• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting Started

3 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm completely new to all of this.  I'm interested in selling my comic "collection."  I have over 1000 comics from 1960's and early 1970's, mostly Marvels.  According to Overstreet, most of them would be worth $20-$80 if they were graded 6.0.  Over 50 of them look to be worth over $100 if graded at 6.0 , and a couple of them over $1000 at 6.0.  I don't know how they'd be graded.  They've all been in sleeves with backing cardboard for at least 20 years.  Where should I go from here?  Thanks for any advice anyone has.    

On 11/10/2022 at 6:04 PM, mmoore875 said:

Hi all, I'm completely new to all of this.  I'm interested in selling my comic "collection."  I have over 1000 comics from 1960's and early 1970's, mostly Marvels.  According to Overstreet, most of them would be worth $20-$80 if they were graded 6.0.  Over 50 of them look to be worth over $100 if graded at 6.0 , and a couple of them over $1000 at 6.0.  I don't know how they'd be graded.  They've all been in sleeves with backing cardboard for at least 20 years.  Where should I go from here?  Thanks for any advice anyone has.    

Hi and welcome.

Based on the work you already did, I'd say go to the "Buddy Can You Spare a Grade" forum, read the sticky post there, and make posts for the ones you think have the most value.   Forum rules are only 3 posts per day (at least the last time I looked).  You'll get opinions of the condition based on the quality of the images you upload.      That will give you an idea of value to make slabbing decisions.     You can see values per grade on sites like Ebay (sold listings), goCollect, Covrprice.  There's also subscription sites like GPA analysis (goCollect is part free & part subscription).  You can even make free accounts at the auction sites (ComicLink/Heritage/Comic Connect) to track auction results.   I'd also say to take a look at MyComicShop.com

As far as the ones which you think are in the under $200 range, you'd have to figure out the total cost to slab (shipping, insurance, packing supplies, turnaround time etc) versus selling them raw (ie unslabbed) - and how much effort you're willing to put in to sellng them.  Ebay will require the most individual effort.  Many here use MyComicShop - there's at

thread around here somewhere about people's experiences using them.   You can also sell here on the boards - there's sticky posts in the selling forums about how to use them.  Though it may help to establish an 'online presence' first.  There's also a "Want to Buy' section where you may find posters asking for comics you have

I've been slowly selling my raw comics on Ebay for the last 2 years and have done a few sales on the boards here.   I don't mind the effort and find it an enjoyable hobby.

You also may want to look into getting fresh bags if the current ones are yellowed.

Also - look into finding a used copy of the Overstreet Grading Guide on Ebay if your'e interested in honing your grading skills.

Feel free to tell us your gems (pics too!)   We love that stuff!

Edited by csaag
Typo

I'll echo allot of the advice above. 

I would probably inventory the books and identify the most valuable ones (which it sounds like you've done). 

Use the "spare a grade" section here as mentioned above to get an approximate grade and determine approximate value, then I would send the bigger books to CGC. You can decide what the value threshold should be, for what books go to CGC. $500... $1k...  There is a cost to CGC so you should try to get a clear understanding on the ROI for getting a book slabbed. 

For a selling platform, Mycomicshop will make the process easiest while making sure you don't get hosed by fees and stuff.  I would start with them. 

you can list on eBay yourself, but I think you'll actually end up paying more in fees at the end of the day if you have a regular account. 

good luck!! 

Edited by KCOComics