• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most over-hyped/over-priced comic in your opinion?
3 3

207 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2022 at 10:54 PM, mephistopheles said:

Someone on the boards pointed out Mcfarlane's art is full of impossible anatomical errors and now that's all I can see.

The one aspect I ended up fixating on is that the faces he drew always seemed to me to be very flat.  Noticed it towards the end of his ASM run.

On 11/28/2022 at 12:04 AM, D2 said:

That should be mandatory reading. 

I’m serious. The fact that it got published points to the absurdity of the industry. 

Now that you’ve described it as absurd, I’ll look it up.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:54 PM, mrwoogieman said:

I will go with ASM 667 Dell'Otto variant. Nothing about it warrants the hype or the price.

He’s a very good artist, but that seems quite overrated.  Perhaps I’m missing something, for example, that he’s this generation’s choice for comic book fine art, just as Alex Ross was in the 90s and BWS in the 70s?

On 11/27/2022 at 8:03 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The one aspect I ended up fixating on is that the faces he drew always seemed to me to be very flat.  Noticed it towards the end of his ASM run.

For me it's more that he draws the anatomy in positions that are physically impossible but his art is so busy your brain doesn't register it. Once you do it's hard to unsee it. For example look at the impossible legs/hips on ASM 300.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6ImJmMzMyZTQ4LTJlMmEtNGZlMy1iMjgxLTRiNDRmNzQ0ODZiOS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6W119

On 11/28/2022 at 12:26 AM, mephistopheles said:

but his art is so busy

That’s eventually what stopped me from following his art. By the time you get to the second Spider-Man series it was busy, confusing, and sloppy and poorly composed, as well as the anatomical issues.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, D2 said:

Hulk 340

Despite being a fan of McFarlane's art I never liked how he draws Hulk or Wolverine.  This issue is probably the ugliest popular cover I've ever seen. That and the overpriced Hulk #345 that I believe is still going for an outrageous amount. 

On 11/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, D2 said:

Spawn, all issues

Until the movie comes out and flops.  I think that there's still a good amount of Spawn collectors that grew up in the 80s and 90s that now have kids that may also be fans. Other than that I can't imagine anyone else is interested in the character. 

hulk 345.jpg

hulk 345 zoom.JPG

Edited by Flanders82

Steamy hot takes in this thread.

This is a market where people pay thousands for random variants of books published yesterday, and people are picking on Hulk 181 and ASM 300. Isn't there a Dell Otto ASM variant that sold for like 40 grand?

On 11/27/2022 at 2:19 PM, mephistopheles said:

I gotta give the crown to Ultimate Fallout 4. The book is only 10 years old and there are 15k graded copies on the cgc census. This book has no business being over $1000 imho. Let's be honest Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Miles was just another pathetic effort to wokify Marvel. 

What do you mean by "wokify", that you don't like how the character looks, his heritage, background, etc., etc?