• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Superman #70 - GRADE IS IN
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Wow, Nice Book!!!

Edge wear with a small color breaking "dent/tear" at upper outer edge, slightly rounded corners w/slight creasing, minor spine stress w/color breaking spine ticks, discolored staples, slight spine roll/fanned pages.

IMO, it is the small tear at the top of the outer edge that prevents this book from being a higher grade, IMO...

FN+ 6.5

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

6.5 FINE+ (FN+):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

On 11/9/2022 at 8:38 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Wow, Nice Book!!!

Edge wear with a small color breaking "dent/tear" at upper outer edge, slightly rounded corners w/slight creasing, minor spine stress w/color breaking spine ticks, discolored staples, slight spine roll/fanned pages.

IMO, it is the small tear at the top of the outer edge that prevents this book from being a higher grade, IMO...

FN+ 6.5

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

6.5 FINE+ (FN+):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

Thanks! Yeah that small piece that's torn makes me nervous. The book would definitely benefit a press, but I'm worried that piece would come off.

70 year old book, I'd hesitate to press it too unless it was someone who handled books like this al the time. I can see a GA bump to 7.0. I wouldn't cry foul with a 7.5. Looks better than the newer Swamp Thing book in round 3 of the grading contest, and came out as a 7.5.

On 11/9/2022 at 8:03 PM, scburdet said:

70 year old book, I'd hesitate to press it too unless it was someone who handled books like this al the time. I can see a GA bump to 7.0. I wouldn't cry foul with a 7.5. Looks better than the newer Swamp Thing book in round 3 of the grading contest, and came out as a 7.5.

Honestly that doesn’t worry me much. I’ve gotten 70+ year old books pressed all the time with a local guy, or I use or CCS. I mean of course it’s a risk in general lol, but I’m fine with it. Like I said above, I’m more just worried with that slightly torn piece on the top right. That’s certainly a risk to come off. But I think you’re spot on with the grading!

On 1/18/2023 at 3:29 PM, scburdet said:

I'm declaring myself the winner as the only person who entertained going over 7.0

Celebrate New Girl GIF

You win sir 🙌.

And yeah I knew a press would do wonders for it, as I mentioned previously it would benefit a press. I definitely think everyone was in the correct range pre pressing. It would for sure have come back a 6.0-7.5 without it.

On 1/19/2023 at 11:18 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I went 7.5 before scrolling down because I know GA books get some love...this one def did, great grade. That small chip or rip on leading edge kept me out of VF range outright personally.

Yeah here‘s the end result. The biggest thing I was worried about was that small piece torn on the top right. I knew if it could stay on after CCS pressed it, I felt fairly confident I’d have a shot at an 8.0. Wasn’t sure I could get an 8.5, but knew 8.0 was possible. It’s just a super nice copy, and the main issues were pressable.

95C9C0DE-44A0-41D4-853A-9F7141FE67B0.jpeg

On 1/20/2023 at 10:28 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah here‘s the end result. The biggest thing I was worried about was that small piece torn on the top right. I knew if it could stay on after CCS pressed it, I felt fairly confident I’d have a shot at an 8.0. Wasn’t sure I could get an 8.5, but knew 8.0 was possible. It’s just a super nice copy, and the main issues were pressable.

95C9C0DE-44A0-41D4-853A-9F7141FE67B0.jpeg

For the win!!!!