• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink results
2 2

90 posts in this topic

So, someone is bound to start it so it might as well be me.

Any thoughts on the comiclink results?

How many people didn't even know it was running :devil:

It's early, but I think I saw less pages in their next auction, so maybe people are not consigning as much with them.

Malvin

Some interesting data points on monoprint resales tonight and recently on Heritage.

Russel Dauterman - Thor Omnibus #3 cover- original sale $500, sold on Heritage 10/22 for $264

Two other recent interiors by Dauterman from Thor went for a $29 increase over original (with BP) and $31 loss over original price on Heritage.

Russel Dauterman - X-Men Legends #1 variant cover - original sale $1,000, sold tonight on Comiclink for $348

R.B. Silva - Powers of X #2 cover - original sale $1,000, sold tonight for $336

R.B. Silva - Powers of X #3 cover - original sale $1,000, sold tonight for $617

Thought it was worth including the Heritage results because someone will likely say on this thread that pieces underperform on CLink.  Also, not bashing monoprints, I own one and bid on 2 of the above auctions and watched all 6.  I like them myself, and will likely buy more, depending on the artist and story.  Just seems that the asking price on some at drop may be higher than is warranted without the FOMO element of not getting shut out on the initial opportunity .  Also, a feeling I can relate to as well.  I find these results helpful in deciding what prices to pull the trigger in the future and thought others might find it useful or interesting as well.

Hey Malvin, 

I had comics up so I previewed the art just because I was looking at my stuff every day. 9 pages or so not compelling the overall selection.

Many of my modern books went at swap meet prices a few for less than the grading fee. The art selection didn't seem to bring healthy prices either.

Seriously starting to question giving C-Link respect even as a second option. I've overlooked a lot of goofy  stuff but just as a "member" I won't be listing books or art with them until I see the necessary improvements.

If anyone sold I hope you broke even or a little better. Buyers if you found anything you're probably happy with the price.

Edited by grapeape

I used to bid a lot on low end art at Clink untill the summer. I don’t anymore because they doubled overseas shipping from usd100 to usd200. I am not willing to pay that, since I know FedEx costs aprox usd80 from My ComicConnect wins.
if they lost more overseas bidders because of the shipping costa, well results might be lower!

About what Sean says about auction loss vs original rep sales peices, I agree.

I see a lot of new art offered from modern artists on reps sites that imho are too high.

For example, this year at clink I won a 1988 FF page by Pollard (no FF on the page) for a little more as usd300 and a 1979 Cap page by Sal (not in costume) for aprox usd450.

and reps post new art where there are new modern similar talking head pages offered in the same price ranges. 
It just doesn’t make sense to me!

another example, I like the art on an Image Comics book. Looked it up online and the rep listed pages in the usd300-400 (no action pages). Last year one page showed up on c-link and I won it for Usd155. 

On 11/16/2022 at 4:06 AM, RafaVia said:

I used to bid a lot on low end art at Clink untill the summer. I don’t anymore because they doubled overseas shipping from usd100 to usd200. I am not willing to pay that, since I know FedEx costs aprox usd80 from My ComicConnect wins.

I had read on another thread that CLink had jacked up the shipping cost by double on a U.S. buyer/Boardie here, and their art wasn’t even that high of value. He called them and asked them what was up with that and CLink relented and charged them at the regular shipping rate. It may be worth calling them ahead of time to make sure you get charged a fair rate although I know that puts an extra step and burden on your part. 

On 11/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, malvin said:

How many people didn't even know it was running :devil:

For my particular area of focus, there wasn't much I was watching. I even cruised the auction twice before the end to make sure I didn't miss anything I might be interested in - and I didn't.

The Darkclaw page seems kind of normal anymore - 90's Marvel pages (even Amalgam) - especially mutant stuff - just gets so much action, it's hard to figure out what constitutes as a "decent price". I am no expert and I am still struggling with the fluctuation in interior page valuation on the Mutie books to figure out where I need to be in order to land one I want.

On 11/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, RafaVia said:

Just put in your max bids and then go and do your stuff. Next day you see if you won something or not.

That is how we Europeans do it. Put bids in before going to bed.

I prefer to bid live. The two I won were at the top of my snipe max, and I’ve no doubt they would have gone higher if I bid earlier. 

I got a couple of lower priced pieces including a DPS. There wasn't a lot that I was passionate about this time around, but I'm glad with what I got. It was just as well since I got some things on CAF Live's event that dwarfed them.

C-link’s auction - which I forgot about until today - had some great art sell very, very cheap. I think there’s a lot of factors with C-link that’s keeping their results in the tank. I didn’t even think about it - at all - and I was bidding on two lots. Oh well. I didn’t get a text notification reminding me.

Not being able to track stuff is ridiculous and, when I miss C-link auctions like I did last night, I just don’t  care. Except that I wish I’d bought all the art that sold for less than $100. 🤦‍♂️

Lots of C-link sellers are rethinking their decision to sell through them after last night, I’d almost bet.

We will see how everything plays out with the HA.

On 11/17/2022 at 8:06 AM, batman_fan said:

WOW, many of those seem really low

Super low. I was shocked, because it’s just the opposite at HA. If you had $10,000 to spend, a collector could have bought a lot of art for cheap. Heck, even if he didn’t like the art, it would still be great for future trades and sales.

I didn't win any art, but I won a bunch of slabs at below slabbing cost. Nothing exciting, just modern run books for registry sets. I pick up a few things at CLink every month, and prices have been trending downward overall. As a buyer, it has been great! I'm winning stuff with my "tracking bid"! I'm hoping the next session will go even lower, as it'll be during the holidays, and markets overall are trending down.

As far as art, I only bid on one piece, which I didn't win. It sold about where I'd expect it to sell, but I'd hoped to steal it. Oh well.

Anyone care to do analysis on Comicconnect?

As much as Clink's interfaced sucked, it's good for the hobby if there is a viable alternative to HA.

Hopefully Clink is encouraged to invest and modernize their platform (or whatever else they need to be more competitive).  I mean I know they are not part of comicarttracker results because they blocked them. That can't help.

Malvin

Edited by malvin