• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a 9.4 have water droplets?

10 posts in this topic

I've never seen those in a 9.4. I'm also not sure whether they're just water. I've seen books with water droplets, and even though they damage the gloss on a book, water droplets usually produce very faint spots that are difficult to see if if book is in a Mylar sleeve or a slab. Those look like they could be from some kind of oily substance.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:22 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I've never seen those in a 9.4. I'm also not sure whether they're just water. I've seen books with water droplets, and even though they damage the gloss on a book, water droplets usually produce very faint spots that are difficult to see if if book is in a Mylar sleeve or a slab. Those look like they could be from some kind of oily substance.

Which makes me think those weren’t there when it got graded 

No graders notes either 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 11/26/2022 at 6:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Which makes me think those weren’t there when it got graded 

No graders notes either 

There's probably no way to be sure.

You have encapsulating equipment with working parts, some of which may be lubricated. You have people used hand sanitizer and various other substances. You could also have the guy operating the equipment eating his leftover half of a submarine sandwich slathered in salad oil while he's operating that equipment (even if that's expressly prohibited).

The only thing I know for certain is that I wouldn't crack it out if I were you.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 11/26/2022 at 7:26 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The only thing I know for certain is that I wouldn't crack it out if I were you.

I don’t own it.   I was going to bid on it until I took a good look at the back cover.   Hand sanitizer does seem a possible culprit. hm

E297D5A7-96C3-41D7-B1F4-1F1B463CFEF3.gif.a1b33f82730212c28fe9d27d2cfc269d.gif

On 11/26/2022 at 7:59 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I don’t own it.   I was going to bid on it until I took a good look at the back cover.   Hand sanitizer does seem a possible culprit. hm

E297D5A7-96C3-41D7-B1F4-1F1B463CFEF3.gif.a1b33f82730212c28fe9d27d2cfc269d.gif

Or soda or coffee. It doesn’t look like oil to me but what do I know. 

On 11/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, joeypost said:

Or soda or coffee. It doesn’t look like oil to me but what do I know. 

Seems to be a QC add-on regardless.  I can’t imagine those make it into a 9.4 slab whether they be water, coffee or soda.

Thoughts?

On 11/27/2022 at 12:03 PM, ThothAmon said:

I was shocked to see my Conan 1 received a coveted 9.8 White Page from CGC. I was even more shocked to see the Graders Notes.   Apples to oranges maybe but interesting I hope. 

D02C5E9D-7435-424A-91D4-0480586CFD9B.jpeg

3BCCF693-FED9-4D4F-9A4F-5BB862B28DA9.png

That stain is tough to spot, but surprising to be permitted in 9.8

I’m guessing the corners on your copy are razor sharp though :cloud9: