• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

337 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2022 at 2:27 PM, DanCooper said:

You will probably enjoy the hunt and thrill of putting together the Showcase run in 9.0+ from issues 25-104. These issues will take some digging, but should be obtainable if you stick with it.

Showcase 1-24 in 9.0+ is going to be a totally different story. It's going to require time, patience, resources and luck to complete.

First, on the resources side. The current Overstreet guide values for Showcase 1-24 in 9.0 is at around $272,000. That would probably be what dealers are willing to pay for those issues, if they could find them in CGC 9.0. Showcase 4 and 22 in 9.0 would probably be that figure alone together, if found in 9.0.

On the time, patience and luck aspects - if a long time, high grade DC collector's collection comes to market in the next few years, that could be an opportunity to get a bunch of issues in grade together. The problem is, in the last 30 years or so, I've only seen about two collections that I know that have produced a run of early Showcases in grade. One was the Bethlehem collection, which yielded some high grade copies (a Showcase 4 in CGC 9.0) and probably the definitive early Showcase collection is the one Mike Goldman of Motor City Comics found in the early 1990s dubbed the "Newsboy Collection".

The "Newsboy Collection" had Showcase 1-8,10-17 and 20 all in high grade. It took Mike about 15 years to let go of them (as a dealer no less!) and that was in 2009 at a Heritage auction, which was probably the most inopportune time to auction off that run due to the lingering financial crisis a year prior (but, that's a whole other story!). The "Newsboy" yielded the high grade Showcase 4 in CGC 9.6. Some issues from that original run have appeared in Heritage auctions over the last couple of years, but that amounted to another decade plus of waiting for an opportunity to obtain. Hence, the time and patience angle. Also, prices for these "Newsboy" issues were up there - (i.e. Showcase 13 $38,400 in CGC 9.2, Showcase 17 $26,400 in 9.0, Showcase 15 $16,800 in 9.2, Showcase 1 $10,200 in 9.0 to give examples of recent high grade Showcase prices compared to guide)

One suggestion on Showcase 1-24 is to lower grade standards to 8.0 (or even 7.5). It will still take some time, patience and resources, but would probably produce a more realistic time frame to complete the run and have at least VF copies and above. It would still be a complete Showcase run hard to beat!

I wish the best on this endeavor! It will be enjoyable watching the hunt here!

I got patience and luck on my side, I will accomplish this task one book at a time haha.  and yeah from 25 - 104 there are some heavy hitters in high grade like 60,79,80, but they arent insanely priced. The biggest trouble im  noticing is actually 91 - 104. 104 in 9.8 is basically a ghost, and the 77' run is very scarce at 9.8. Im so upset ebay glitched and didnt let me bid on the #95 9.8. only went for 62$. There are some issues in the middle of the run that I might pull the trigger on soon.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:55 PM, kagemusha7s said:

I can't imagine setting out to collect the entire Showcase run in 9.0 or better... 

I only have one issue that meets that criteria 

20210919_214629.jpg.c83a561e8c868fa52c614b40be7ecf4d.jpg

Damn Im jealous! Beautiful copy! For some of the harder ones I will get mid to -high grades and upgrade. 

On 11/12/2022 at 5:43 PM, FloridianDemon said:

Yeah I actually tried to find leads on this one today. I did find a raw candidate in the 9.2 range i might take a shot on. Im sticking with goals no matter how silly it sounds :P. Also on the bright side. I just got a #76 Pennsylvania Dutch pedigree in 9.6-9,8 range raw! Getting it graded ASAP. Its getting easier every day haha

On 11/13/2022 at 1:33 PM, FloridianDemon said:

Yeah one will either be a mid to high grade that i will upgrade over time or find a nice looking raw to grade.

Change of mind?

On 11/12/2022 at 5:52 PM, FloridianDemon said:

The biggest trouble im  noticing is actually 91 - 104. 104 in 9.8 is basically a ghost, and the 77' run is very scarce at 9.8. Im so upset ebay glitched and didnt let me bid on the #95 9.8. only went for 62$. There are some issues in the middle of the run that I might pull the trigger on soon.

IMHO not scarce just few submitted due to low demand. Rather standard in my experience for DC non key Bronze. $62 is probably about all it would command in fair auction which is why many won't take on cost of submission as if 9.8 grade not obtained it's pretty much lost money. Now based on your quest I can assume we'll see some highly inflated prices on that era of Showcase for awhile.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/13/2022 at 1:55 PM, MAR1979 said:

Change of mind?

My ultimate goal will be to complete the 9.0 or higher run. Even if I get a 22 at a 4.0 or something it will only be a place holder as I upgrade it. I am mostly trying to hunt down to mid to high numbers right now since I can just grab most in the 9+ range.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:45 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Must be a bunch of this run in high grade online right? Seems like the later issues aren’t that expensive in high grade.

Yes and no. 30 and up in 9.0 + are really scarce. 91-104 for example. on ebay are the currently none in the 9.2+ range from 91 to 94 and from 95 to 104 there is 1 9.8 97 and 1 of 94 and 2 of 100 and 1 of 101. thats it lol . I have bene trying to find #82 in 9.4 or better and that has been hell. Im lucky to have gotten 84 in 9.6. Basically all the ones have so far have no other equal on ebay currently besides the 72. My B'wana Beast has a census of 2.

On 11/13/2022 at 7:54 PM, FloridianDemon said:

Yes and no. 30 and up in 9.0 + are really scarce. 91-104 for example. on ebay are the currently none in the 9.2+ range from 91 to 94 and from 95 to 104 there is 1 9.8 97 and 1 of 94 and 2 of 100 and 1 of 101. thats it lol . I have bene trying to find #82 in 9.4 or better and that has been hell. Im lucky to have gotten 84 in 9.6. Basically all the ones have so far have no other equal on ebay currently besides the 72. My B'wana Beast has a census of 2.

Well here’s issue 78 in 9.4. Priced about the same as a 9.2 on eBay, but you can make offers.

https://www.highgradecomics.com/book-details/?id=26542

On 11/14/2022 at 12:36 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Well here’s issue 78 in 9.4. Priced about the same as a 9.2 on eBay, but you can make offers.

Dudeeee! thanks, thats a nice looking copy. I just orded a PA dutch predigree raw thats around 9.6 so if that doesnt pan out for ever reason im scooping this up. Thanks for the searching, keep em' coming!

On 11/14/2022 at 12:36 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

So I checked out that guy's other stuff and now I face a dilemma. He has a fantastic 9.4 of 59 and its dirt cheap but its a green label due to bottom staple detached.... do I cave and buy it anyway or hold out for a blue label. I actually found  59 in a 9.4 blue label buts its 800. So should I cave and go for the WAY cheaper label or shell out for the blue label.