• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terrible Undergrading - Am I right or wrong?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2022 at 8:27 PM, TomO1357 said:

You're commenting on books I didn't picture and didn't even mention.  I shouldn't have said "ALL" in retrospect, since the 0.5 on that issue is obvious, I actually forgot about it when I posted, as I was thinking about the others, so nevermind about that one.  The Avengers #10 is comparable to 3.5's I found on the internet, though 2.5 isn't out of the question for it.  If it was only that issue, I wouldn't bother posting.  The Whiz Comics issue actually looks very nice but I don't have a picture to upload at the moment.  It does have tanning to the cover but is very flat and has no significant creasing that can be seen in the light.  I was asking people to go by the photos, not the notes, as I feel the notes for these aren't all warranted.  Just putting something in a notes section doesn't make it true.  Maybe they take off more for light tanning on books than they used to.  Well, it is what it is in any case...I'll continue to submit modern books, as they've been quite fast lately, but I'm not sending in anything older in to CGC.

I find that CGC has become increasingly harsh on grading for books with light to moderate tanning.  Likewise, any books that have a ‘dirty’ back cover (nothing sexual, folks.  Get your minds out of the gutter) also get hit hard by CGC.

From my recent submission of mid Silver Age books, I thought I had about seven books that had a shot at 9.4. Of the seven, one got 9.0, five got 9.2 and one got 9.6. Of course, as you can see, none got a 9.4. doh! Oddly, the one that got the 9.6 is the one of the books I thought was the weakest of the bunch. Conversely, the one that got the 9.0 I thought was one of the strongest. Just shows you what I know.

On 11/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, The Lions Den said:

These are actually good notes; better than I expected for the Economy tier.

Since you have some prior inside experience with CGC and its inner workings, just a question for you here.  hm

Are the graders actually aware of what tiers the books were submitted in when it crosses their grading table?  ???

Just wondering because from your comment here, it almost sounds like they would know if it's an Economy tier book, they should then not spend as much time with detailing the grading notes.  (shrug)

On 11/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, lou_fine said:

Since you have some prior inside experience with CGC and its inner workings, just a question for you here.  hm

Are the graders actually aware of what tiers the books were submitted in when it crosses their grading table?  ???

Just wondering because from your comment here, it almost sounds like they would know if it's an Economy tier book, they should then not spend as much time with detailing the grading notes.  (shrug)

That’s a good question. One might also assume the graders are assigned to work at certain tiers based on experience…the higher the pay grade/wage, the more scrutinizing/thorough  the grader may be. 
just a little food for thought (shrug)

On 11/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, lou_fine said:

Let's just say that I was impressed by how thorough the notes were for this invoice. Because of that, I'd be thinking that whoever was involved looked the books over pretty thoroughly. And it would also lead me to believe that they have some previous experience with this specific time period...    

On 11/25/2022 at 6:49 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What did they say?🤔

Book#1. very light spine stress lines to cover

Book#2.  very light spine stress lines to cover

Book# 3.  very light crease right bottom of front cover
very light spine stress lines to cover
very light wear to cover

I can’t find any of the stress lines they are talking about. Even under a magnifying glass. 

Maybe I should crack/press:re submit. Maybe get a 9.9 or a 10. 🤔😂

Edited by stippy52