• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live - anyone buying?
3 3

120 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2022 at 8:24 AM, G.A.tor said:

Guess if folks don’t even have the courtesy to respond (I sent two inquiries of interest and neither bothered  to respond ), maybe that says more than their pricing. Who knows 

Wow! I'm shocked.  Just so I am clear, these pieces didn't sell, and you sent an inquiry with a question or an offer off their listed price?

I guess it's just me.  I almost always respond. Even on CAF when people lowball me on NFS pieces I send a polite reply saying it's NFS.

Malvin

On 11/15/2022 at 9:38 AM, malvin said:

Wow! I'm shocked.  Just so I am clear, these pieces didn't sell, and you sent an inquiry with a question or an offer off their listed price?

I guess it's just me.  I almost always respond. Even on CAF when people lowball me on NFS pieces I send a polite reply saying it's NFS.

Malvin

Same yeah their were two pieces I sent stuff on as well no response I assume a lot of art does sell on there that is not captured by the reporting… sellers being lazy :) I bet the reported sales is far less then actual my two cents 

On 11/15/2022 at 11:38 AM, malvin said:

Malvin

Correct 

On 11/15/2022 at 1:39 PM, J.Sid said:

Are there any pricing restrictions in place for sellers? What's to stop me from listing my Chas Truog Animal Man panel page in the event at $5m?

During the recap, Bill quoted the total amount of art that was on offer by collectors, and also in total with dealers. He'll use that to compare to other CAF Live events and likely in advertising sales decks, but now we've established that the quoted number is effectively inflated by the $5m. So now Bill has to put a caveat on the offered amounts by carving out "joke offers".

Anything that makes Bill have to do more work when not absolutely necessary isn't very cool in my book.

-Bob

Edited by Sideshow Bob

On 11/15/2022 at 10:39 AM, J.Sid said:

Are there any pricing restrictions in place for sellers? What's to stop me from listing my Chas Truog Animal Man panel page in the event at $5m?

No pricing restrictions.

But if you have the secret sauce to boost Animal Man pages to $5M each, let me know how I can help, I have lots! :flipbait:

Malvin

This is my fifth Comic Art Live (out of 6) that I’ve sold in. I didn’t hit my sales goal, but that’s okay. Still what I like about the event is that it prods collectors who usually don’t sell, to sell. And it’s nice seeing a lot fresh-to-market art. I noticed that a lot of sellers who participated in 2020 who brought some great stuff at reasonable prices were absent this time around. Whatever the case may be for that, personally, all my inventory was wiped out by the third show. By the fourth show, I brought out small sketches and all my sales were under $100. This is to say that I didn’t see a lot of vintage art coming out of black holes this time around. A lot of what I saw that was overpriced were commissions and new art bought & overpaid from an art rep. I don’t know…I wish I had the evidence to prove it…but it seems to me a lot of the art offered is art recently acquired, maybe last last 2-3 years, likely bought at close- to full market, and so it’s sold at 100%-150% at current market just to make it worthwhile. Because bottomline is that most of us don’t want to take a bath on it. But no one actually hangs on to their art long enough to let it “naturally” increase in value. 

In reference to the lack of response, it is possible the sellers didn’t see the messages. I actually found two messages from the last CAF Live event in my own CAFL inbox because they don’t go to your main mail (it’s an entirely separate messaging system). Any CAF Live inquiry also send an email to the seller, but it may get filtered by the email host.

This actually cost me a sale last event since I didn’t see it. May not be the fault of the seller, especially if they are well known and respected in the community. 

I bought 2 pages from 2 sellers for the first time at caflive. Take into account timezones. I am in Europe, so I got response to my requests when I was already going to bed. So I replied when I woke up and the Us based sellers were in bed then. 
Also I didn’t have the time to go through all the art offered because of weekend commitments.

maybe they could start the next event already om a friday and do 3 days. 
I find 2 days a bit short to have the art offered, it’s online afterall. Not like we have to be present all the time.

This was CaFLive #6 for us-- we've been in them all and each one has subsequently grown for us.   This time around we kept our sales goal the same as last time rather than increasing it and we hit it to the penny.   

I also bought a few pieces and unlike previous years the seller(s) responded immediately and I already have some of the art in hand. CaFLive remains our favorite of the half dozen or so cons that we do, Bill is great and CAF has always had some great folks on it.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:12 PM, Heidjer Staecker said:

Just received my one purchase.  I have been looking for a Marvels: Eye of the Camera page, and landed on the perfect one ... with Monsters!  I am in awe of Jay Anacleto's pencils.

Marvels EotC 3 p15.jpeg

Congrats on that! I was considering that page and put it on my watch list while I finalize other things.  At the end of the day when I wanted to look at my watch list to reconsider stuff, I saw that this was gone.

Congrats again.

Malvin

As I stated before, I didn’t make any purchases during CAF Live but placed a few pieces on my Saved List.  A couple of sellers reached out to me during the event but the prices were still out of reach.  However, one seller reached out to me after the event ended and we were able to come to an agreement.  I just made the first timed payment today so I hope to add another page to my collection in the near future…

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel