• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All things Russ Heath
4 4

211 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2023 at 4:15 PM, buttock said:

Absolute banger

Yeah - to be clear, that's from the book I posted. Whoever owns that piece has my undying envy.

I was just thinking, if only IDW could do an artist edition of his OA! Although they did print a portfolio of Yellow Heat [which I don't own].

https://aeindex.org/reviews/russ-heaths-yellow-heat-artists-edition-portfolio/

Russ Heath's Yellow Heat Artist's Edition Portfolio

On 3/26/2023 at 9:20 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Yeah - to be clear, that's from the book I posted. Whoever owns that piece has my undying envy.

It sold on Clink long ago when I was a poor student.  If it came up again...

On 3/26/2023 at 9:20 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I was just thinking, if only IDW could do an artist edition of his OA! Although they did print a portfolio of Yellow Heat [which I don't own].

I chatting with the IDW guy a while back about why they haven't done a Heath AE.  My feeling is that Flesh and Steel was coming out soon and might conflict with sales.  But Lord knows there's enough material out there to make several outstanding volumes.  

On 3/26/2023 at 11:20 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Russ Heath's Yellow Heat Artist's Edition Portfolio

I visited Russ Heath in his apartment back in the 90s and he took out this story to show me.  Even though he's notoriously critical about his work, he was quite pleased with efforts on this one.

On 3/26/2023 at 7:57 PM, adamstrange said:

I visited Russ Heath in his apartment back in the 90s and he took out this story to show me.  Even though he's notoriously critical about his work, he was quite pleased with efforts on this one.

It's beautiful work. The fact he kept it must have made things so much easier for IDW. Many of their art editions have to collate OA from a wide range of sources/owners.

Someone on a different forum collated what we have of Heath's work so far, so I thought I'd share:

- Flesh and Steel
- the Joe Kubert Enemy Ace Artist Edition
- the Best of DC War Artist Edition
- the Mad Artist Edition (the Plastic Sam story)
- and of course in Russ Heath Yellow Heat Artist Edition Portfolio

Best-of-DC-War-Artists-Edition-interior-17-1536x1138.jpg

..and in other good news, FG are promising to publish a line of Atlas Comics Library. The first one will feature Russ Heath among others.

https://www.fantagraphics.com/collections/coming-soon/products/adventures-into-terror-the-atlas-comics-library

Adventures Into Terror cover image

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 4/7/2023 at 7:20 PM, BOOT said:

It is amazing to see all these in such great condition. You were smart to pick up all these gems! Thanks for sharing them!

:gossip: they used to be quite cheap back “in the day”. I wish I had bought more but was mostly chasing PCH instead. 

On 3/27/2023 at 7:54 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Cross-posted in the recent pre-code pick ups thread, but hey who doesn't want to see the 1st appearance of Gorilla Man more than once. Great Zombie cover by Mr. Heath as well.

image.png.4217539e41aaf52dfa434070ada19548.png

where were you around midnight?

DF9A802C-B1BE-40A5-995C-D56C7C9FED89.jpeg

Edited by tabcom