• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late Fall Grading Contest
9 9

82 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2022 at 7:30 PM, jbpez said:

6.0 on that Cap midnight!??  yeesh. TOUGH, TOUGH ,TOUGH!!! I must have missed something. 

The key to that book is that the cover was not printed glossy and even brand new that cover was dull and grayish, I believe. So I did not grade down for its washed out appearance. 

On 11/26/2022 at 8:30 PM, jbpez said:

6.0 on that Cap midnight!??  yeesh. TOUGH, TOUGH ,TOUGH!!! I must have missed something. 

I think above the foot near the spine, it looked like creasing, but I only saw it when I blew it up.

I may faint, I got 2 right...but the Detective looked like it had a lot of wear on the outer edge, so I was way wrong there, I had it 5.0...I'd probably STILL have it at 5.0, lol.

On 11/26/2022 at 7:40 PM, skypinkblu said:

I think above the foot near the spine, it looked like creasing, but I only saw it when I blew it up.

I may faint, I got 2 right...but the Detective looked like it had a lot of wear on the outer edge, so I was way wrong there, I had it 5.0...I'd probably STILL have it at 5.0, lol.

I saw that too on the Tec book and graded down heavily for it. I had it at 5.5.

On 11/26/2022 at 7:40 PM, skypinkblu said:

The gloss on the book is exceptional and the back is excellent, perhaps those factors overrode the spine issues.  hm

On 11/26/2022 at 9:32 AM, frozentundraguy said:

Sorry, was traveling for the holiday!

On 11/26/2022 at 9:57 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Kudo's to Harley Yee. I bought the Captain Midnight book from him about 10 years ago. He had it graded at 6.0.

Started picking up copies of Capt. Midnight about a year or so ago. Nice copies were fairly inexpensive; seemed one of the few GA books that were still under the radar

On 11/26/2022 at 9:07 PM, B2D327 said:

Started picking up copies of Capt. Midnight about a year or so ago. Nice copies were fairly inexpensive; seemed one of the few GA books that were still under the radar

I wonder if it's due to being a Fawcett Publication. Seems to me Whiz Comics, Captain Marvel and the like are under appreciated also.

On 11/26/2022 at 11:02 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I wonder if it's due to being a Fawcett Publication. Seems to me Whiz Comics, Captain Marvel and the like are under appreciated also.

Possibly. That’s the search term I use and most of those titles come up frequently at better prices than searching the titles individually

could also be the black and white copies that sold in Canada, Europe and Australia make some collectors pass them by not knowing the variants (shrug)

Edited by B2D327

On 11/26/2022 at 8:38 PM, flashlites said:

The key to that book is that the cover was not printed glossy and even brand new that cover was dull and grayish, I believe. So I did not grade down for its washed out appearance. 

Great insight! I second-guessed this one to death…yeah, that always ends well. :eek:  Nice at first glance, but on closer look I thought it had kind of a worn, smudgy appearance.