• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most under-hyped/underpriced comics in your opinion?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2022 at 2:38 AM, mtlevy1 said:

Conan 58 - 1st Belit

Overstreet has it wrong as 2nd appearance so it is undervalued - not sure how long it will take them to correct it, if ever, so may not be easy money!

CGC agrees with Overstreet - that Belit's first appearance was Giant-Size Conan # 1, although Wikipedia argues that's actually Valeria shown in Giant-Size # 1.

On 12/5/2022 at 9:38 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

I thought Avengers #85 was the first Squadron Supreme and Avengers #69 was the first Nighthawk.

They first appear as Squadron Sinister, issue 69 and 70. Super-villain team appears first.

Then it gets into parallel universe confusion, more and more.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/5/2022 at 6:30 PM, Ken Aldred said:

They first appear as Squadron Sinister, issue 69 and 70. Super-villain team appears first.

Then it gets into parallel universe confusion, more and more.

Yes, Squadron Sinister first appearance is Avengers #69  with Hyperion, and Doctor Spectrum making their debuts, while Daredevil #62 it is Nighthawk's first full appearance. 

That parallel universe confusion might be the reason they are under hyped and underpriced.

On 12/5/2022 at 2:32 PM, Gatsby77 said:

CGC agrees with Overstreet - that Belit's first appearance was Giant-Size Conan # 1, although Wikipedia argues that's actually Valeria shown in Giant-Size # 1.

CGC and Overstreet have it wrong. I don’t have a copy handy but I’ve posted the image somewhere: in GS #1, there is a dream sequence page where Conan’s thinks of the women in his life and in the thought balloon are the names Belit, Valeria and Red Sonja. The accompanying panel pictures one woman, a blonde, which is Valeria. That’s all GS #1 has re: Belit, her name in a thought balloon.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:53 AM, Readcomix said:

CGC and Overstreet have it wrong. I don’t have a copy handy but I’ve posted the image somewhere: in GS #1, there is a dream sequence page where Conan’s thinks of the women in his life and in the thought balloon are the names Belit, Valeria and Red Sonja. The accompanying panel pictures one woman, a blonde, which is Valeria. That’s all GS #1 has re: Belit, her name in a thought balloon.

Totally  agree. GS1 is a first mention. That small dream picture looks nothing like Belit so fails to even be a 1st app. In cameo. Conan 58 is the true 1st app.

On 12/6/2022 at 10:02 PM, the blob said:

so many. i have been aging them like a fine cheese.

I ended up with a bunch of copies of Thor 338, because MCS was selling it for like $3.65 for a 7.5 ( which from MCS are generally pretty nice copies).  It was probably a $10-15 dollar book on Ebay at the time, so every time I had an order I would add all of the Thor 338s they had.  They have it priced correctly now.

Of course, a $15 book is actually work to sell.  It doesn't make sense to consign to MCS, and I'm too lazy to sell it on Ebay.  So I've just got my stack of Thor 338s now. 

On 12/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, Hamlet said:

I ended up with a bunch of copies of Thor 338, because MCS was selling it for like $3.65 for a 7.5 ( which from MCS are generally pretty nice copies).  It was probably a $10-15 dollar book on Ebay at the time, so every time I had an order I would add all of the Thor 338s they had.  They have it priced correctly now.

Of course, a $15 book is actually work to sell.  It doesn't make sense to consign to MCS, and I'm too lazy to sell it on Ebay.  So I've just got my stack of Thor 338s now. 

I have a lot of 338s too, don't get me wrong, just more 339s

On 12/1/2022 at 2:52 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

What are the most under-hyped/underpriced comic in your opinion?

Any thoughts?

:popcorn:

The entire 1968-1979 Captain Marvel title

On 12/8/2022 at 8:44 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

The entire 1968-1979 Captain Marvel title

Doesn't really get going until the Starlin era.  The Thomas and Kane issues are nice as well.