• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Information placed on the labels
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any luck with getting certain things mentione on the lables of the books submitted?

Example I saw a Batman 457 with the notation of 1st appearance of Tim Drake as Robin at my LCS and the person behind the counter mention they don't know why ot wasn't mentioned it was also the 1st appearance of Robin's battle staff.

So my question to the group is, can you submit comics with a post it note mentioning something like that in hopes it gets added to the label? Or is this a classic, don't tell me how to do my job.

I don't think you can submit with a post-it note and expect them to change their label. 

I imagine if you have a legitimate scenario where CGC failed to mention something noteworthy, you could email them to make a case... Or even open a poll here and if you get enough "yes" votes, you can show CGC that the community supports a change. 

I'm not sure if Robin's battle staff is significant enough to warrant a label change. Others may disagree. 

On 11/26/2022 at 5:54 PM, Poison Ivy 181 said:

Has anyone had any luck with getting certain things mentione on the lables of the books submitted?

Example I saw a Batman 457 with the notation of 1st appearance of Tim Drake as Robin at my LCS and the person behind the counter mention they don't know why ot wasn't mentioned it was also the 1st appearance of Robin's battle staff.

So my question to the group is, can you submit comics with a post it note mentioning something like that in hopes it gets added to the label? Or is this a classic, don't tell me how to do my job.

You can try, but please keep in mind that your request may be denied...  

On 11/28/2022 at 8:07 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Why would an inanimate object receive mention?

I'd like to request CGC notate the first "battlestaff appearance in Superman comic where the battlestaff breaks when used against the Man of Steel".  This isn't to be confused with the first "battlestaff appearance in Superman comic where the battlestaff DOES NOT break when used against the Man of Steel".

I'd also like CGC to begin notating the first appearance by Age.  For example, we have first Silver Age appearance of many characters, but why not "first Bronze age appearance of Two Face", "first Copper Age appearance of Two Face", and "first Modern Age appearance of Two Face".

And since team ups are all the rage, let's get "first Two Face and Penguin team up" by age as well.

Bingo bango!  There are now soooooo many more keys for people to speculate on.

On a more serious note, CGC does notate the first appearance of the Batmobile, so they do mention inanimate objects.  It just really depends on the relevance or popularity of the item.  Like, it wouldn't surprise me if "first kryptonite" was actually notated somewhere as well.

Edited by ExNihilo

On 11/28/2022 at 4:00 PM, ExNihilo said:

On a more serious note, CGC does notate the first appearance of the Batmobile, so they do mention inanimate objects.  It just really depends on the relevance or popularity of the item.  Like, it wouldn't surprise me if "first kryptonite" was actually notated somewhere as well.

Interesting, wasn't aware of that. Importance of the object makes sense, as that's how 'key' characters are identified on labels. Otherwise, you can note literally anything, depending on how arbitrary the decision-maker feels.

I have had a large number of items, artists, writers added to the labels of books (mostly golden age), but never on submission. I usually gather my evidence and send an email with my reason as to why something should be added.

"Robbin's battle staff"; I don't believe is important enough to the character itself or over all DC universe, but I wouldn't begrudge someone making the argument that it is and trying to change my mind.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:07 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Why would an inanimate object receive mention?

Because they do it all the time.  Just off the top of my head...
Batmobile
Batplane
Batsignal
Kryptonite (all of them)
Infinity Gauntlet
Stormbreaker