• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Thing #1 - does it have potential?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

The Thing is my favorite fictional character. I wanted to like the series, but it lost me, even before Rocky Grimm.

FYI, the Lockjaw thing was later revealed to be a prank: someone (I forget) was throwing their voice Super convincingly. If you think about it, if The Inhuman Royal Family actually treated one of their own like a dog, they would be colossal Delta Bravos.

IMO, the bronze Benjy book to own is Marvel Two-In-One #1. 

On 1/1/2023 at 11:05 AM, KirbyJack said:

The Thing is my favorite fictional character. I wanted to like the series, but it lost me, even before Rocky Grimm.

FYI, the Lockjaw thing was later revealed to be a prank: someone (I forget) was throwing their voice Super convincingly. If you think about it, if The Inhuman Royal Family actually treated one of their own like a dog, they would be colossal Delta Bravos.

IMO, the bronze Benjy book to own is Marvel Two-In-One #1. 

Two in One #1 is a nice book, but I'd put my money on Marvel Feature #11.  Issues 11 and 12 were tryout issues to gauge the Things popularity and whether he can carry a book of his own.  The result was 100 issues (and several Annuals) of Marvel Two In One.

The Marvel Feature #11 has a killer Romita cover featuring The Thing vs the Hulk, Interior pencils by Starlin and inks by Sinnott.  

2in1 #1 had cover pencils by Kane and inks by Romita, with interior pencils by Kane.  The cover looks somewhat similar to the Marvel Feature cover.

Cover for Marvel Feature (Marvel, 1971 series) #11

Cover for Marvel Two-in-One (Marvel, 1974 series) #1

Thing #1 came out right when a comic shop opened within bike riding distance and I started my comic collection.  It was on my pull list right away, even though funds were limited and there were a ton of quality titles to choose from.  Loved it as a kid, but can't believe it will ever be sought after or valuable.

The Thing is my favorite character. I own a complete set of Marvel Two-In-One, but The Thing was just an ok run. 

Alot of what Byrne did at She-Hulk does show up when he was on it. 

If a proper FF film at the MCU is successful and Ben is given the "comedy" he sometimes exhibits, The Thing #1 could rise in value.