• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay low balling
2 2

67 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2022 at 10:25 AM, ThothAmon said:

Some time ago a sales thread went completely unnoticed mostly because the books were somewhat common and way overpriced. After two or three desperation, borderline angry, bumps by the seller the following encounter took place.  I’ll admit nobody elected me to play the huckleberry but sometimes I can’t help myself. The names have not been withheld to protect the innocent. Another example of one’s lowballer being another’s baller. 

2366D94A-83B6-48DC-84FE-3CDAD9002363.jpeg

A147E640-558B-47C8-B7B1-02D21AD77240.jpeg

EBCF7366-9E84-4E5A-8CB7-04F0C6A208E8.jpeg

That explains a lot given his meltdown. I think he was stuck in that 2020 thinking that people are still tripping over themselves to pay $30 for a $12 book.

On 12/31/2022 at 10:25 AM, ThothAmon said:

Some time ago a sales thread went completely unnoticed mostly because the books were somewhat common and way overpriced. After two or three desperation, borderline angry, bumps by the seller the following encounter took place.  I’ll admit nobody elected me to play the huckleberry but sometimes I can’t help myself. The names have not been withheld to protect the innocent. Another example of one’s lowballer being another’s baller. 

2366D94A-83B6-48DC-84FE-3CDAD9002363.jpeg

A147E640-558B-47C8-B7B1-02D21AD77240.jpeg

EBCF7366-9E84-4E5A-8CB7-04F0C6A208E8.jpeg

That's our friend longshot who just went on the probation thread for books being damaged due to poor packing.  

I set offer minimums on my books I have listed on eBay just so I don't have to deal with low ball offers. As someone who buys a lot of slabs on eBay when I see a book listed for way over market price I would message the buyer if they are taking comp prices before I even put in an offer.

This may be slightly OT, but earlier this year I listed a mid-grade Captain Britain #1 complete with mask for $200. I then got a direct message asking me would I sell just the mask and what would I charge.

I told him "sure!" and $200.

On 12/23/2022 at 4:48 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Pretty sure this isn't possible. A seller cannot change the price of an item with an offer pending. They would need to decline the offer and then change the price...in which case you would then need to submit a new offer before they could counter-offer. 

You can change the price on a book really fast after hitting the reject button.  If you send an offer on a book that is already a steal then you run the risk of the book getting pulled and repriced.  I use to send bulk offers to guys like Bob on his website and he would usually decline and raise the price on me if it was a steal so I just grabbed the books at his asking price.  I learned my lesson and some people don't.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, ThothAmon said:

Thanks. I’ve recently been questioning my monthly GPA subscription. That with eBay sold and HA archive’s being free. Seems like an awful lot of money for what I’m receiving some 8 years in. 

I find MCS a more valuable tool than ebay sold, but one should have many tools in their bag.

On 4/24/2023 at 11:23 AM, 1Cool said:

You can change the price on a book really fast after hitting the reject button.  If you send an offer on a book that is already a steal then you run the risk of the book getting pulled and repriced.  I use to send bulk offers to guys like Bob on his website and he would usually decline and raise the price on me if it was a steal so I just grabbed the books at his asking price.  I learned my lesson and some people don't.

Yes, but OP said seller changed the price and then counter-offered on an existing offer.  This is not possible. 

Yes, there are definitely some sellers that are spiteful as well. Of course I also wouldn't blame sellers for blocking people that constantly low-ball. It's just a waste of everyone's time. Better to move on from those kind of buyers.