• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink results
2 2

90 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2022 at 5:59 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Doug told me point blank nope, they like it the way it is. My sense is they have no long-term plan for the business, other than continuing to maintain status quo.

Once again, I will say that I had a lengthy (and friendly) conversation with Doug nearly 10 years ago.  I used to consign and purchase equally from Clink and HA at that time.

Point by point, we went over my concerns and recommendations as both a buyer and consignor.  All were shot down in favor of their existing platform, which remains the same today. 

On 11/17/2022 at 2:59 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Doug told me point blank nope, they like it the way it is. My sense is they have no long-term plan for the business, other than continuing to maintain status quo.

I'm assuming that they like it the way it is as long as they make money the way they do.

If they don't make as much money or before (or lose money as people stay away), they should re-evaluate all their decisions.

Malvin

On 11/17/2022 at 7:43 PM, malvin said:

I'm assuming that they like it the way it is as long as they make money the way they do.

If they don't make as much money or before (or lose money as people stay away), they should re-evaluate all their decisions.

Malvin

I know of numerous OA consignors that no longer do business with Clink.  Hence the reduction from 9 pages worth of OA listings down to the present 4 pages.

Likewise, Clink used to be the place for better results on slabbed comics, but HA has since closed the gap considerably and once again, less consignors now based on sales results over the past few years.

Their business model of hitting consignors with a 10% fee has worked quite well for them during covid as prices shot up, but let's see what happens when prices continue to drop?

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 11/17/2022 at 10:29 AM, malvin said:

As much as Clink's interfaced sucked, it's good for the hobby if there is a viable alternative to HA. Hopefully Clink is encouraged to invest and modernize their platform (or whatever else they need to be more competitive).  I mean I know they are not part of comicarttracker results because they blocked them. That can't help.

As I understand it, CLink considers their interface to be a feature, not a bug, so change is unlikely. Also, CLink's low margins are attractive for buyers but also make capital expenditures unlikely. I too would like to see viable alternatives to HA though.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:04 AM, drdroom said:
On 11/18/2022 at 8:46 AM, Twanj said:

Stop trying to force Comic Link to be better guys! lol

I second this! Shopping on C-link is great!

This thread is the best advertising Clink has had in years!

Just when we were thinking that there were no bargains to be found anymore ...

I don’t think too many sellers made much money, looking at the results. It was poor timing to have an auction with such lackluster art and it’s obvious that unless a seller has next to nothing in their art, they should sell elsewhere.

There needs to be competition for Heritage — and C-link was the best competition it got until recently — and now, after two very lackluster and unremarkable auctions, it looks like the No. 2 spot could be overtaken by CC or Hakes, if they can find a way to get better results.

I wish C-link would listen to its buyers — and sellers. They’re as resistant to change as the newspaper business was when they internet came around and we see what happened there.

Edited by Michael Browning

Seems as though a pro buyer market amplifies the negativity against CLink.  The auction houses are separated by their bidding styles more than by the quality of their websites imho. Seems to me CLinks abrupt end to their auctions in a down market may not elicit the same Hail Mary high bids that it did in a zooming market. That said a Wrightson piece sold yesterday on HA for a little more than half what I sold it on eBay in 2021. Consignor prolly not happy. 

On 11/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, RBerman said:

As I understand it, CLink considers their interface to be a feature, not a bug, so change is unlikely. Also, CLink's low margins are attractive for buyers but also make capital expenditures unlikely. I too would like to see viable alternatives to HA though.

I guess place me in the minority - I love CLink and the interface. I don’t mind the others, but I prefer CLink to everyone else.