• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

337 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2022 at 3:16 PM, KCOComics said:

For more history,  KellySuperheros is the notorious comic book super villain Danny Dupcak! 

An infamous con artist, who routinely altered books and sold them as unrestored. He was so talented,  CGC couldn't detect his work.  He was bold enough to fake a warehouse find in Connecticut and sold dozens of SA keys as high grade, untouched books..... in reality,  they were restored and trimmed books he had altered. 

Danny served time for signature fraud on sports collectibles I believe.... 

However - he seems to have cleaned things up with his latest business venture. He still buys hundreds of books and expertly and needlessly restores them. But he does seem to disclose the restoration (all be it in very small print).  

I would also argue,  no one in the world is better at picking out restoration than Danny. So if he tells you there is no restoration, your likely good. 

For what it's worth I've had knowledge board members reach out and point out that not all his current listings are disclosing restoration...  Or at least there are questionable listings and he certainly doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

I don't want to pass it off like everything is fine now, if it's not. He's earned his reputation. 

On 11/9/2022 at 1:35 PM, FloridianDemon said:

Yes. once you hit 30 on onward it isnt too crazy. I have multiple leads on high grade 61's and such. Thats why im clearing out the higher issue numbers 1st since as you said, they are scarce as hell. the 66 for example. 2, thats it. Even the most impressive showcase collection i saw only has it in a 8.5.  but thats the fun!

I applaud your conviction an determination ‼️👍

On 12/25/2022 at 2:20 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Ditto, nice to see him perusing a tough but fun collecting goal.

Thanks a bunch, it's a fun ride so far, I enjoy the hunt. I get doubt here and there, but it drives to me to complete the goal!

Edited by FloridianDemon

For some reason we have a really pathetic troll that’s entered the boards. I think he was banned because that jerk’s posts were deleted, which I don’t believe can be done by a boardie. At least I’ve never been able to fully delete a post after commenting. But I think he’s back in the form of this Et Al character who laughed at our posts and conveniently became a member yesterday. So just taking on a new name. Probably some jealous loser. 

My suggestion to all, just ignore him. Easier to just block him by adding his user name to your ignore user list located in your profile.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 1/3/2023 at 5:10 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

He did an amazing job of hiding that spine. What grade would you give it without punishing it (an optimistic grade)??

Yeah so depressing lol, getting a full refund tho! and as for the grade, prob around 8ish imo, AFTER and clean to get those small stains/spots out.

On 1/3/2023 at 2:13 PM, FloridianDemon said:

Yeah so depressing lol, getting a full refund tho! and as for the grade, prob around 8ish imo, AFTER and clean to get those small stains/spots out.

That’s Kellysuperheroes for you man. Believe it was in that past thread about them I posted or maybe someone referenced it here, but they are notorious for over grading, and hiding it in the photos. As well as the deception with resto once again. I simply wouldn’t touch one of their books with a 1000 foot pole.

Very sorry for the outcome! Also that’s why 100% feedback is soo deceptive. Guarantee you they simply refund an enormous amount of people, thus negating the potential for negative feedback. Or someone thinks they’re happy, posts positive and by the time they grade the book some time later it’s too late.

On 1/3/2023 at 2:10 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

He did an amazing job of hiding that spine. What grade would you give it without punishing it (an optimistic grade)??

Well he didn’t even provide a back cover photo in the auction. That’s a red flag right there. I mean 12 photos at your disposal and you only show the front, while asking hundreds of dollars for a book. Ridiculous! 😒

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 1/3/2023 at 11:10 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Well he didn’t even provide a back cover photo in the auction. That’s a red flag right there. I mean 12 photos at your disposal and you only show the front, while asking hundreds of dollars for a book. Ridiculous! lol

Yeah I should have known :/ there is bright side though... I have spare cash these auctions coming up
Comic Link :: The Online Vintage Comic Book and Comic Art Auction and Exchange

On 1/3/2023 at 8:15 PM, FloridianDemon said:

Yeah good stuff man! Go get some of those legit copies. haha

Sorry it didn't work out on that 28 Floridian. A 9.4 on that one would be epic. I'm still looking for that issue myself. 

I cant find anything to add to my collection at the moment. The periods of time waiting for a good candidate to appear on the market are getting much longer. I'm sure you will encounter this at some point in the Showcase quest.