• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live - anyone buying?
3 3

120 posts in this topic

I bought a modestly priced contemporary/modern cover. I missed it last CAF Live, and the seller worked with me a bit. Overall happy with it, but pricing is making decision making more difficult. After I bought it I basically tuned out and quit looking. 

The pre-show want list email alerts didn’t really work for me. I received one email with one piece of art in it. 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:41 PM, Andahaion said:

I bought a modestly priced contemporary/modern cover. I missed it last CAF Live, and the seller worked with me a bit. Overall happy with it, but pricing is making decision making more difficult. After I bought it I basically tuned out and quit looking. 

The pre-show want list email alerts didn’t really work for me. I received one email with one piece of art in it. 

Did you click the keyword links? The email takes you to a page that has all your keywords on it and you have to click each keyword individually to see the results that it found for each one 

On 11/12/2022 at 10:22 PM, JC25427N said:

Did you click the keyword links? The email takes you to a page that has all your keywords on it and you have to click each keyword individually to see the results that it found for each one 

Man do I feel like an insufficiently thoughtful person!  I was on my phone when I received the email and did not realize each of my keywords was its own link.  

On 11/13/2022 at 3:20 AM, New School Fool said:

Continues on from the last Comic Art Live I thought it was a one off with the crazy pricing but obviously I was mistaken. 

I'm sure we all saw the absurdity of the 5 mil price tag on the ASM #300 cover. It's laughable, especially as we all know how much he bought it for. This changes the way I feel about him and all other 'collectors' trying to take advantage. Scambags, the lot of them.

Edit: I was going to joke on how a lot of the Comic Art Live listings will end up in the attempted flip of the day thread, and sadly that actually seems to be the case.

Maybe you should open a gallery & show them how it's done.

I’ve bought a few pieces during past Comic Art Cons and while they are a few pieces that interest me but nothing in particular jumps out at me as an instant buy.  The items that interest me are out of my budget range and a couple of sellers have reached out to me about price reductions but I will wait and see if the Sunday drops hold anything that’s right up my alley.

There is piece that I would love to have upcoming on Heritage but I have absolutely no luck on that site but that may be because of my own misunderstanding of the workings of their auction rules.  I’d like to keep any funds to buy the Heritage piece but I know I probably won’t reasonably win it.

On 11/13/2022 at 3:20 AM, New School Fool said:

Continues on from the last Comic Art Live I thought it was a one off with the crazy pricing but obviously I was mistaken. 

I'm sure we all saw the absurdity of the 5 mil price tag on the ASM #300 cover. It's laughable, especially as we all know how much he bought it for. This changes the way I feel about him and all other 'collectors' trying to take advantage. Scambags, the lot of them.

Edit: I was going to joke on how a lot of the Comic Art Live listings will end up in the attempted flip of the day thread, and sadly that actually seems to be the case.

This is the attitude that is becoming more and more prevalent in our hobby and it's making it a lot less fun. The entire comment -- and especially calling him a "scambag" -- also reeks of envy and bitterness at what others have that you do not have. It's unfortunate that people in the comic art collecting community are so envious of others' collections that they can't enjoy this great hobby and they have to try to tear others down to be happy. I'm involved in other collecting communities and the envy and bitterness seems to be the worst in the comic art world.

Who cares what someone paid for a piece of art? If someone gets a page of art at a yard sale for a buck, does that mean he or she should only sell it for a buck fifty? Come on. Comic art is an investment, no matter how much people say it's not. When I sell, I'm not going to ask exactly what I gave for a piece and trade dollars for dollars.

The price the seller is asking for the Amazing Spider-Man #300 cover is, I'm sure, what it would take to get him to sell. He's one of the best guys in the hobby and is definitely not a scammer. You should reach out to him and discuss the asking price of the ASM #300 cover art before you start attacking him.

That being said, the prices in this CAF Live are very aspirational/aggressive/optimistic and, I believe, based directly on high auction results. The prices are high and I've not seen a whole lot of the higher-priced pieces sell, but, I think that's because there isn't the bidding frenzy and fear of missing out that is caused by an auction.

A lot of the pieces up for sale are covers and pages that have been for sale for a long time and people have seen them increase in value while sitting on websites, unsold, all this time.

I understand that many people are upset over the rising prices and a lot of people complain that they are "priced out" of the hobby, but nothing has changed in the 20+ years I've been collecting. Byrne Uncanny X-Men was higher than I could afford then, just like it is now, but there are plenty of pieces that I can afford and enjoy that Byrne drew that cost a fraction of a UXM page.

There are also options for people to buy that are cheap -- $100 or less -- every day. There are plenty in this CAF Live, proving anyone can own a piece of original art. One option is to go check eBay. I still pick up very cheap pages there. Heck, I have been selling cheap pages for years for $50-$100. Last year, I put up some very nice Marvel and DC pages for $100 each and couldn't get anyone to buy (except a guy who wanted to make payments on a $50 page ... at a few dollars a month...). I just bought a whole bunch of pages for $50 each, so I know the bargains are still out there to be had.

When I got into then hobby, I just wanted original art. I was so fascinated by the process and holding in my hands a piece of a comic book's creation that I would buy whatever I could afford -- meaning I bought pages that were far less than $50 in most cases, all the while keeping my hopes up that, one day, I could afford a cover. I never once hated other collectors for having more than me or owning art I could never afford.

I find the most happiness and satisfaction in what I am blessed to own and I'm glad for everyone who has the art they have.

On 11/13/2022 at 12:29 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

I bought a great silvestri X-men page for a reasonable price.. so no complaints here.. yes some of the asks are aspirational but why wouldn't they be?? With the auction results and how far those dollars go in art.. it seems not smart if you aren't aggressive . 

I agree 100% with this. While there are aggressive asking prices in CAF Live, sellers should not be expected to sell at 2002 prices.

And dealers are competing with auctions to stay afloat in this hobby. It's tough for them to get great pieces nowadays and they have to adjust their prices to keep up.