• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tokyo Comic Con 2022
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Thanks for the fun and detailed report Frank! Pretty much looks like any big US con but something I would have to experience if I were there. Sad very little vintage US comics. But, I suspect, that people in Japan are more into other things than them.

What suprises me is the huge Marvel and DC presence. They seem to have given up at most US cons. The tribute to Stan was great.

Still, a fun experience and well worth going to. Best part was to cap it off with sushi and beer for $20.!

By comparison, the big LA comic con is going on this weekend. I passed after hearing from my little brother who went yesterday for gaming when he said there were virtually no vintage comic dealers. This is by far the main reason I go to them. I might get more comics at PCC tomorrow…

Thanks again and enjoy your trip!

Aren't there ginormous Manga related conventions?  I recall seeing pics or writeups of such events years ago.

On 12/4/2022 at 2:45 AM, adamstrange said:

Aren't there ginormous Manga related conventions?  I recall seeing pics or writeups of such events years ago.

Probably, I will need to look into that. Most shows were cancelled for two years due to Covid and are just getting back into gear now. There are numerous small museums devoted to individual Manga artists and there is also a very large Manga museum in Kyoto which is more like a library of Manga than a museum.

I don't know enough about Manga but I would like to find out more. One day we went out to the Kato train store and decided to walk back a different way and ended up at the Toshima train station which surprisingly had this Manga map. I took this shot as I'd like to go back one day and see the museum but need to understand more about the characters and artist first.

275362118_MangaMap.thumb.jpg.d7475c36c320239ed6a6526adceb8bea.jpg

On 12/4/2022 at 1:02 AM, Robot Man said:

Thanks for the fun and detailed report Frank! Pretty much looks like any big US con but something I would have to experience if I were there. Sad very little vintage US comics. But, I suspect, that people in Japan are more into other things than them.

What suprises me is the huge Marvel and DC presence. They seem to have given up at most US cons. The tribute to Stan was great.

Still, a fun experience and well worth going to. Best part was to cap it off with sushi and beer for $20.!

By comparison, the big LA comic con is going on this weekend. I passed after hearing from my little brother who went yesterday for gaming when he said there were virtually no vintage comic dealers. This is by far the main reason I go to them. I might get more comics at PCC tomorrow…

Thanks again and enjoy your trip!

Yeah the days of great big comic shows with comics are over. Hopefully you will get your fix at Terry's show this coming January (assume it is still happening).