• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell us your dirty little comics secrets. I'll start...
1 1

140 posts in this topic

In all seriousness, I get extreme anxiety throwing comics away no matter how bad of shape they are in or how invaluable they are (from garage/estate sales, online buys, etc.) even after I research each one and the no-goods are in a box to be dumped. A few years ago I ended up donating books to children's wards in hospitals. Around this same timeframe, I bought more than 500 True Believers comics (various Spidey's and others) and donated anything that was 9.4 or less. Yes really. :) 

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 12/9/2022 at 9:55 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

It was all about Heather Thomas for me....

7F6942C3-41A0-4924-BCF0-886EFB9D6B52.gif.d5f69657be36058f93ab6af9a2547488.gifA62A4B98-626E-47A1-87C2-09F0C55A4EB2.gif.4d42dced927d3c407a01eb47e41b8149.gif

Heather Thomas, Heather Locklear...the 80's was a quality time for Heathers.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:08 PM, unclezebo said:

Not all Heathers.

Heathers 1988, directed by Michael Lehmann | Film review

I had a giant Heathers British quad poster in my bedroom for most of my teenage years. Winona forever xoxoxo 

On 12/9/2022 at 10:37 PM, Sillydiabetic said:

So dirty secrets eh?   It may be time to get this one off of my chest. 
I had a decent collection going in the early nineties, and of course read all the issues I owned.  One evening I decided to pull out my really nice copy of ASM 300.  It was already a “big book” back then - it was thirty whole dollars!

The story seemed to be off, kinda didn’t make sense.  I usually had no problem following a storyline.  I suddenly convinced myself that it was a defective book, or wrongly hailed as a big deal, and decided to purge it from my collection.  Ripped it straight in half.  

The next day, I remembered what had happened, and realized that my blood sugar had been really low, and comprehension flies out the window sometimes….   

72D3F10E-38FD-4582-91AE-678E517F685C.png.28061a29c0ff2e0ddcd6756a69965627.png

On 12/10/2022 at 3:37 AM, Sillydiabetic said:

So dirty secrets eh?   It may be time to get this one off of my chest. 
I had a decent collection going in the early nineties, and of course read all the issues I owned.  One evening I decided to pull out my really nice copy of ASM 300.  It was already a “big book” back then - it was thirty whole dollars!

The story seemed to be off, kinda didn’t make sense.  I usually had no problem following a storyline.  I suddenly convinced myself that it was a defective book, or wrongly hailed as a big deal, and decided to purge it from my collection.  Ripped it straight in half.  

The next day, I remembered what had happened, and realized that my blood sugar had been really low, and comprehension flies out the window sometimes….   

You have to be careful with hypoglycaemia or other dissociative conditions with regards to decision making, errors that lead to damaging items in your collection, social interactions at conventions.

On 12/10/2022 at 4:03 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

72D3F10E-38FD-4582-91AE-678E517F685C.png.28061a29c0ff2e0ddcd6756a69965627.png

It can be devastating, as I experienced with my mother in the 80s.  An example of a very bad time situation that comics faithfully helped to get me through, year in, year out.

I bought all the New Universe titles when they came out, and read Star Brand until its conclusion.  I MUCH later hunted down and collected the entire Marvel New Universe line, and tried to read them all.  The only one I really, really couldn't read all the way through was Kickers, Inc.  Confession on top of confession: I actually really liked Gruenwald and Ryan's D.P.7.

I don't know if I've ever talked about this one with anybody before, but when I was in grade school (circa 1984) I was working on creating a comic book with a friend of mine - I would write, and he would draw.  My -script had been done for some time, and he never drew any pages for it, though he did some awesome character sketches.  Finally, I made him bet his John Byrne FF collection (probably from #232-259 at the time) that he would miss our next "deadline."  When he did, I insisted he forfeit his comics and even showed up on his doorstep to collect.  

I still have them in my collection today.  

Edited by djzombi

On 12/29/2022 at 4:22 PM, djzombi said:

I bought all the New Universe titles when they came out, and read Star Brand until its conclusion.  I MUCH later hunted down and collected the entire Marvel New Universe line, and tried to read them all.  The only one I really, really couldn't read all the way through was Kickers, Inc.  Confession on top of confession: I actually really liked Gruenwald and Ryan's D.P.7.

I don't know if I've ever talked about this one with anybody before, but when I was in grade school (circa 1984) I was working on creating a comic book with a friend of mine - I would write, and he would draw.  My --script had been done for some time, and he never drew any pages for it, though he did some awesome character sketches.  Finally, I made him bet his John Byrne FF collection (probably from #232-259 at the time) that he would miss our next "deadline."  When he did, I insisted he forfeit his comics and even showed up on his doorstep to collect.  

I still have them in my collection today.  

Lol, great story on the FF. 😄