• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Respected pressers with decent current turn around times?

14 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have a handful of semi-key/key books (mostly bronze age) that I would like to submit for grading, but they should really be cleaned and pressed.  I have seen some very well respected pressers mentioned on these boards as I don't want to go with CCS, but most of them seem to have pretty long turn around times as well.  Can anyone suggest some pressers you trust that have decent times (maybe around a month, but the quicker the better).   Thanks for any info.  I am pretty new to pressing and grading.  I have gotten my own cheaper style press, but want to definitely practice a ton more and with cheaper books before I try myself.  Thanks again!!

Unfortunately the turnaround times are long because they are respected. If you're looking at short turnarounds, they're newer on the block. Some like Avery Pressing and Impressive have fast track pressing, but it's not cheap. If you're looking for a quick press on your everyday modern, you can probably go with some of the smaller companies and be fine. If your books take time and effort, don't skimp.

Besides those two I'd also suggest @joeypost at CFP.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:40 PM, Tnexus said:

Besides those two I'd also suggest @joeypost at CFP.

Not if you're looking for a quick turnaround. I sent some books back in late August, and the header on their website at that time said they were processing books received in Oct 2021. Based on what their website says now, it's probably still an 8-10 month wait. I'm pressing for personal (not grading) reasons, so I don't mind, but if you're pressing and grading, it seems like it might be a ~2 year wait? 

On 11/26/2022 at 6:55 PM, stock_rotation said:

Not if you're looking for a quick turnaround. I sent some books back in late August, and the header on their website at that time said they were processing books received in Oct 2021. Based on what their website says now, it's probably still an 8-10 month wait. I'm pressing for personal (not grading) reasons, so I don't mind, but if you're pressing and grading, it seems like it might be a ~2 year wait? 

It's true he probably has the longest wait of them all. That being said, he's also not the greatest at updating his website's TAT.

If you’re anywhere near Menifee California, I can take the job. I do in person orders so I don’t have to worry about mail mishaps. It’s keeps my customers happy w quick TAT and lower prices. I do enough business to keep me busy and it’s not my main income so I’m super reasonable. 

If these are for your long term personal collection, I would send them to a known and respected presser, buckle up and wait. 

I had to wait 15 months between pressing and grading and I've just decided not to send anything else in until TATs are a bit more reasonable. 

Just maybe a dumb question… If I were to have a book pressed and not slab it, is the pressing permanent if stored in a Mylar? Specificaly a spine roll. I don’t like slabbed books but I do like flat ones…

I have had only one book slabbed (by Joey). I can attest to his beautiful work! 

On 11/26/2022 at 11:24 PM, KryptoMayor said:

If you’re anywhere near Menifee California, I can take the job. I do in person orders so I don’t have to worry about mail mishaps. It’s keeps my customers happy w quick TAT and lower prices. I do enough business to keep me busy and it’s not my main income so I’m super reasonable. 

Thanks a bunch for the offer!  Unfortunately I am in Wisconsin so a little too far to drive!

Thanks to everyone else for your help/suggestions.  The books would generally be for my collection, but I always think about their value as well when considering grading (mostly sports cards in the past).  That being said, I have no plans to sell anything, so not in a rush and will no doubt send the books in question to a reputable presser even with the long wait since I really want them done correctly.  I may try some quicker companies (or try myself) on some modern or cheaper books in the future.  

Thanks again and please keep the suggestions coming if there are more.  I really appreciate the resource that our fellow collectors are!

On 11/27/2022 at 8:54 AM, Robot Man said:

Just maybe a dumb question… If I were to have a book pressed and not slab it, is the pressing permanent if stored in a Mylar? Specificaly a spine roll. I don’t like slabbed books but I do like flat ones…

I have had only one book slabbed (by Joey). I can attest to his beautiful work! 

That is the million dollar question. What will your pressed books look like in ten years? Twenty years? 

Years ago, I had a Flash 105 restored. It went from a 1.8 to looking really good, but after a few yeasrs i could see it was starting to deteriorate. I don't think the science is in on long term effects of pressing. 

On 1/7/2023 at 9:25 PM, paullam15 said:

I'm looking for someone local in the Chicagoland area for some books I want to get pressed because the wait times with CCS is crazy. My last submission was majority of the time at CCS press.

I'd never have CCS press my books, but with their track record, long TATs wouldn't be why.