• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live - anyone buying?
3 3

120 posts in this topic

I think, with a big Heritage auction on the immediate horizon, people were more inclined to hold back and gamble later than pay these aspirational prices today.  Had prices been lower and had the event had more space between it and next weekend, maybe people would’ve been more engaged.

I bought a Ditko Daredevil 235 page last event, but it was aggressively priced to sell and I couldn’t pass it up.  I saw no deals of that ilk this time around

Edited by Grant Turner

On 11/13/2022 at 8:28 PM, Grant Turner said:

I think, with a big Heritage auction on the immediate horizon, people were more inclined to hold back and gamble later than pay these aspirational prices today.  Had prices been lower and had the event had less space between it and next weekend, maybe people would’ve been more engaged.

I bought a Ditko Daredevil 235 page last event, but it was aggressively priced to sell and I couldn’t pass it up.  I saw no deals of that ilk this time around

I do think collectors/dealers did themselves a disservice by not pricing their art a little lower to try to lure some of the cash away from the upcoming auctions.

On 11/13/2022 at 8:33 PM, Michael Browning said:

I do think collectors/dealers did themselves a disservice by not pricing their art a little lower to try to lure some of the cash away from the upcoming auctions.

There were 3 pages I would have bought if prices were just 15-20% less. And this based on my opinion they were 30%+ overpriced. But what do I know 

On 11/13/2022 at 7:57 PM, John E. said:

With two hours to go, 541 out of 6,074 piece of art sold. Sheesh. Collectors really sat this one out. I’m interested to see what Bill saw on his side of the screen. 

I have 35 "saved" artworks from the weekend and only 3 sold with 1 being a purchase by me that was an offer of 80% of the list price. Most are way under $500 so I swim in the small fish pond and it will be interesting to see how the economy as a whole impacts these prices. 

I know crazy prices on art can get us all fired up. But I feel there was a lot of over reaction to the listings from Dinesh. When I saw the prices I just chuckled and said, "well that's a clever way of saying I don't want to sell."

Then I had to go back through some of the other listed prices on House 92 and ASM. I thought dang, maybe just maybe a few of these could get close to ask ha ha.

These are crazy times. I never would've started with "Dinesh is a ____. I would've emailed him on anything that I was interested in. Otherwise I wouldn't have cared very much what he listed prices at he's a collector. I didn't think he was joking I just thought he didn't really want to sell unless he got a surprisingly strong offer

Dinesh if you really didn't want to sell these you took a risk, even if most think you overpriced ha ha. Funny if someone called your blufflol

I also think, it’s easier to assume you’re getting FMV (even when you’re not) in an auction as there are other people willing to pay at the level you’re paying for a said piece.

in a show or with a dealer, it’s easier to question whether a price is too high (even if it isn’t)

On 11/13/2022 at 9:09 AM, Michael Browning said:

And dealers are competing with auctions to stay afloat in this hobby. It's tough for them to get great pieces nowadays and they have to adjust their prices to keep up.

From my amateur perspective, it seems like the dealer situations are like this: Buy collections with sketches, prelims, commissions that don't turn as fast - while marking up the sellable published/big name pieces quite a bit to cover the long term costs of hanging onto the slow-selling, lower-priced pieces.

I hope everyone who was itching to buy got good stuff :)

I hope everyone who had pieces to sell, at least enjoyed the opportunity even if they didn't sell :)

I hope guys who just like to window shop got to see cool art they never saw before.

I hope guys who just like to make fun of other guys prices don't get the same response if they ever try to sell :)

I think its understandable for guys to price aggressively if they have a real need to sell (for whatever reason), but they don't really want to sell.

Edited by Infamouspure22

We all have our own approaches.  With crazy auction prices, I was gun shy in trying to sell higher end pieces.  I would just consign them.

That's why most of mine were only a few hundred bucks, even if I priced it "too cheap" I would only have left 50 bucks on the table :)

I hear people saying their $$ for heritage, but I think the majority of the items for sale on CAL were not really competing with HA, they were lower end.

Malvin

On 11/13/2022 at 6:31 PM, G.A.tor said:

There were 3 pages I would have bought if prices were just 15-20% less. And this based on my opinion they were 30%+ overpriced. But what do I know 

@G.A.tor I am curious, did you reach out and offer 80-85% of the ask? I know someone did that one of my pieces, and I accepted. May be worth opening communication. 🤷‍♂️ 

On the buying end, I personally didn’t want to risk losing the pieces I was after and paid full ask just to secure the pages. 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:22 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Happy CAF live weekend everyone! 

posted this one in honor of this thread!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1869206

Nice! Totally agree there can be fun had at any level of this hobby. Let’s breathe a little easier and laugh a little more. Such a fun time to be collecting! I’m so grateful for so many of you all and really appreciate the great friends I’ve made along the way. 

On 11/14/2022 at 2:28 AM, Grant Turner said:

I think, with a big Heritage auction on the immediate horizon, people were more inclined to hold back and gamble later than pay these aspirational prices today.

Not only that but also, for some of us (at least in Europe) , 3-4 large auctions in France/Belgium in the next 30 days. For a long time I felt like European art was really expensive compared to US art, now it's the opposite :nyah:

On 11/13/2022 at 10:37 PM, Xatari said:

@G.A.tor I am curious, did you reach out and offer 80-85% of the ask? I know someone did that one of my pieces, and I accepted. May be worth opening communication. 🤷‍♂️ 

On the buying end, I personally didn’t want to risk losing the pieces I was after and paid full ask just to secure the pages. 

Of course. Received no response back on 2 , 3rd was a fair counter but more than I wanted to pay 

Edited by G.A.tor

I actually thought that, on the whole, prices were more reasonable than the last time out, and ended up buying 3 pieces (all in the $1-3K range). I also considered some other pieces that I thought were either priced to sell or at least priced potentially to sell. 

Edited by delekkerste