• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick picks: Terry McGinnis or Miles Morales ???

Batman Beyond 1 or Ultimate Fallout 4   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Batman Beyond 1 or Ultimate Fallout 4

• Batman Beyond
    • Ultimate Fallout

30 posts in this topic

We can talk about a falling market until it isn’t anymore. This isn’t a question of whether or not it’s a good time to buy these books but which is the better bet going forward.   

Batman Beyond/Terry McGinnis is a fan favorite based on a TV series that ran from 1999 to 2001. A comic miniseries also started in 1999. 
According to Comicvine, Terry has 384 comic book appearances. He also had his first video game in 2000 which didn’t pan out so well overall.

Miles Morales/Ultimate Spider-Man  is also a fan fave. That said, popularity was slower in coming. He first appeared in comics in 2011. Miles has 1006  using Comicvine as our source.   His first big hit was a PlayStation video game. Then 2018  brought the breakout animated movie Spider-Man Into the Spider-verse. He’s also made various animated TV shows and appearances. He has another animated  movie coming out in 2023. 

Neither of these characters hit it big from comics though now, they both  have huge followings in that format and more.

Disney is pushing Miles into every potential format possible. It appears safe to say that he has the larger name recognition at this point in time.

What is to keep Warner Bros. from doing the same thing with Terry. He’s another interesting character with unlimited potential as far as storytelling goes. He’s been well received once, so why wouldn’t they pursue this in the future ? 

My opinion? Terry may never be as popular as Miles due to the enormous push from Disney for the latter. Still, it’s hard to imagine that there are 9 Miles collectors for every 1 person collecting Terry’s book. 

Here’s some food for thought. There are more than twice as many Ultimate Fallout #4 in 9.8 as there are Batman Beyond graded copies from 0.5 to 9.8 combined. 

What are their intangibles ? Which stories other than their first appearances matter or have potential ? Are there any better modern picks than these ? 

I really can’t decide but feeling like there might be reasons for both to have at least a chance to be the winner. 

Diclaimer: I still own 7 copies of CGC graded UF4 and 1 of Batman Beyond 4. 

Batman Beyond 1

9.8.  411

9.6.  451

9.4.  232

Total 1568 graded copies

Percentage of total graded

9.8   26.2

9.6.  28.8

9.4.   14.8

UF4

9.8.   3642

9.6.   4021

9.4.   2322

Total 14054 graded copies 

Percentage of total graded 

9.8.    25.9

9.6.    28.6

9.4.    16.5

5E17E370-9D71-4D51-83BA-D8D7D3B66FEB.jpeg

FD4AB2D8-DA37-4AC0-BD66-1F54152CE007.jpeg

9FCCE5DA-1F8E-4063-9CD5-3A5394E0434B.jpeg

Edited by the authority

On 11/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, the authority said:

According to Comicvine, Terry has 384 comic book appearances.

Miles has 1006  using Comicvine as our source.

Those numbers mean nothing. They are absolutely worthless garbage.

On the general topic, both books are way overpriced. They're both derivative characters with limited (but not zero) upside at this point.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:39 PM, Lazyboy said:

Those numbers mean nothing. They are absolutely worthless garbage.

On the general topic, both books are way overpriced. They're both derivative characters with limited (but not zero) upside at this point.

Where would we find more accurate numbers ? I’ll make corrections. 

As for the upside ? I heard this when Ultimate Fallout was $10, $20, and so on. Maybe they go up, maybe they go down. Everything in my collecion seems to be going down right now compared to last year, but up compared  to 5 years ago. Neither of us know which way they’ll head for certain.  I’d still like to hear opinions. Thanks for sharing yours. 👍

Edited by the authority

On 11/16/2022 at 2:17 PM, the authority said:

Where would we find more accurate numbers ?

I don't know who, if anyone, tracks that, but I do know there's no chance Miles has averaged 8 appearances per month since he debuted!

On 11/16/2022 at 5:55 PM, Lazyboy said:

I don't know who, if anyone, tracks that, but I do know there's no chance Miles has averaged 8 appearances per month since he debuted!

Yes, that seemed high to me too. So I went back and looked at the books they said he appeared in on their list. 

There are over 50 foreign issues on the list. Not sure if some are unique stories but I tend to doubt it.  There are also a good number of reprints. Still, I was surprised to see how many he’s actually in because there is only so much that I can, or that I’m willing to read. Its apparent to me that Marvel/Disney has him in heavy rotation. He does a lot of crossovers and is in more than a couple of group books. Here’s what I’ve found so far as their list.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/miles-morales/4005-79420/

On 11/17/2022 at 12:53 PM, ygogolak said:

DC or Marvel? Is this a question right now?

With James Gunn involved with DC movies and shows, it’s possible. There was a time when Superman was the the talk of the town. Later Batman, the X-men, and Spider-Man. Then the MCU kicked into high gear. The only constant has been change. 

In 2020, Batman Beyond was selling for slightly more than UF4. The characters are very similar in design and in how they follow the legacy characters Batman and Spider-Man. 

While I wouldn’t call Batman Beyond #1 rare by any means, it is rare for a modern comic bringing this kind of money not to have more graded copies on the census. Do they exist ? If so, why are there so few graded in comparison to UF4 ? 

It would be great to see them in live action movies or series. We know that they both work well in  animation.

I’m betting that over the long haul, both will increase in value. At what rate, who can say for sure ? 

There is a Spider-Man 2 for PS5 due to be released in 2023 and a very good possibility to include Miles Morales again. May give the UF4 a decent boost, or at the least a short lived boost.

“There are multiple foes. I can say the story very much continues and picks up from Marvel’s Spider-Man to Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales,”

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/spider-man-2-is-still-slated-for-2023-and-making-good-progress-insomniac-says/

On 11/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, the authority said:

What are their intangibles ? Which stories other than their first appearances matter or have potential ? Are there any better modern picks than these ? 

I really can’t decide but feeling like there might be reasons for both to have at least a chance to be the winner. 

Spider-Men #2 remains the most undervalued modern comic.

On 11/19/2022 at 11:21 AM, darkstar said:

Spider-Men #2 remains the most undervalued modern comic.

I had the variant that I found in the bin, but I traded it in to the LCS. 

On 11/19/2022 at 6:38 PM, the authority said:

What happens in Spider-men #2 ? Haven’t read it.

Wish I had read it to tell you, I opted to keep #1, due to me reading and owning the preview for it previously. 

On 11/19/2022 at 7:45 PM, darkstar said:

This is their entire encounter in issue 1.

sm1.png.706fa7d6add3a8e93942bfe94d1ca73c.png

doh!lol:roflmao: When you read the preview with the same cover as #1, don't they meet more than that? lol and yet #1 with the same cover as the preview, that's it?

I'm so confused! :ohnoez:

Thanks for clarifying though!

since I've read very minimal Miles issues, the preview I remember the kangaroo shows up, I don't really remember the Spider-man too much in the preview except with Captain Marvel.

I'm sure #1 will still matter someday, I kept it cause it was similar to the preview, and if anything had a "shot" I spec'd it was the preview.

Still #2 seemed like a normal issue, but I found the ratio so to the LCS it went :shy: 

On 11/19/2022 at 7:59 PM, the authority said:

Makes sense why issue #2 will be a big deal. Just picked one up. That’s exactly the kind of information I was seeking. Much appreciated. 

ok so #1 isn't a "meeting worth mentioning", but they don't do "meetings the same as 1st app, with cameos and such"

Is it now just to ignore #1?

I remember when everyone did that with ASM #134 and I got that in the same bin at a con as a X-force #11, bought for the same price, and then eventually caught on, but idk. I get where your coming from though. They technically meet in #1 though, and it's not like they'll say cameo, if it ever gets a label notation?

I don't know how word of mouth goes with these things, so it's better for me to ask questions! :shy: 

On 11/19/2022 at 8:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ok so #1 isn't a "meeting worth mentioning", but they don't do "meetings the same as 1st app, with cameos and such"

Is it now just to ignore #1?

I remember when everyone did that with ASM #134 and I got that in the same bin at a con as a X-force #11, bought for the same price, and then eventually caught on, but idk. I get where your coming from though. They technically meet in #1 though, and it's not like they'll say cameo, if it ever gets a label notation?

I don't know how word of mouth goes with these things, so it's better for me to ask questions! :shy: 

Haha. I may buy a set. Don’t know how good the miniseries was but it’s hard to go wrong on a Spidey book. Especially with two of them. 

I don’t think you’re wrong to hold onto issue #1. People/collectors definitely don’t seem to care for cameos…until they sometimes do. I can’t keep up. 

First time meetings is a thing I see lasting into eternity like first covers, etc.. Glad to know about both of these issues. 👍