• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The January 2023 HA auction starting to load up
2 2

411 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2022 at 2:19 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

So a published piece that is inks-over-pencils fully guarantees the destruction of all traces of the penciller's work

Not to a trained historian or forensic scientist who works with paper... the ink permanently captures the pencils below via a very nice chemical reaction... it's a wonderful signature which can actually be dated within a decade

On 12/2/2022 at 5:14 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Tell that to a certain artist named Michael who does nothing but sell perfect light boxed recreations of covers from 60 years ago :roflmao:

Perfect? I don't think so, if they are not computer printouts. I have done close examinations of a number of OA covers accepted as originals only to find one of them a fake. You may think Michael's recreations are perfect, but clearly you have not done a close enough comparison.

On 12/2/2022 at 11:19 AM, Sideshow Bob said:

When an inker finishes working on a page with pencils, their last action is go over the page with an eraser and remove all (most) of the remaining graphite. It's always cracked me up when we talk about inks-over-pencils, like a Kirby/Sinnott, that there are no Kirby pencils left on the page once Sinnott was done. So a published piece that is inks-over-pencils fully guarantees the destruction of all traces of the penciller's work. Inks on separate boards, or even bluelines, provides you with concrete evidence of the work done by the penciller in creating the page that a inks-over-pencils piece doesn't. 

Don't interpret this incorrectly...I'm fully on board for published inks-over-pencils as superior over all other options. Just pointing out one of the quirks of OA collecting that I've had to explain to non-OA people when they look at the framed pieces on my wall, and I have to say, well, the inker actually erased all the pencils...

Interesting point, although I will say not always the case, especially with blue pencils. I love seeing the pages where the inker chose not to erase the blue pencils. You get both takes on the page. 

On 12/3/2022 at 6:37 PM, batman_fan said:

They even have some rare Garfield strips including on that references Lasagna 

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 7.36.16 PM.png

Coincidentally we had lasagna last night and by golly if I didn't find a needle in it!!!! Worst restaurant I ever ate at. We asked our waiter Hobbes to get the manager and he brought over some little kid who kept calling himself Chef Calvin. He kept pointing at my Garfield T-shirt and laughing saying,

"our strips and Sundays sell for more than yours."

What the hell even is that?

On 12/3/2022 at 6:27 PM, batman_fan said:

Byrne FF splash with Silver Surfer and Galactus

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 7.26.53 PM.png

Once for sale many moons ago for $2500 went to Albert who bumped it and last I saw Bechara had it $25,000. Not the only time I regret not buying a piece I really liked only to see it at a nauseating jump in asking price.

Classic pin up.

Stupendous Starlin hulk thing battle page from marvel fanfare

"Jim Starlin and Al Milgrom Marvel Fanfare #21 Story Page 24 | LotID #204004 | Heritage Auctions" https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-starlin-and-al-milgrom-marvel-fanfare-21-story-page-24-original-art-marvel-1985-/p/7338-204004.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

On 12/4/2022 at 2:57 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Stupendous Starlin hulk thing battle page from marvel fanfare

"Jim Starlin and Al Milgrom Marvel Fanfare #21 Story Page 24 | LotID #204004 | Heritage Auctions" https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-starlin-and-al-milgrom-marvel-fanfare-21-story-page-24-original-art-marvel-1985-/p/7338-204004.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Great battle page between the Hulk and The Thing!

On 12/3/2022 at 11:47 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Incredible peak Byrne 🤯

Price prediction ?

Well I've seen pieces sit for a long time like this one because the asking price was "ridiculously high."

When they come to auction though they seem to meet if not exceed the for sale price. Especially since 2020. 

So I'm assuming most people that have the money to compete for this page know where it's been and how much the ask was for quite some time.

FOMO should trigger bids from those sitting on their hands hoping they could trade for it or the price would be lowered. The fact that some one else could now buy it and make it NFS or inquire gets in collectors heads.

The X factor is maybe someone else getting involved that hasn't been paying attention. That happens all the time and we wonder how a price went for so much more at auction when it was sitting in plain sight for sale for less.

So I'll say this one goes a minimum $30,000 and wouldn't be surprised to see it go for more.

I love the piece but would never chase it now. I remember at least a month or two window where it stayed listed for sale under $3000 and I didn't get it done. So you move on or it gnaws your guts out.

On 12/4/2022 at 12:43 AM, grapeape said:

Coincidentally we had lasagna last night and by golly if I didn't find a needle in it!!!! Worst restaurant I ever ate at. We asked our waiter Hobbes to get the manager and he brought over some little kid who kept calling himself Chef Calvin. He kept pointing at my Garfield T-shirt and laughing saying,

"our strips and Sundays sell for more than yours."

What the hell even is that?

Went on a work trip to Islamabad over a decade ago and we were taken to an "underground" restaurant, basically a restaurant in the basement of someone's home where alcohol was served (Pakistan looked the other way on these because they only serviced Western customers). Halfway thru dinner one of my companions got a funny look on his face and spit something out... it was a staple. I didn't finish the rest of my meal...