• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell us your dirty little comics secrets. I'll start...
1 1

140 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2022 at 10:02 PM, Kramerica said:

So, you didn't have the Pink Floyd album to listen to after you partaked in the bag 'o' weed?

lol I made due with some Moody Blues likely

On 12/3/2022 at 10:37 PM, universal soldier said:

I made Judy a mix CD about 10 years ago, with Moody Blues, Chicago, and Zeppelin .... odd combo, but we still listen to it to this day. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/3/2022 at 8:30 AM, NoMan said:

I loved Ripley’s Believe it or not comics. And twilight zone comics snd Richie rich

Nothing better then going into the woods in the summer with a coke and a Richie Rich comic..,,and rubbing one out

I didn't realise you also did it over there in the States.

It can become an absorbing, stimulating pastime, and very addictive...

Brass rubbing was originally a largely British enthusiasm for reproducing onto paper monumental brasses – commemorative brass plaques found in churches, usually originally on the floor, from between the thirteenth and sixteenth centuries. The concept of recording textures of things is more generally called making a rubbing. What distinguishes rubbings from frottage is that rubbings are meant to reproduce the form of something being transferred, whereas frottage is usually only intended to use a general texture.

Brass rubbings are created by laying a sheet of paper on top of a brass (then called "latten" - a zinc-copper alloy produced via the obsolete calamine brass process) and rubbing the paper with graphite, wax, or chalk, a process similar to rubbing a pencil over a piece of paper placed on top of a coin. In the past rubbings were most commonly made using the equivalent of what nowadays is called "butcher's paper" [a 22–30-inch-wide (560–760 mm) roll of whitish paper] laid down over the brass and rubbed with "heelball", a waxy glob of black crayon once used to shine shoes. Now most brass rubbers purchase special paper rolls of heavy duty black velvety material, and the crayons are gold, silver or bronze (other colours are available).

According to the Monumental Brass Society, the practice of brass rubbing does not harm a brass if competently carried out, assuming the brass is securely fixed.[1] Nonetheless, in many cases creating rubbings is banned by historical sites and churches. Brass rubbing centres with replicas of original brass plaques have become a prime source for brass rubbings in the UK.[2] Replicas are often not the same scale as the original.

Wow,,,,, I too traded a bootleg Pink Floyd album "Libest Spacement Monitor" the K&S multicolour copy for my Marvel Mystery #14 and a mint Silver Surfer #1,,,,,,, I still have the MM#14! The record was given to me by a friend MANY years ago,,,, but I fell hard for Schomberg covers! Hah! I've since replaced my "Libest" at quite the cost!

On 12/4/2022 at 9:50 AM, newshane said:

ANOTHER NOTE: the boyfriend she had before me would spend all his time and money at the LCS. She couldn’t handle another dork in her life

I've heard this from women I've dated before. My girlfriend loves that I collect comics (she's a huge plant nerd so I think she "gets it"), but I've been told by others that they don't want to date gamers because of past partners whose time and focus on that hobby was to the detriment of other aspects of their lives. Shame, but we all have our preferences I suppose.

Congrats on finding someone who supports your enthusiasm!

On 12/5/2022 at 3:50 AM, newshane said:

I got dumped once over comics:

Her: what’s up? 

Me: nothing much. Putting my Wolverine collection in fresh bags. 

Her: …….are you effing serious?!

Me: ……..yes? Why?

Her: Look, I don’t think I’ll be able to cook dinner for us at my house. 

Fast forward a few days. We are having ice cream before a movie date. 

Her: I’m not going to be able to do this. 

NOTE: this girl was a Harry Potter fan who dressed up for the movies and /I/ was too nerdy for her? GTFO!!!

ANOTHER NOTE: the boyfriend she had before me would spend all his time and money at the LCS. She couldn’t handle another dork in her life. 

OUTCOME: thank god she dumped me. What an awful couple we would have been. Met my wife later that year. Much sweeter with better headlights and taillights AND she actually encouraged me to buy my first four-figure book. 

LESSON: Things often work out for the best.

I once dated 3 hardcore Buffy fans in a row. It just meant by number 3 I already really knew how to converse with her in her language, even if I was well and truly sick of the bloody thing. 

Back in the 80s I had a copy of the Nam #1. One of my primary school class mates was desperate to buy it because he loved Vietnam war stuff. I ended up selling it to him for $60. Looking back I really screwed him on that deal. Sorry wherever you are 

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 12/4/2022 at 5:43 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Back in the 80s I had a copy of the Nam #1. One of my primary school class mates was desperate to buy it because he loved Vietnam war stuff. I ended up selling it to him for $60. Looking back I really screwed him on that deal. Sorry wherever you are 

Where did a primary school kid get $60?

On 12/4/2022 at 5:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 12/4/2022 at 4:43 PM, MattrixAlien said:

One of my primary school class mates...loved Vietnam war stuff.

From all of the neighborhood VC he buried in his back yard?

On 12/5/2022 at 9:04 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Maybe he raided his Dad's wallet :nyah: Or from the pocket money for jobs around the house he saved up. I can't remember. I didn't really want to sell it so I set the price high and was surprised when he went for it anyway

On 12/4/2022 at 6:20 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Maybe he raided his Dad's wallet :nyah: Or from the pocket money for jobs around the house he saved up. I can't remember. I didn't really want to sell it so I set the price high and was surprised when he went for it anyway

Maybe he got it the same way you did, and or, had just parted ways with a stack of Dazzler or supergirl lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/3/2022 at 7:37 PM, universal soldier said:
On 12/3/2022 at 7:02 PM, Kramerica said:

So, you didn't have the Pink Floyd album to listen to after you partaked in the bag 'o' weed?

Robin Trower was the ultimate weed music.

On 12/4/2022 at 6:43 PM, lizards2 said:

Robin Trower was the ultimate weed music.

YES. A million times this 

On 12/4/2022 at 7:06 PM, comicginger1789 said:
On 12/3/2022 at 7:04 PM, Kramerica said:

I read a bunch of Cherry Poptart's before I was 17. I never looked at the Archie Comics in the Dentist Office the same ever again.

I ate a bunch of cherry poptarts before I was 17.....the dentist always hated me.

I call B.S.   

The Dentist loved you - you funded the spring breaks in Cabo.

When I was younger I went to a yard sale checked out the one bag of comics picked up JLA 1 and Superman 99 for $2 and walked away...never telling the guy he had a gold mind  (worst part I could not come back on Sunday to get more)

shame.gif