• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most over-hyped/over-priced comic in your opinion?
3 3

207 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2022 at 10:40 AM, mephistopheles said:

This does not mean anything. Two years ago before the PS5 game UF4 was like 200$ raw NM book. Then the game was released plus that covid-19 money and the price shoot up. Now it is just finding its place but demand is there because Miles is here to stay and already popular character.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:57 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

What do you mean by "wokify", that you don't like how the character looks, his heritage, background, etc., etc?

I mean the glaringly obvious agenda in Marvel to race and gender swap white male characters. I have nothing against his ethnicity, I am equally annoyed with Marvel gender swapping Thor into a white female.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:40 AM, mephistopheles said:

I mean the glaringly obvious agenda in Marvel to race and gender swap white male characters. I have nothing against his ethnicity, I am equally annoyed with Marvel gender swapping Thor into a white female.

Now its clear.

On 11/28/2022 at 7:33 AM, godzilla43 said:

This does not mean anything. Two years ago before the PS5 game UF4 was like 200$ raw NM book. Then the game was released plus that covid-19 money and the price shoot up. Now it is just finding its place but demand is there because Miles is here to stay and already popular character.

I think the comic boom was more linked with the crypto boom. Now we are seeing cryptos crash, and people are dumping comics, especially the hyper-inflated speculative modern books like UF4. Personally, I think it's a 50$ book and I wouldn't even buy it at that price. Well I would only to flip it to some sucker paying $1000.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:26 PM, mephistopheles said:

For me it's more that he draws the anatomy in positions that are physically impossible but his art is so busy your brain doesn't register it. Once you do it's hard to unsee it. For example look at the impossible legs/hips on ASM 300.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6ImJmMzMyZTQ4LTJlMmEtNGZlMy1iMjgxLTRiNDRmNzQ0ODZiOS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6W119

I see a dog scratching its ear.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:26 PM, mephistopheles said:

For me it's more that he draws the anatomy in positions that are physically impossible but his art is so busy your brain doesn't register it. Once you do it's hard to unsee it. For example look at the impossible legs/hips on ASM 300.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6ImJmMzMyZTQ4LTJlMmEtNGZlMy1iMjgxLTRiNDRmNzQ0ODZiOS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6W119

You do know that this is a comic book, right? So the laws of our physics do not apply 100%. We're talking about a part man, part spider here. Unless I'm mistaken, in previous ASM issues he had more than two arms, so............  lol

Interesting question. I look at it from the perspective of how many copies are out there versus how much they are going for. 

So Spawn is in there for sure, although the prices are not ridiculously high so whatever. 

Probably ASM 300. I used to get 9.4 copies pretty cheap all of the time on that book, and now somehow it is priced out of the reach of a lot of people even with gads more of them sent in for grading every year. Totally overrated. 

This one will get me into trouble - Hulk 181. If you want to talk about a fanboy effect there are soooooooo many Wolverine fanboys out there. Hugh Jackman will be showing up with a walker and they will still think it is the coolest thing since sliced bread. This book is a 1k book tops disguised as a 5-10k and up book.  

UF4 is pretty far down the list for me and I am keeping one 9.8 copy around. When the current Spider-Man ages out I am expecting a new string of live movies with Miles as the main character. He will have broad appeal to the audience who goes to movies and is a character they can build a franchise around. With apologies to the OP, there is zero reason why people who grew up with Spider-verse stuff have to prefer the version from 1960s comics. 

My last pick will be Clone Wars 1. Although Ahsoka is definitely a cool character, there is nothing about how values of books in the Star Wars universe have played out that says a Dark Horse comic will hold at the multi-thousand dollar mark. Those were dollar bin books for a long time, and although this one will never be a dollar bin book again I cant see the value staying anywhere near where it has been the past couple of years.

Ok done, flame away lol 

On 11/28/2022 at 11:05 AM, Phill the Governor said:

You do know that this is a comic book, right? So the laws of our physics do not apply 100%. We're talking about a part man, part spider here. Unless I'm mistaken, in previous ASM issues he had more than two arms, so............  lol

By this rationale it would be fine to draw Spider Man's head attached to his left arm and his right foot attached to his neck, because "hey it's a comic book. Anatomy and physics don't matter!". Why are you defending bad art?

On 11/28/2022 at 10:40 AM, mephistopheles said:

By this rationale it would be fine to draw Spider Man's head attached to his left arm and his right foot attached to his neck, because "hey it's a comic book. Anatomy and physics don't matter!". Why are you defending bad art?

Kirby gets a pass? 

On 11/28/2022 at 11:38 AM, Stefan_W said:

Interesting question. I look at it from the perspective of how many copies are out there versus how much they are going for. 

So Spawn is in there for sure, although the prices are not ridiculously high so whatever. 

Probably ASM 300. I used to get 9.4 copies pretty cheap all of the time on that book, and now somehow it is priced out of the reach of a lot of people even with gads more of them sent in for grading every year. Totally overrated. 

This one will get me into trouble - Hulk 181. If you want to talk about a fanboy effect there are soooooooo many Wolverine fanboys out there. Hugh Jackman will be showing up with a walker and they will still think it is the coolest thing since sliced bread. This book is a 1k book tops disguised as a 5-10k and up book.  

UF4 is pretty far down the list for me and I am keeping one 9.8 copy around. When the current Spider-Man ages out I am expecting a new string of live movies with Miles as the main character. He will have broad appeal to the audience who goes to movies and is a character they can build a franchise around. With apologies to the OP, there is zero reason why people who grew up with Spider-verse stuff have to prefer the version from 1960s comics. 

My last pick will be Clone Wars 1. Although Ahsoka is definitely a cool character, there is nothing about how values of books in the Star Wars universe have played out that says a Dark Horse comic will hold at the multi-thousand dollar mark. Those were dollar bin books for a long time, and although this one will never be a dollar bin book again I cant see the value staying anywhere near where it has been the past couple of years.

Ok done, flame away lol 

Hulk 181 is overpriced, but it's nearly 50 years old and pretty rare in 9.8.

image.png.c06b42d8f2af522a5074f115cd68f6b1.png

Compare that to UF4. 10 years old, 15K graded and tons of high grade and certainly tons of raw copies sitting in personal collections.

image.png.560b15be0c35fec7bb2b6ab2db69afd1.png

On 11/28/2022 at 11:10 AM, mephistopheles said:

Compare that to UF4. 10 years old, 15K graded and tons of high grade and certainly tons of raw copies sitting in personal collections.

Now do anything from a 9.0 and down. 

On 11/28/2022 at 10:37 AM, Stefan_W said:
On 11/28/2022 at 10:10 AM, mephistopheles said:

Now do anything from a 9.0 and down. 

I'm not sure your question, those were the population reports for the entire grading spectrum, and for both comics :cheers: there are 15658 total of UF4 and 16274 total for Hulk 181. There is a chart that goes lower grade for Hulk, as there are enough in "lower grade" to register in a visible chart, while there is not for UF4.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not sure your question, those were the population reports for the entire grading spectrum, and for both comics :cheers: there are 15658 total of UF4 and 16274 total for Hulk 181. There is a chart that goes lower grade for Hulk, as there are enough in "lower grade" to register in a visible chart, while there is not for UF4.

It wasnt really a question. Mephistopheles said that Hulk 181 at a 9.8 is pretty rare, which is correct, but my point was that the book is wildly overpriced across other grades. Like UF 4 there are a gazzilion copies, and with 181 you are paying 4k or more for anything mid grade and up. That is completely ridiculous considering how many mid grade copies of that book are out there. 

Oh, and while I am at it, even though it is pretty rare 100k for a 9.8 copy of 181 is still in the zone where they should be giving buyers some strong meds to help them in life.