• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The January 2023 HA auction starting to load up
2 2

411 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2023 at 12:45 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

They are really paranoid about something happening the art during shipping. 

Great to know the shipping remains very secure and the goods protected......I last won OA at heritage 2016 and it was very good then......part of the 20% buyers premium😁

On 1/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, Carlo M said:

I expected around 6-7k, but there are several good reasons for the strong performance:

- Quitely is absolutely a top contemporary artist

- Fully inked pages by him are rare

- All-star Superman (pencils only) has gone around this level recently

- While no action, this page has several key characters (including Wolverine).  Quitely's version of Emma is possibly the definitive version, IMHO (Cassaday's being second)

- Morrison's run on adjectiveless was possibly the last great run on mutant titles before the Hickman reboor (barring possibly Astonishing by Whedon Cassaday )

- Early 2000s is entering the "magic demographic area"

My 2c

The Quitely result didn't surprise me at all, though I hoped it would go lower so I'd have a shot at it.

I agree that Quitely's version is the definitive version.

I also wholeheartedly agree that Morrison's run is probably the last great run on the X-Men.

And, those early-2000s pages are 20 years old now and readers from that area are now older and are probably looking for art from comics they read during that golden age. I mean, 1993 comics are now 30 years old and look how art from that period is performing.

On 1/12/2023 at 7:31 PM, Brian Peck said:

And it would come down to the DD issue and who did what in terms of the artwork. While the DD Miller stories are great who drew what on what page can give you a headache figuring out. Plus some people will only buy certain pages ie if Miller just did layouts, mi=ostly Jason or size of the artwork.

We figured this out long ago. Here's a link to a PDF containing the information. It also contains a link to the original thread from which the summary is drawn.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:30 PM, delekkerste said:

"Yeah, this is pretty stupid." - Albert Moy

I'm really impressed that Albert is so candid about prices.  Most dealers (of any kind of collectible) would never criticize prices in their sector, no matter how loony, but would just feed the hype instead.

On 1/20/2023 at 10:26 AM, delekkerste said:

Hats off to Heritage's packaging. I recently got a shipment from them that looked as if it had been totally submerged underwater (it was raining heavily that day). I mean, it was so bad that huge chunks of the box were literally peeling off and water/moisture was getting all over the inside. But, it was packaged so well on the inside that the art was unharmed. 

I had an issue with a recent purchase from Heritage where poor shipping led to a nice raw copy of Hawkman #4 getting wrecked. However, all of my OA purchases have always shown up incredibly well-protected. 

I've noticed Heritage uses a tiered system of packing security for art, i.e. there is a noticeable difference in packing quality when buying over 10K... perhaps a larger $ purchase of comics would result in a more secure package

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 1/26/2023 at 12:55 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I've noticed Heritage uses a tiered system of packing security for art, i.e. there is a noticeable difference in packing quality when buying over 10K... perhaps a larger $ purchase of comics would result in a more secure package

Yeah, there’s a sticker that gets affixed to the back of the OA bag that says “high value item”…those pieces receive special packaging and protection.  And the buyer pays big bucks for it, too!