• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1961) The Castaway Strikes Back
1 1

564 posts in this topic

@Prince Namor

I am really enjoying this thread, I don't know how far you are taking this thread, but I hope if you get to the mid-1960`s we get some John Buscema, John Romita , and Gene Colan love.

He had Kirby, and Ditko who I both love their work, but later he had Buscema, Romita and Colan. 

Stan Lee was a master at picking the right artists. I am sorry that those artists didn't get their rightful credit.

Well, if you keep posting than I will keep reading. I am now looking at the Marvel Age different.

Take care.

On 12/10/2022 at 10:27 PM, Rosland said:

Thank you for the great thread!

I'm curious about the coloring of the original art.

Who was the colorist and who made the decisions for e.g. the cover art?

Stan Goldberg did the coloring for all of these and Stan Lee would've had final say on any of it.

ON NEWSSTANDS SEPTEMBER 1961

Fantastic Four #2 - The original cover of Fantastic Four #2 vs the published cover. Kirby had left places for promotional copy and Apparently Stan wasn't happy with the way it turned out and had Sal Brodsky make some changes. This was definitely something they weren't used to - four superheroes battling an alien on the cover...I thought the names would've made the cover pop more, but evidently they were worried about how busy it is... to me, that's the point. Issue number changes places, Sue and Johnny lose their word balloons, the floor moves forward from the window, a couple of pictures are added to the wall, Johnny partial flame around his body is added...

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I like the original better...

FF 2.jpg

Fantastic Four #2 - Even though it would have to share newsstand space with the likes of Millie the Model #106 and Linda Carter, Student Nurse #3, the 2nd issue of the Fantastic Four would explode onto the stands on 09/28/1961. Signed Stan Lee & J. Kirby on the cover (written by Stan), the cover and full issue is inked by George Klein, with colors by Stan Goldberg and lettering by John Duffy.

Again we get a full 24 page story, which must have seemed very cool for the time. This shouldn't be seen lightly - here Marvel had a group of characters that readers were interested in... giving them a full 24 pages, allowed those characters to have their personalities explored... Kirby had done this previously with Challengers of the Unknown, but here he'd have a chance to really explore these unique new characters.

This story flows better than the first issue, so most likely Kirby had less 'art direction' on it (certainly less than the cover)... the first issue introduces us to the villains...

Part ONE:

ff002_01.jpg

ff002_03.jpg

ff002_04.jpg

RCO004_1468826034.jpg

ff002_06.jpg

RCO006_1468826034.jpg

ff002_08.jpg

Edited by Prince Namor

Fantastic Four #2 - Stan used a lot of filler in his dumb blonde comics, and I am critical of it, but here, because of the wealth of content that Kirby is able to help provide, and the interest in these characters FAR exceeding anything Marvel has done in over a decade, this mid-issue Pin-Up, not only is cool now, it was probably seen as super cool back in the day... readers wanted to know MORE!

ff002_26.jpg

I think it’s worth noting that, sometime between FF1 and FF2, something relevant happens.
The Fantastic Four become  celebrities.

I don’t know how. But it’s different than how they interact with the public in issue #1, and the headaches of fame would become a factor for most superheroes. 

On 12/11/2022 at 1:20 PM, KirbyJack said:

I think it’s worth noting that, sometime between FF1 and FF2, something relevant happens.
The Fantastic Four become  celebrities.

I don’t know how. But it’s different than how they interact with the public in issue #1, and the headaches of fame would become a factor for most superheroes. 

Excellent point...the 24 page story is one of my favorites, the "pop" art is unmatched!

You remember the Death of Superman, right? No, not THAT one, the one in Superman #149 (Curt Swan cover). Written by Jerry Siegel (its only fitting, I suppose), with art by Curt Swan and inks by Sheldon Moldoff.

Part ONE:  Lex Luthor discovers a cure for cancer (!!!) and with the help of Superman he is paroled from prison.

RCO001_1664008305.jpg

RCO003_1664008305.jpg

RCO004_1664008305.jpg

RCO005_1664008305.jpg

RCO006_1664008305.jpg

RCO007_1664008305.jpg

RCO008_1664008305.jpg

RCO009_1664008305.jpg

RCO010_1664008305.jpg