• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Store stamp
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I know in the past store stamps would get blue labels, with it noted at the top, assuming it might drop it some in grade also. I thought I had seen that now store stamps get green labels, is that true? Tried looking online but couldn't find an answer. Or does it matter if it is golden age vs modern? I know store stamps were common back in the 40's. Thanks! image.png.3b28e3f21dc2c83104833d9dc3dc3ecf.png

On 11/16/2022 at 8:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The era may matter. I think that the only Qualified labels I have seen for stamps are when there's a store stamp on a Modern outside of a blank area designed for store stamps.

I believe this is the truth. For example, the free comic book day first app of Umbrella Academy had a spot where stores could stamp their store info. Some even would apply a sticker to this area. This would probably get a qualified label or see a grade reduction as it is seen as damaging to a book by today's standard.

Many comics with date stamps from the 40's through even into the late 80's might get more of a pass. Granted, you had comic collecting at this time but not to the scale it is today where such a thing is seen as a negative. Personally, I love an older date stamp or store stamp but would pass on a newer comic with one.

Unless CGC has changed their philosophy, a date stamp is considered part of the distribution process and should not impact the grade or label.

Store stamps post-distribution such as a stamp from a used bookstore stamped on a secondhand comic may be a different story. 

According to what I've read, small unobtrusive store stamps on the cover are still allowed up to a 9.8. But if a stamp is large, obtrusive, covers important parts of the front cover, or is applied multiple times, it can have an adverse effect on the grade, possibly dropping the grade into the VF range. And stamps on the interior pages generally have little to no effect on the grade. 

I hope this helps...and Happy Thanksgiving!   :cheers:

On 11/23/2022 at 12:36 AM, DUMMO said:

Is there a cut-off year when they become damage?

Please bear in mind that stamps are much less common these days than they were in the past. So, while it may be unusual to see them on modern books, I believe the above grading rules would still apply.

However, I'd be interested in seeing some examples of stamps on modern CGC graded books... 

I realize that these descriptions are "generalized", they do not point to any specifics (just like the rest of grading, lots of "Gray" areas) and that a book is graded on its entirety, here are the descriptions of store/date stamps by grade.

VG 4.0 - Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade.

VG/FN 5.0 to VF 8.0 - Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present.

VF/NM 9.0 - Several lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable.

NM- 9.2 - MT 9.9 - Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location.