• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell us your dirty little comics secrets. I'll start...
1 1

140 posts in this topic

When I was a kid, I read every comic I bought from cover to cover, sometimes repeatedly.

By the late 90's, when I'd get hundreds of new books each month, I might have read half of those at the time, or since.

At this point, even though I regularly add 2-3 dozen books to my collection each month, mainly for their covers, the percentage of those I actually read is probably in single digits. 

On 12/5/2022 at 8:32 AM, jdandns said:

When I was a kid, I read every comic I bought from cover to cover, sometimes repeatedly.

By the late 90's, when I'd get hundreds of new books each month, I might have read half of those at the time, or since.

At this point, even though I regularly add 2-3 dozen books to my collection each month, mainly for their covers, the percentage of those I actually read is probably in single digits. 

Yeah - same here. I'm pretty much a "stamp" collector any more. Buy, grade, rebag, put it in the box.

I buy a lot of graphic novels but read maybe like 1 out of 10 - usually just the war-themed ones.

On 12/4/2022 at 7:04 PM, universal soldier said:

:headbang:

That's the classic right there! 

I eventually got around to checking out the rest of his catalogue. Criminally underrated. I think he got marketed as a poor man's Jimi Hendrix. That hurt him. 

He peaked with Bridge of Sighs, but I've found a few more records that are fantastic for road trips. Long Misty Days is a banger. 

On 12/5/2022 at 3:30 PM, newshane said:
On 12/4/2022 at 5:04 PM, universal soldier said:

:headbang:

Expand  

That's the classic right there! 

I eventually got around to checking out the rest of his catalogue. Criminally underrated. I think he got marketed as a poor man's Jimi Hendrix. That hurt him. 

He peaked with Bridge of Sighs, but I've found a few more records that are fantastic for road trips. Long Misty Days is a banger. 

We used to listen to this one quite a bit.
Picture 1 of 1

I love chromium covers. I'd happily pay extra for every issue to have one. They keep the comic in such nicer condition. 

There’s probably others who did this (stating this is my way of feeling better)

It was 1992 and I won my friend’s high grade X-Men run (#97-130) while gambling with darts. I don’t know where he got them, but nearly half of them had double-covers with a couple of triple-covers. Of course the inner covers were in better shape, so I removed all the outer covers. Many were 9.4–9.8. :cry:

On 12/5/2022 at 1:59 PM, I Am The Answer! said:

Back in the mid 1980s I was too poor to afford a car but I did have enough income to buy comics.  The only way I could get to my LCS though was by convincing my then girlfriend to drive me there in her car.  She would drop me off and wait in the parking lot until I was done browsing and picking up my weekly books (for some reason she never wanted to go in).  Normally, I wouldn't take too long in the store but a few times I can remember being in there for a good 30-45 mins or so.  She never complained.  Not once.  We've been married for for 34 years... 

congrats on finding such a considerate and loving soul for which to spend your life with. She should write a book on relationship dos and don’ts. You definitely hit the jackpot there. (thumbsu

On 12/5/2022 at 8:22 PM, KryptoMayor said:

There’s probably others who did this (stating this is my way of feeling better)

It was 1992 and I won my friend’s high grade X-Men run (#97-130) while gambling with darts. I don’t know where he got them, but nearly half of them had double-covers with a couple of triple-covers. Of course the inner covers were in better shape, so I removed all the outer covers. Many were 9.4–9.8. :cry:

I think I’m gonna be sick

image.gif.61777f990729a07243c93f52aae7f952.gif

Here’s one:

When I was first getting into the hobby, I was reading the forums about most wanted comics.  A couple boardies mentioned they wanted a “Mask #1”.  You can probably guess what I was thinking, and why it confused me…

B967735A-D557-43C5-A3C8-44BB0F514EC0.jpeg

B5122A90-0B4D-476F-BC68-0C69B0FEE6E6.png

Edited by Conali

On 12/8/2022 at 2:48 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Childhood stash :blush:

E0C79153-3F64-4266-9AA4-B8E7166354C9.thumb.jpeg.719a80a6211a3611be900dc81bae37fd.jpeg

And if you’re wondering where the stickers went....

CDCDB34E-D679-401B-AED0-DD6A323C6BCE.thumb.jpeg.5ce4ef409d73d13df966ee8185dbb802.jpeg

And look who’s hanging with the angels....

C11AEDA4-FAEC-43A8-9D4C-AC6D7DD481BD.jpeg.0efdcd8dc7d3f203943f2be87f3a154f.jpegA03C1962-3880-46DA-BB01-1072AC7F877C.thumb.jpeg.69c139f0a05b128cc8c7551ad9b89fea.jpeg

Talk about a flashback :highfive:

one of my best memories as a kid was hitting the corner candy store with whatever pocket change I had for a “shopping spree” of trading cards and junkfood 

Good Times, the 6 million dollar man, kojack, creature features…so many lost memories :x

I cut out the subscription coupon of my GI Joe #26.  (I think it was to subscribe to GI Joe...)

I bought multiple copies of Silver Sable and the Wild Pack #1 off the shelf.  (Ooh, shiny!)

I bought way too many issues (i.e., more than zero) of Squirrel Girl before I actually got around to reading them. :makepoint:

On 12/8/2022 at 5:59 PM, Gaard said:

This poster was on my bedroom wall back in my teen years.

farrah.jpg

Niblets! :whatthe: 

and :drool:

I think it was on 80% of bedroom doors at the time.