• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay low balling
2 2

67 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2022 at 5:16 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 8.15.27 PM.png

so this is interesting...the 'dont allow offers' disappears with auction and Buy it now..when I posted my auction the other day, without a buy it now..there was no button for 'dont allow offers' just like in the middle...so maybe just a glitch with Ebay..either way, I just decided to take my offerings off Ebay...too much inconsistency

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 9.40.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 9.41.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 9.41.52 PM.png

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 11/13/2022 at 11:42 PM, Ed Hanes said:

so this is interesting...the 'dont allow offers' disappears with auction and Buy it now..when I posted my auction the other day, without a buy it now..there was no button for 'dont allow offers' just like in the middle...so maybe just a glitch with Ebay..either way, I just decided to take my offerings off Ebay...too much inconsistency

If I'm not mistaken, if you set it up as an auction, you can either add the Buy It Now option or Accept Offers option, but not both. 

I reach out to sellers all the time with mixed results. Some sellers are refusing to let 2020 prices go. Those days are gone and likely never coming back so sellers should watch auctions and adjust the buy it now prices. Otherwise, they wont sell much stock.

I watch cgc 9.8 books sell for less than $100 at auction while the lowest buy it now price available is like $240. (shrug)

On 11/14/2022 at 8:52 AM, lostboys said:

I reach out to sellers all the time with mixed results. Some sellers are refusing to let 2020 prices go. Those days are gone and likely never coming back so sellers should watch auctions and adjust the buy it now prices. Otherwise, they wont sell much stock.

I watch cgc 9.8 books sell for less than $100 at auction while the lowest buy it now price available is like $240. (shrug)

If I send an offer that seems low compared to their BIN, I'll usually send the most recent sales to justify my offer.  They can accept or reject, but at least I avoid leaving the impression of not giving a serious offer as can sometimes be the case when the offer price is much lower than their expected sale price.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:06 AM, ExNihilo said:

If I send an offer that seems low compared to their BIN, I'll usually send the most recent sales to justify my offer.  They can accept or reject, but at least I avoid leaving the impression of not giving a serious offer as can sometimes be the case when the offer price is much lower than their expected sale price.

Yeah, I do the same ..using GPA/Go Collect/MCS auctions

On 11/13/2022 at 10:32 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

You may be listing books with reasonable prices, but many sellers do not. It isn't unusual for eBay sellers to list books for many times what they are worth. That's especially true for raw books for which there is really no demand at all. I routinely see books that I would expect to see in the $3 bin at my local LCS priced at $50 or $100 on eBay.

So much this.

Someone had a raw comic listed for $90 with 'make an offer' active. (fair price on that comic) I offered $80 for it and the person immediately changed the price to $150 and made a counter offer of $145.

Needless to say, I did not and will not do business with them.

On 11/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, Lothran said:

So much this.

Someone had a raw comic listed for $90 with 'make an offer' active. (fair price on that comic) I offered $80 for it and the person immediately changed the price to $150 and made a counter offer of $145.

That's :censored:ed, but I think I've seen an eerily similar story before. I just can't imagine a world where I list an item for $90 OBO, and then raise the price after an offer... If $90 was a steal, they'd outright Buy It Now...

On 11/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, Lothran said:

So much this.

Moronic if it's seller trying to earn a living, but if a person just looking to occasionally get lucky and sell an item for some extra scratch then it makes sense. Either way it is most certainly a D 1 C K move

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/13/2022 at 9:32 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

You may be listing books with reasonable prices, but many sellers do not. It isn't unusual for eBay sellers to list books for many times what they are worth. That's especially true for raw books for which there is really no demand at all. I routinely see books that I would expect to see in the $3 bin at my local LCS priced at $50 or $100 on eBay.

I don't usually bother offering less that 50%. If a seller is asking more than twice what I think a book is worth, I just figure the seller is delusional or not really motivated to sell.

Even with pricier books, it isn't unusual to see absurd asking prices. I've seen $5,000 books priced at $50,000; I've seen PLODs or GLOD priced just like they were blue-label books, etc. Maybe there are inexperienced buyers out there who will pull the trigger on books like that, but most of the time the books just sit there for years.

I couldn't agree more. Some Ebay sellers price their books at 2021 prices. My feeling is they're hoping for a gullible buyer or they have no real intention of selling the book. And they become quite indignant when you make a reasonable offer (like 15% below the asking price).

You have to keep a sense of humour when it comes to selling stuff on Ebay.  Yes, lowball offers can be annoying but at the same time it's part of the song and dance  What bothers me is when people post a low price on Ebay  but then jack up the shipping and handling cost to get the actual price that they want for the item/book. 

-RKSM  

Edited by RedKryptoniteSuperman

Seems to me folks toss up books just to flex. They know the price listed is ridicules but to them who cares "I have it and you don't." I also think a lot of big books are listed just for bait, to get some eyes on lower tier books. Finally every offer is a lowball when your prices are from peak 2021.

Some people list things at prices they know are way over but are fishing for someone to pay it. Recently there was a basketball card I wanted which was listed for $5,000. I knew it was way over priced and offered $800. He countered at $1,400.

It doesn't cost anything to make an offer and it doesn't cost anything to decline or ignore low ball offers.

On 12/18/2022 at 3:55 PM, Red84 said:

It doesn't cost anything to make an offer and it doesn't cost anything to decline or ignore low ball offers.

Agreed. Some sellers have become sensitive since the bubble burst, and feel entitled to get 2020/2021 prices.  Those days are gone and the confluence of events that led to them ain't a comin' back for a decade, perhaps even 2 or 3 or never...

Once again; sellers with true business acumen that understand cash flow is king, NOT getting what they feel is max price per item, will weather the storm as it worsens.

Edited by MAR1979