• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live - anyone buying?
3 3

120 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2022 at 1:30 PM, skrilla1212 said:

I took the ASM 300 listing and price to be a bit tongue in cheek. Listed super high, not really trying to sell. But it’s kinda fun to see a $5M item for sale (whether it’s worth $5M or not).

I love to see what type of  pieces people want to offer who aren’t dealers. Yes, 90%+ is same/priced not to sell/not my cup of tea, but I find at least 15-20 pages that I consider fair priced and unique offers.

An X-men 25 page for $10K that would have been more at HA, a Tom Strong 1 page, 2 early Porter JLA pages, an early Bachalo GenX page, are a few example of the types of pages I thought fit that bill.

First year I didn’t buy anything, but that’s just down to my personal budget at the moment.

I commend folks for making things available outside of auctions and consignments. Hope it keeps going.

This guy gets the joke. It’s funny to me that people in this thread actually took Dinesh seriously. Lighten up friends. This was about having some fun in the hobby. We don’t need to take everything so serisously. We aren’t saving lives, we are collecting funny book art. This is a fun weekend we can all enjoy and laugh together!

Edited by Xatari

On 11/13/2022 at 5:21 PM, Xatari said:

This guy gets the joke. It’s funny to me that people in this thread actually took Dinesh seriously. Lighten up friends. This was about having some fun in the hobby. We don’t need to take everything so serisously. We aren’t saving lives, we are collecting funny book art. This is a fun weekend we can all enjoy and laugh together!

All good, but just curious how it's funny to you that some folks took Dinesh seriously given many don't know him at all or well, and there was no additional context other than the price itself. I mean, are we not supposed to take certain dealers seriously when they post high-end art at 2-3x comps/perceived FMV?

On 11/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, Kryptic1 said:

It doesn’t bother me as much when I see a high price on a piece that’s been off the market for a long time.  Comps can be all over the place, so it’s reasonable to start high and adjust from there.  It really bothers me when I see pieces that sold at auction a few months ago priced at a multiple of the auction price.  There’s no argument that the market is there, it’s just someone hoping to take advantage of an inexperienced collector.  People rightly call out the dealers known for doing this; it isn’t any better coming from a “collector”.

If someone gets a deal on a piece and then asks more for it because that’s what the market is, I don’t have a problem with it. Like I said earlier, who cares what people pay? It’s none of my business what you pay for something. If I’m willing to pay your asking price, it doesn’t matter what you paid for it.

I’ll also add this: it doesn’t matter if you have it a single day or 20 years, the piece is yours to sell at whatever price you want — whenever you want.

On 11/13/2022 at 5:21 PM, Xatari said:

I didn’t take it as a joke.  I thought it was a RICHARD move, at the expense of other collectors.

both you and Dinesh have lost a lot of respect and goodwill this weekend.

Let me know if you still find this “funny”

On 11/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I didn’t take it as a joke.  I thought it was a RICHARD move, at the expense of other collectors.

both you and Dinesh have lost a lot of respect and goodwill this weekend.

Let me know if you still find this “funny”

More sad than funny. Not entirely sure what I did to offend you but hope you still had a good weekend and enjoyed the event. Happy to chat privately if you feel you need to vent. 

On 11/13/2022 at 3:05 PM, Lago32 said:

All good, but just curious how it's funny to you that some folks took Dinesh seriously given many don't know him at all or well, and there was no additional context other than the price itself. I mean, are we not supposed to take certain dealers seriously when they post high-end art at 2-3x comps/perceived FMV?

This is a guy who started his new company by having people click an online button, turned a comic book company into a donut dealer, gave out the painted art rocks as collectible giveaways, and had a Kickstarter to shut down his business at NYCC with fans protesting around the convention. In my opinion it’s refreshing to see someone enjoy the hobby and bring some fun back into the industry. He’s fairly public, so I guess I’m surprised to see anyone taking this seriously. That’s what I meant. 

Edited by Xatari

On 11/13/2022 at 10:21 PM, Xatari said:

texplainthejoke.jpg.2c12715a8c9eb7e431636fada96f416e.jpg

On 11/13/2022 at 6:21 PM, Xatari said:

This is a guy who started his new company by having people click an online button, turned a comic book company into a donut dealer, gave out the painted art rocks as collectible giveaways, and had a Kickstarter to shut down his business at NYCC with fans protesting around the convention. In my opinion it’s refreshing to see someone enjoy the hobby and bring some fun back into the industry. He’s fairly public, so I guess I’m surprised to see anyone taking this seriously. That’s what I meant. 

I hear you and he sounds like a fun dude. My point remains that lots of dealers/collectors nowadays offer high-end art at what can be called ambitious prices, and without additional context how is one to discern what is serious and what isn't....fun dude or otherwise.

Getting back to the thread topic though. I sold a few piece (TMNT Last Ronin page and an Iron Heart cover AP). Both pieces were under $2k. 

On the buying side, I grabbed the Darkhawk 1 cover (new series not original) for full ask. I missed out on the Future State Batman page today which apparently had a lot of interest.

Lastly I had several high end pieces listed (Marvel Spotlight 5 Johnny Blaze and Hawkman 4 Zatanna pages). Not sales but decent interest with a few trade offers, just not pieces in which my particular interests lean toward. 

On 11/13/2022 at 3:33 PM, Lago32 said:

I hear you and he sounds like a fun dude. My point remains that lots of dealers/collectors nowadays offer high-end art at what can be called ambitious prices, and without additional context how is one to discern what is serious and what isn't....fun dude or otherwise.

Fair point, but ASM300 is so far out of my league I just laughed about it when I saw it myself. 

On 11/13/2022 at 11:31 PM, Xatari said:

I don’t get it. Is this post a joke? :baiting:

The point is, if you need to explain a joke, then it's a pretty bad joke.

Great that you got a laugh out of it, but yes - with no context, what is anyone supposed to think? Even after your explanation....I'm not sure I'm buying your 'it's just a prank bro' post.

Edited by New School Fool

I feel like Dinesh didn't commit enough to the joke, if he fully committed to it then it would be easily recognizable as a joke. Should have priced it at $69,420,000. 

But joke or not, I don't see anything heinous or overly malicious here. I don't think theres a new collector out there whos going to deer in headlights run into this cover and pay $5M for it out of impulse. If anything what this is going to cause is some sellers might see it and increase their own prices with the justification "The cover to ASM 300 was advertised for $5M, that makes this page from ____ for X price a deal!" but that might have happened anyway :sumo:

Edited by JC25427N

Surprised by anyone who’s upset at anything offered for sale.

There are dealers and flippers (amateur dealers?), and sure prices can look absurd to keep up with auctions. But a vast majority of offerings at CAF Live are folks selling from their collections. Some are priced to sell, others are priced with “what it would take”. Which is about par for the course when trying to do private deals in my experience. Hit or miss.

I didn’t take the ASM so much as a “joke”, rather, if you wanted it today that’s what you’d have to pay. Maybe it’s a future state or multiple of FMV, but I appreciate someone willing to do that