• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay low balling
2 2

67 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2022 at 11:17 AM, Inhuman Fiend said:

Auto-reject eliminates all the low-balls, I highly recommend!

What I do continue to get though, is people who don't make an offer...but instead message me asking "what's the lowest you would sell this for?"...I get that at least a few times each week. 

Do you just reply with the existing list price?

Sometimes I send them a direct offer a bit higher than I would probably accept, sometimes I just encourage them to make an offer. Never, ever has any of those people either accepted (or even tried to negotiate) the offer I send them...or made an outright offer. And ALL my items are priced at (or below) current GPA.

So these are just complete waste of time cheapskates :facepalm:

Edited by Inhuman Fiend

Don't waste time dealing with low ballers....what's annoying for me is when people ask 'what's the lowest you'll take' or 'do you accept offers' both on items with a fixed price.  In most cases the fixed price is very low and in some auctions, at a price that's so low I don't even list any more listings in that price range since it's not worth my time.  In both cases I just ignore the messages, not worth it.  I price these to sell, if people don't like it, then can move on.

I usually just don't respond to lowball offers. Now & then, I might counter with a reduced price (10% - 20%). Some jerks will counter that by adding $1 to their original offer. If I'm feeling frisky, I'll send them a message with some slightly colorful language.

I am a lowballer. But in the realm of sanity. For instance, if someone offers a book for $ 200 I offer 150 to 160. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I always ask if the seller has more books. Last week I got a 6.5 Cowgirl Romances 9 for $ 50 that way. Dealing outside of Ebay is risky but so far I got not burned yet. I check the sellers score, I Email with him and try to get a feeling if the the person is honest.

On 11/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, Lothran said:

So much this.

Someone had a raw comic listed for $90 with 'make an offer' active. (fair price on that comic) I offered $80 for it and the person immediately changed the price to $150 and made a counter offer of $145.

Needless to say, I did not and will not do business with them.

Pretty sure this isn't possible. A seller cannot change the price of an item with an offer pending. They would need to decline the offer and then change the price...in which case you would then need to submit a new offer before they could counter-offer. 

It seems that most ebay sellers see "make an offer" as a ten-percent discount AT MOST. It always seems strange to me, because if you were anywhere else, haggling for any other kind of product--a car, an antique, whatever--buyer offers of, say, 70% of the asking price wouldn't be dismissed out of hand by most sellers. But for back issue comics on ebay, any offer of less than 90% gets an automatic rejection in my experience. There are ebay comics sellers who will keep the same items listed for months and months rather than budge on their price. 

On 12/23/2022 at 7:56 AM, g-man said:

does anyone have any success sending offers to watchers? I get a counter maybe 1/10 times and set no limits. Lowballers welcome! 

I think it's cyclical - I had a lot of luck a month or two ago, now, zero percent effectiveness (I try to send with counter-offers off, but I don't always catch it). And I'm throwing out decently priced offers to watchers.

Some guy got all worked up on a Best Offer listing - he made four offers from $300-$400 and emailed me on the fifth asking what the offer minimum was, so I told him I can't take less than $425, and of course...crickets... couldn't seem to come up with that extra $25 lol

As a matter-of-fact just today I had a $495 mid-grade GA PCH book being watched, sent an offer of $395 (which is a little below market value) and I happened to miss my counter-offer setting so they came back with a counter of $100. lol

I re-countered with a price of $4300 and then blocked 'em. :yeehaw:

On 12/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think it's cyclical - I had a lot of luck a month or two ago, now, zero percent effectiveness (I try to send with counter-offers off, but I don't always catch it). And I'm throwing out decently priced offers to watchers.

Some guy got all worked up on a Best Offer listing - he made four offers from $300-$400 and emailed me on the fifth asking what the offer minimum was, so I told him I can't take less than $425, and of course...crickets... couldn't seem to come up with that extra $25 lol

As a matter-of-fact just today I had a $495 mid-grade GA PCH book being watched, sent an offer of $395 (which is a little below market value) and I happened to miss my counter-offer setting so they came back with a counter of $100. lol

I re-countered with a price of $4300 and then blocked 'em. :yeehaw:

So annoying when you forget and miss that :roflmao:I always think to myself thats not happening again !

People sending me messages offering half , Priceless , I only get a little annoyed and really move on and who knows just because it annoyed me more than i realized at the time I just might up the price ! Crazy thing for me my sales are slower but my sales level range of my monthly average is the same as 2 years ago . I am now being forced to work less harder .:roflmao:

On 12/27/2022 at 6:54 AM, Mark Warren said:

It seems that most ebay sellers see "make an offer" as a ten-percent discount AT MOST. It always seems strange to me, because if you were anywhere else, haggling for any other kind of product--a car, an antique, whatever--buyer offers of, say, 70% of the asking price wouldn't be dismissed out of hand by most sellers. But for back issue comics on ebay, any offer of less than 90% gets an automatic rejection in my experience. There are ebay comics sellers who will keep the same items listed for months and months rather than budge on their price. 

I usually try to give an enticing discount, that’s just my style. I think what we might see going into next year is even less budging on price due to the $600 threshold reporting issue.

For those who are keeping good bookwork, I think the new taxes on reported sales will have to be represented in the seller’s markup, and that will result in either higher prices or less discounting. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ll be doing it that way to make sure I’m covered.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 12/27/2022 at 8:54 AM, Mark Warren said:

I deal in comics, cards, and toys and comic book people are BY FAR the absolute WORST when it comes to making deals. On cards it’s not uncommon to offer say $3000 on a $5500 ask and get an immediate accept or offer $175 on a $300 BIN toy and get it without a counter. But you send an offer for $150 on a $200 comic and they react like you’re trying steal milk from a baby. 

Some time ago a sales thread went completely unnoticed mostly because the books were somewhat common and way overpriced. After two or three desperation, borderline angry, bumps by the seller the following encounter took place.  I’ll admit nobody elected me to play the huckleberry but sometimes I can’t help myself. The names have not been withheld to protect the innocent. Another example of one’s lowballer being another’s baller. 

2366D94A-83B6-48DC-84FE-3CDAD9002363.jpeg

A147E640-558B-47C8-B7B1-02D21AD77240.jpeg

EBCF7366-9E84-4E5A-8CB7-04F0C6A208E8.jpeg

Edited by ThothAmon

This is why I don’t mind lowballing or getting lowballed.  Sometimes prices are purposefully or accidentally waaayyy overpriced.

As long as everyone is polite, it doesn’t hurt to ask, or to say ‘no’ if the deal isn’t right on either side.

but also for eBay (or other sale platform websites) I also am happy to set an auto decline below certain prices, and don’t mind if I get auto-declined when making an offer.  

On 12/31/2022 at 9:25 AM, ThothAmon said:

Some time ago a sales thread went completely unnoticed mostly because the books were somewhat common and way overpriced. After two or three desperation, borderline angry, bumps by the seller the following encounter took place.  I’ll admit nobody elected me to play the huckleberry but sometimes I can’t help myself. The names have not been withheld to protect the innocent. Another example of one’s lowballer being another’s baller. 

2366D94A-83B6-48DC-84FE-3CDAD9002363.jpeg

A147E640-558B-47C8-B7B1-02D21AD77240.jpeg

EBCF7366-9E84-4E5A-8CB7-04F0C6A208E8.jpeg

On 12/31/2022 at 8:51 AM, Cman429 said:

I deal in comics, cards, and toys and comic book people are BY FAR the absolute WORST when it comes to making deals. On cards it’s not uncommon to offer say $3000 on a $5500 ask and get an immediate accept or offer $175 on a $300 BIN toy and get it without a counter. But you send an offer for $150 on a $200 comic and they react like you’re trying steal milk from a baby. 

1 thing about it is Comics have been King for quite some time now and that probably has something to do with it .With the Movies making Comics pretty dang popular its not like everybody has to have a Joe Montana RC or a Ken Griffey Jr RC or but they sure think they need to have a Spidey 129 or Hulk 181 . Sure Michael RC is pretty still popular but probably not as popular as Spidey 1 .

On 12/31/2022 at 9:40 AM, revat said:

This is why I don’t mind lowballing or getting lowballed.  Sometimes prices are purposefully or accidentally waaayyy overpriced.

As long as everyone is polite, it doesn’t hurt to ask, or to say ‘no’ if the deal isn’t right on either side.

but also for eBay (or other sale platform websites) I also am happy to set an auto decline below certain prices, and don’t mind if I get auto-declined when making an offer.  

Heck yeah as long as everyone is respectful it does not really bother me at all . When they offer half it gives me the opportunity to think about then decline as its not my only listing :roflmao:

On 12/31/2022 at 7:06 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I usually try to give an enticing discount, that’s just my style. I think what we might see going into next year is even less budging on price due to the $600 threshold reporting issue.

For those who are keeping good bookwork, I think the new taxes on reported sales will have to be represented in the seller’s markup, and that will result in either higher prices or less discounting. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ll be doing it that way to make sure I’m covered.

Its been 20000 for me for a little while which is fine but the 600 dollar thing is a attack on the American people , its ridiculous in nature !