• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics 3 on Heritage Signature Auction might have a married cover that isn't disclosed?
8 8

55 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2022 at 2:09 PM, 10centcomics said:

I was tempted to bid on the low grade (CGC 1.0) Suspense Comics 3 coming up in this week's Heritage Signature Auction. As I was poking around for historical prices paid for the book, I noticed that the same book (in a different holder by a competitor grading company) was sold by HA in 2017. Back then, the book was marked as incomplete, missing the final 4 pages. There is no such mention of missing pages in the 2020 grader notes (https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/2139877002/) for the recent listing.

Link to 2022 Signature Auction: https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/suspense-comics-3-continental-magazines-1944-cgc-fr-10-light-tan-to-off-white-pages/a/7283-93084.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Link to 2017 Sale: https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/suspense-comics-3-incomplete-continental-magazines-1944-cbcs-pr-05-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7158-91111.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

What's going on here? I don't think it was originally mistakenly graded by the other company. Nor do I think one of the owners magically stumbled upon the 4 missing pages and added them back to the book. It's possible the most current grading missed married pages but that seems unlikely based on how easy it is to identify married pages (misaligned staples, in consistent tanning, different cuts of paper, etc.) I took a closer look at the high-res scans and I think it's obvious the cover is the same based on the major chipping, the "a" pencil mark, and the ink stain on the top right corner. However, if you look at what's visible of the the interior pages from the cover scan, this does not appear to be the same interior book. The tanning of the pages are different but that could just be the scanner. More telling is the top right page corners: for the 2017 listing, those corners are flaked off whereas they look sharp in the 2022 listing. The center staple also appears to be positioned differently.

It seems the cover from the 2017 book was married to a different coverless (but otherwise complete) copy and this went undetected. I could see how a married split cover would be harder to detect than a married page, especially given all the chipping defects and spine damage. If I understand correctly, CGC doesn't use green qualified labels for low-grade books. But if the cover is indeed married, shouldn't this be disclosed in the grader notes and does it still belong in a blue holder? 

Would love to get thoughts and comments from the community here. Thanks!

Great job!  

On 11/18/2022 at 3:55 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Jesus.  I get why it was pulled.  But for the record, I don’t care if it’s married, in fact, I’m cool with it.  I will trade anything I have for it.  100% not BSing here.  That is my end all be all book.

It should have been stated but when you have a copy that is all that matters in any form 

On 11/18/2022 at 12:55 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Jesus.  I get why it was pulled.  But for the record, I don’t care if it’s married, in fact, I’m cool with it.  I will trade anything I have for it.  100% not BSing here.  That is my end all be all book.

You and me both. I don’t know I would trade anything I have for it. But I have lusted for it since the first time I ever saw it. I don’t care the condition as long as the cover is intact. This copy would more than suffice for me. But, like any book, I want to know what I am buying and be able to pay accordingly. Somebody really dropped the ball on this one! 

What I've done when I simply can't locate a book I want, or until I do, is to buy a replica/reproduction of it on eBay, where there are several sellers of public domain books.  the $14 copies have interior pages sorta like cover stock, the $150 copies have newsprint pages, and look and feel like the real thing.  Now IDK if any are listing Suspense 3, but it might not hurt to contact them and ask if they could do one.

On 11/18/2022 at 8:55 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Jesus.  I get why it was pulled.  But for the record, I don’t care if it’s married, in fact, I’m cool with it.

Ditto.

• Administrator

This book was returned to CCG to assess the grade assigned in 2020, and it’s confirmed the grade is correct. It appears that CBCS assumed the book contained 16 full wraps, when in fact the book has four tipped in pages in the front (16 pages) and 12 pages in the back. Also, the first 6 pages are not detached; only the centerfold is.

On 11/28/2022 at 12:18 PM, CGC Mike said:

This book was returned to CCG to assess the grade assigned in 2020, and it’s confirmed the grade is correct. It appears that CBCS assumed the book contained 16 full wraps, when in fact the book has four tipped in pages in the front (16 pages) and 12 pages in the back. Also, the first 6 pages are not detached; only the centerfold is.

Mike,  that's not correct. 

If you look at the original back cover pictures,  the interior pages clearly had rat chew. 

The new photos show no rat chew. 

The interior has been changed and the new interior is now complete. Because of the loss of paper around the center staple it's nearly impossible to detect the marriage. 

CGC needs to look at the old pictures. 

On 11/19/2022 at 7:33 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Totally agree.  I think everyone would like to know exactly what they would be buying before they plop down the FAT STACKS OF cash.

FTFY

On 11/29/2022 at 6:23 PM, CGC Mike said:

I received this message from the team:

CGC reviewed the book again. The grade is now a Qualified 1.0 with married cover and centerfold.

GLOD 1.0? So I have a chance... :ohnoez:

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/30/2022 at 11:15 AM, comicjack said:

Still with the 1.0 married i'm thinking a 15k book or higher :flipbait:

I think that's a solid estimate. I'm kind of excited to see the (eventual) auction because the amount of people with war chests to go after that book is probably quite a few. GLOD or not, getting a piece of that book at a more accessible grade might turn out a lot of people. Maybe not the Blue Chip Big Dawgs, but I bet a lot of action nonetheless.

On 11/30/2022 at 1:20 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think that's a solid estimate. I'm kind of excited to see the (eventual) auction because the amount of people with war chests to go after that book is probably quite a few. GLOD or not, getting a piece of that book at a more accessible grade might turn out a lot of people. Maybe not the Blue Chip Big Dawgs, but I bet a lot of action nonetheless.

That book always brings out the bidders the cover just says it all 

On 11/30/2022 at 11:26 AM, comicjack said:

That book always brings out the bidders the cover just says it all 

It would sure look good in your sig line!