• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously Need some help!!

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone I'm new here so first of all hi to everyone out there, the name Is Chris and they do call me Rabies, very long story but a good one another time, I am a huge collector of everything except comics go figure, I have been collecting vintage tools, civil war, world 1&2, since around 83, so I know the game, just not the product, here is my issue if you want to call it one, I have been given my uncles quite large and highly collectable Marvel collection I know the majority of them are worth a pretty penny, so what I really could use is an honest opinion about which ones I should just get graded if not at all. None of them are 10s but in the middle I have a few pics of a few of them, and a fairly large list that is if you're site allows, I don't want estimates just advice on grading them, thanks a million, oh and I'm here now because like a dummy I went to Facebook and people went insane, and I had to pull the post, anyway here it is

20221110_170009.jpg

20221108_152549.jpg

20221108_152552.jpg

20221108_152602.jpg

Hello, 

I assume the list you posted isn't complete? I don't see the X-Men 1 on the list. 

I would probably start by looking up each comic using sold pricess on eBay to get a sense for which ones could have value.

Then I would take anything that might be worth a few hundred or more and post clear pictures in the spare a grade section here. 

The guys on here can help give you an approximate grade which will help you fine tune the value and determine if the cost of grading is worth it. 

If you take Dr Strange #1 for example, it's a book that has value. A higher grade copy is likely worth grading. But with a lower grade copy, you might not recoup the grading costs. 

X-Men 1 (assuming it's an original), will likely be a slam dunk to have graded in any condition. 

Just looking at your list quickly, you've got some great books in there! It looks like 

Amazing Spider-Man 101, 129, hulk 180, 181 the X1 jump out as bigger ticket items. I suspect your missing the bottom of the alphabet so there could be others. 

Amazing Spiderman 121, hulk 162, Dr strange 1, FF94 are all those secondary keys that may be worth grading depending on condition.   

This wasn't an exhaustive review, just the books that jump out from the list. I'm sure there are others. 

Good luck and have fun with it. Looks like an awesome collection that someone put a lot of energy into building. 

On 11/24/2022 at 11:22 PM, RABIES1969 said:

I don't want estimates just advice on grading them, thanks a million, oh and I'm here now because like a dummy I went to Facebook and people went insane, and I had to pull the post, anyway here it is

The new CGC grading guide has a wealth of information about grading. Well worth the money, IMO...

On 11/25/2022 at 7:15 AM, KCOComics said:

Hello, 

I assume the list you posted isn't complete? I don't see the X-Men 1 on the list. 

I would probably start by looking up each comic using sold pricess on eBay to get a sense for which ones could have value.

Then I would take anything that might be worth a few hundred or more and post clear pictures in the spare a grade section here. 

The guys on here can help give you an approximate grade which will help you fine tune the value and determine if the cost of grading is worth it. 

If you take Dr Strange #1 for example, it's a book that has value. A higher grade copy is likely worth grading. But with a lower grade copy, you might not recoup the grading costs. 

X-Men 1 (assuming it's an original), will likely be a slam dunk to have graded in any condition. 

I also have the giant size x #1 sucks to say it's in the least good shape one out of all of them, 

20221110_170021.jpg

20221110_171521.jpg

20221110_171515.jpg

20221110_170020.jpg

On 11/25/2022 at 12:05 PM, RABIES1969 said:

I also have the giant size x #1 sucks to say it's in the least good shape one out of all of them, 

20221110_170021.jpg

20221110_171521.jpg

20221110_171515.jpg

20221110_170020.jpg

Gets some backing boards for them. You can get them at local comic shops or order on Amazon. 

They could probably use new bags as well. Just make sure you get the right size and be very careful taking the books out. Even the most experienced of us has dealt with "tape pulls" while taking books out of the bag. 

The X1 looks to be in pretty good shape all things considered. The tanning will hit the grade pretty hard, but even in lower grades that is a pricey book.