• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE GRADE IS IN! ASM 1
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Im going to get this pressed and cleaned before it gets sent off but wanted to get opinions on what people thing the grade might be.  Its a fairly nice copy, the cover is attached (albeit very close to tearing) and the tear on the back. The chunk seems to be all there, it was folded up when I received it.  I was thinking anywhere from a 3.0-4.0 but really not sure with this specific book.

PXL_20221203_204655172.jpg

PXL_20221203_204658013.jpg

PXL_20221203_204659875.jpg

PXL_20221203_204701513.jpg

PXL_20221203_204705120.jpg

PXL_20221203_204710594.jpg

PXL_20221203_204719072.jpg

PXL_20221203_204727318.jpg

PXL_20221203_204800378.jpg

PXL_20221203_204804661.jpg

Edited by Cor88b

I think 3-4 is about the right range. I'm going to say 4.0, especially since there seems to be evidence that early ASMs can get a little bit of a bump. I wouldn't storm the CGC complex in Sarasota if you got a 4.5 post-C/P. There is some risk with the pressing if that staple is barely hanging on. Get someone that knows what they're doing obviously. It might be a case where the potential improvement is marginal and worth skipping to avoid additional damage.

You're on target.

3.0/3.5. A CGC grade of 4.0 wouldn't surprise me after a C&P.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by grendelbo

On 12/5/2022 at 9:29 AM, Bayowolf said:

3.0 as is.Looks pretty fragile, CP might loosen cover do other damage;if not you could get to 4.

Im going to a really reputable presser here in Kansas City so im going to show him photos and hopefully it can be done well.  Its not as fragile as it looks, I can easily flip through it but it wouldnt take much force to pop the bottom staple so im trying to be careful.

On 12/5/2022 at 10:12 AM, Bayowolf said:

If nervous about that staple holding, if you put a small piece of scrapebok tape inside by that staple, I don't think CGC would hold that against grade as it would be to preserve integrity of comic.

Other opinions on that please!

I think you are correct on a book 4.0 or lower. I have a 1st wasp that I had fabric tape placed to hold it.  It is low grade but didnt label any restoration.

edit:  Id be interested in hearing others opinions as well.

Edited by Cor88b

On 12/5/2022 at 10:18 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

I'm going to go with 3.0   I think I would be to nervous to clean and press........but I'm not very smart......

oh I am 100 percent nervous as well. I just really think it would benefit from it.  My presser doesnt think it will be much issue. This book is something id never imagine owning and just absolutely lucked into getting it in a huge box that I purchased for 100 dollars.  So im trying to be as delicate as I can with this book.  

I'll stick with 3.5. It looks like a very nice presenting book. Good colors and no big pieces missing. I'm jealous lol. 

I would suggest using CFP for pressing. Not to say your presser isn't qualified, but given the value of the book,  i would want the best working on it. 

I would have confidence,  that Joey would look at the spine and know exactly what can and should be done without damaging the book. I trusted him to do just that on a JIM83 with a similar spine. 

On 12/5/2022 at 9:12 AM, Bayowolf said:

If nervous about that staple holding, if you put a small piece of scrapebok tape inside by that staple, I don't think CGC would hold that against grade as it would be to preserve integrity of comic

I agree 100%. I think with the tape and a nice cnp you can get a 3.5. Those are some nice colors on that cover. That was $100 well spent. Congrats 👍

Based on the very insightful comments above as well as my 2 cents :flamed:- I would NOT press this book regardless of the credentials of your presser ----- and I'd pack this book using a top-loader as well as bag with a clear note to CGC to handle with care.  I would also send it express tier for the fasting shipping and return possible.  I also think with the culminative wear and tear - a press will not make a difference other than appearance-wise perhaps and the less people handling with less transit on this raw book the better. :peace: