• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1961) The Castaway Strikes Back
1 1

564 posts in this topic

ON NEWSSTANDS AUGUST 1961

Fantastic Four #1 - Some of these panels, Jacks could've just phoned it in... instead he creates, as Mitch called it, little panels of pop art. Yeah, the hell with Roy Lichtenstein, Kirby could've made any of these a 5 ft 7 in × 13 ft 4 canvas masterpiece...

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 7.25.37 AM.png

On 12/5/2022 at 6:16 PM, Prince Namor said:

Nice catch! I never noticed that before...

Throughout his 1970s DC work, it was a pretty distinctive Kirby scripting "tell".

Later, when Crisis on Infinite Earths came out, I got quite a chuckle from Marv Wolfman's (affectionate, I think) homage to Kirby's speech pattern for Darkseid:

DarkseidCOIEcolor.gif.65728af41b2bad1bef373ad3d4d9329e.gif

Fantastic Four #1 - If I have one fault with the issue it would be its need to cram a great deal of story into one book. On one hand its AMAZING how much is actually covered in this first issue, BUT 1. they show up, tussle, and then defeat the Mole Man pretty easily (considering all the monsters) and 2. the size and scope of these monsters is a trait of Kirby's from what he had been doing that is missed out on here. Even the cover monster is a bit less than overwhelming as he could be - and the three headed monster... that should've been another Fin Fang Foom. 

But I get it... they had a LOT to include in the issue. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 7.26.27 AM.png

Fantastic Four #1 - Again, there had never been anything quite like this previously. Ben's snarky dialogue was so in contrast to the squeaky clean image of most heroes, and yet it was also like a perfect comic relief. 

When I saw the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, I was kind of surprised no one made the connection with the original FF as far as the interaction between the characters... sure, they sometimes ALL seem to be Ben Grimm, but that comic relief... I hope they really understand the importance of that when the make the first real FF movie... that personality dynamic between the four of them...

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 7.47.43 AM.png

Fantastic Four #1 - Very Kirby - though I'd have preferred a big monster splash... still, this kind of thing would influence Ditko (who I don't believe ever mentioned it) - right? Though he'd bring his own flair to it - and both styles would influence Marvel artists for years to come... (Jim Starlin used it to great effect on his 70's Captain Marvel series :x). 

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 7.49.24 AM.png

23 days later, Marvel would end the month (08/31/1961) with 5 other titles...including...

Journey Into Mystery #74 - Again Kirby does the cover and two separate stories, completely deviating from what he'd previously down with 2 part, 13 page stories. Did HE decide to stop doing them or was he TOLD to stop doing them? We may never know... (All inked by D. Ayers, which means again Kirby's name is absent from anything other than what he has done with Stan Lee this month).

Story ONE:

RCO001.jpg

RCO003.jpg

RCO004.jpg

RCO005.jpg

RCO006.jpg

RCO007.jpg

RCO010.jpg

RCO011.jpg

Journey Into Mystery #74 - The team of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko also have a story in this issue...

Ditko takes a simple one page synopsis 'An alien plot to infiltrate Earth with robotic dolls is unwittingly foiled by a police officer trying to get rid of peddlers.' and turns it into a Splash page and 34 panel story... 34 panels in 4 pages (8.5 per page).

Kinda thin... we'd see more of this...

RCO020.jpg

RCO021.jpg

RCO022.jpg

RCO023.jpg

RCO024.jpg

Teen-Age Romance #84 - The team of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby have not one but TWO stories in this issue... Jack also does the cover (inked by George Klein), with all interior art inked by Vince Colletta. 

I'm not sure if Jack half-timed this work or Colletta erased a lot of backgrounds he didn't want to ink...

Story TWO:

RCO028_1666303863.jpg

RCO029_1666303863.jpg

RCO030_1666303863.jpg

RCO031_1666303863.jpg

RCO032_1666303863.jpg

Gunsmoke Western #67 - BUT, Stan Lee also writes a story with Jack Kirby for THIS issue, but because it's inked by D. Ayers, it means that only Stan's signature shows. Sheesh! What a revoltin' development!

D. Ayers also does pencils and inks for two stories on his own, so... Stan and D. Ayers have their signatures ON those stories (along with Stan on the story he does with Jack Keller, who also signs). 

Stan is specifically targeting Jack Kirby's signature on stories that HE is not involved with him on. 

Kirby also does the cover, inked by D. Ayers.

RCO001_1548124462.jpg

RCO011_1548124462.jpg

RCO012_w_1548124462.jpg

RCO013_1548124462.jpg

RCO014_1548124462.jpg

RCO016_1548124462.jpg

RCO017_1548124462.jpg

RCO018_1548124462.jpg

Also on 08/31/1961. Amazing Adventures is no more, and in it's place is Amazing Adult Fantasy #7 - 'The Magazine that Respects Your Intelligence!' it says right there on the cover, along with a list of five stories inside. '5 Fantastic Thrillers For the More Mature Reader', it promises.

The cover is signed Stan Lee & S. Ditko

Stan has eliminated one of Kirby's monster books, and in it's place created a show piece for HIMSELF (with Ditko as the artist) - a 'writer'/artist team, creating those popular twist ending stories that have sold so well over the last three years...

The problem is... a) Right off the bat, they'll waste two pages on a table of contents and another on, basically, a preview of next months table of contents. Talk about immediately kicking things off by NOT respecting the audiences intelligence. 

b) Each of the 5 stories has a one page splash that doesn't TELL the story. It's like it's own mini cover. So in actuality there are only 18 pages of actual story...

and 

c) most of the stories again all seem to be one sentence synopsis' that Ditko tries to flesh out as best he can. He REALLY begins to use that 9 panel grid... the great thing about the series (and none of it is anywhere near Ditko's best work), is that Sturdy Steve really gets to learn how to WRITE, and expand upon Lee's minimal ideas. It would benefit him tremendously in just a few short months...

Ultimately though, knowing what we know now, it feels like a showcase for Lee to put his name out there.

RCO001_1466742778.jpg

RCO002_1466742778.jpg

RCO021_1466742778.jpg