• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does it make sense financially to restore this damaged copy of Fantastic Four # 1 ?

14 posts in this topic

Many years ago I purchased a damaged copy of Fantastic Four # 1  for a few dollars.

I then sent it off to be graded by CGC and it came back as a .5 grade.

Would it make sense for me to invest $ 1,500. to have this comic book restored?

In other words, if I have the comic book restored, will I be able to sell this comic book with a purple label ( and improved grade) for much more than I can sell it for now in un-restored condition?

Thanks for your input.

Post pictures.

I got my Tales of Suspense #39 off ebay in the 90s for $100 and it was grade by CGC as 0.5. It is currently out for full restoration with Hero Restoration, as for me it made financial sense (but in your case might not be, we need more information).

FF#1 Universal 0.5 last sale was $8400.
A graded 6.0 copy with extensive B4 restoration, which was also trimmed, sold in August for $15,000 (which was high, as some higher restored grades have sold for less such as a 7.0 for $12k, really depends on the amount of work you are wanting to do on it). So I feel there could potentially be a some meat on that bone for you to work with. 

edit: this auction will be done in a day, and should give you a good idea on where heavily restored copies of this book will price at. https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/fantastic-four-1-marvel-1961-cgc-apparent-fn-vf-70-moderate-a-3-off-white-pages/a/7283-96215.s

Edited by Sauce Dog

Hopefully it is understood that this will depend on what the defects currently are and what restoration can be done and what the cost of the restoration is, plus the cost of resubmitting and other costs.

so the question cannot even remotely be answered without picture at minimum, and probably graded notes

if you’re asking random internet strangers for help make it easy for them to help you, don’t force them to go back and forth with super obvious questions, make it easy for people to help

On 11/19/2022 at 3:49 PM, rexinnih said:

Many factors to consider. Posting a pic will help to get some advice on how much of a bump restoration could give you. 

Grader Notes
Full Top Front Cover Small Multiple Piece Out
Interior Page Missing
Top Spine Small Spine Split

Fantastic Four # 1  CGC graded .5 Scan.jpg

On 11/19/2022 at 9:26 PM, revat said:

Hopefully it is understood that this will depend on what the defects currently are and what restoration can be done and what the cost of the restoration is, plus the cost of resubmitting and other costs.

so the question cannot even remotely be answered without picture at minimum, and probably graded notes

if you’re asking random internet strangers for help make it easy for them to help you, don’t force them to go back and forth with super obvious questions, make it easy for people to help

Grader Notes
Full Top Front Cover Small Multiple Piece Out
Interior Page Missing
Top Spine Small Spine Split

Fantastic Four # 1  CGC graded .5 Scan.jpg

Yup, do NOT invest any restoration into this book due to it being incomplete - nothing is going to help it now. Had it been complete I would also say it might not be worth it due to the stain going through the entire book (it would be too costly and time consuming to fix all of that)