• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Third Eye posters
2 2

57 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2022 at 11:05 AM, JupiterE said:

Are these real vintage or from the reprint tribute book Marvel released recently?  How did you acquire?

Yes, these are the originals from 1971. Went to a flea market, struck up a conversation with this dude, turns out he has TONS of hard to find and rare items. 

Got a solid deal too, $900 for all three.

Edited by Badlands
Misspelled a word

On 11/29/2022 at 9:48 AM, Badlands said:

Yes, these are the originals from 1971. Went to a flea market, struck up a conversation with this dude, turns out he has TONS of hard to find and rare items. 

Got a solid deal too, $900 for all three.

Wait until you get the black light on em!

On 11/29/2022 at 10:01 AM, MattTheDuck said:

One of my LCS's has several of these up on the walls - not for sale, unhappily, but they look really cool.  Would love to have them.  Nice score!

ha, yes excalibur comics! i asked the same question and got the same answer. so nice seeing them all together there. love these things!

On 12/2/2022 at 2:47 PM, lhcomics said:

I have a few of these from 1971 still in original roll. Kinda like a CGC 9.8 bronze comic though. Don't want to crack it out. Just buy a low grade poster to enjoy and keep this beauty in it's original form.

20221202_133449.thumb.jpg.09d98b98130b7ca82a398ec8190b29c0.jpg

Wow...just wow.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:47 PM, lhcomics said:

I have a few of these from 1971 still in original roll. Kinda like a CGC 9.8 bronze comic though. Don't want to crack it out. Just buy a low grade poster to enjoy and keep this beauty in it's original form.

(worship)

On 12/2/2022 at 1:47 PM, lhcomics said:

What are these valued at?  They were sold to stores for $1 and stores sold them for $2.  I think they have increased in value so much its hard to know what to think.  I think the economy has been tough on these perhsps.  How did you acquire rolled 1971 Third Eyes?  Maybe someone closed a store and put stock in storage is all I can guess.

How else then .. i guess one inherited an old head shop that closed and thus, perhaps mint items were found

a storage unit find  provided these ?  or  how?

On 12/9/2022 at 1:29 AM, JupiterE said:

What are these valued at?  They were sold to stores for $1 and stores sold them for $2.  I think they have increased in value so much its hard to know what to think.  I think the economy has been tough on these perhsps.  How did you acquire rolled 1971 Third Eyes?  Maybe someone closed a store and put stock in storage is all I can guess.

How else then .. i guess one inherited an old head shop that closed and thus, perhaps mint items were found

a storage unit find  provided these ?  or  how?

Just from looking at possible purchases on eBay, they could go for around $400 a piece, more or less. I would be leery of posters that have been rolled that tight for 50 years, as the paper may be really difficult to flatten back out into its original form.

On 12/10/2022 at 7:23 AM, lizards2 said:

Just from looking at possible purchases on eBay, they could go for around $400 a piece, more or less. I would be leery of posters that have been rolled that tight for 50 years, as the paper may be really difficult to flatten back out into its original form.

The Third Eye posters are serigraphs and are on heavier paper stock - those posters are pretty tough, and would require a little bit of heat to get them flat, but I think they would be fine.

The bigger problem of storing these rolled is that the oil in the heavy coverage of the printing ink saturates the paper over the years due to separation or migration (I'm not sure why) - you can see this when you look at the backside of the posters (I think all but one of mine had some discoloration). My concern over storing them rolled would be that the oil separation/migration would discolor or stain the image on the front side of the poster.

The caveat being that the oil discoloration might come from the environment in which the posters were stored. I'm not sure the origins of my posters, where they came from, etc. I'd be curious if other boardies who have these posters unframed can see any sort of discoloration on the backside?

Personally, I would remove the posters from the rolls, flatten them and store them properly. These are 50+ years old and are not offset lithography - they should be cared for like an actual piece of art, which they kind of are, if you are familiar with the serigraph process.

On 12/10/2022 at 12:01 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The Third Eye posters are serigraphs and are on heavier paper stock - those posters are pretty tough, and would require a little bit of heat to get them flat, but I think they would be fine.

The bigger problem of storing these rolled is that the oil in the heavy coverage of the printing ink saturates the paper over the years due to separation or migration (I'm not sure why) - you can see this when you look at the backside of the posters (I think all but one of mine had some discoloration). My concern over storing them rolled would be that the oil separation/migration would discolor or stain the image on the front side of the poster.

The caveat being that the oil discoloration might come from the environment in which the posters were stored. I'm not sure the origins of my posters, where they came from, etc. I'd be curious if other boardies who have these posters unframed can see any sort of discoloration on the backside?

Personally, I would remove the posters from the rolls, flatten them and store them properly. These are 50+ years old and are not offset lithography - they should be cared for like an actual piece of art, which they kind of are, if you are familiar with the serigraph process.

I agree. Rolled for extended time is bad. 

On 12/10/2022 at 9:01 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Mine have no discoloration, but I've lived under ideal storage conditions for all my life. 

I bought mine at the Import Market (might not have the name right), which was downtown Portland 50 years ago.