• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Milestone in my Collecting Journey

13 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, OtherEric said:

A very nice milestone indeed!

Are you specifically looking for only Golden Age books, or will any era do?  MCS has quite a few inexpensive Fantucchio books, and if you look around a bit there are later issues of MAD that are Gaines File Copies.

No, I am not limiting myself to GA books.  Fantucchio is on my list as one of the next most affordable.  I would absolutely LOVE to find a Gaines copy.  I work with a very limited budget, so I aim for maybe one book a month or so, occasionally two if I find them at a good price.

Thanks for the tip!

PDG

On 12/5/2022 at 1:02 PM, OtherEric said:

Glad I could help.  Metropolis was where I got my GFC Mad magazine, it looks like they have a few affordable ones left as well.

Love it!  I just sent off an email asking about them.  Did yours come with a COA??  I would like to be able to submit whatever I get for grading if I buy a raw copy so that the book preserves it provenance.

PDG

On 12/5/2022 at 11:51 AM, PDGray said:

Love it!  I just sent off an email asking about them.  Did yours come with a COA??  I would like to be able to submit whatever I get for grading if I buy a raw copy so that the book preserves it provenance.

PDG

No COA, the best it has is the Metropolis label on the bag, which does say it's a GFC.  I do not know if that is sufficient for CGC to label it as such.  For that matter, none of the Fantucchio books I've gotten from MCS had COA's, either.  If you find out what is required to get the pedigree on the label, let me know... I would love to get the Mad submitted, and maybe a couple of the Fantucchio's. 

Mad 246 GFC.jpg

On 12/5/2022 at 2:01 PM, OtherEric said:

No COA, the best it has is the Metropolis label on the bag, which does say it's a GFC.  I do not know if that is sufficient for CGC to label it as such.  For that matter, none of the Fantucchio books I've gotten from MCS had COA's, either.  If you find out what is required to get the pedigree on the label, let me know... I would love to get the Mad submitted, and maybe a couple of the Fantucchio's. 

Mad 246 GFC.jpg

I have submitted a question to the "Ask CGC" forum shortly ago - let's see what they have to say on the topic - then that will be the driving force behind my next moves.

Also, I just added a Boston since my initial post this morning!!  Whoot!!!

PDG

On 12/5/2022 at 9:51 AM, PDGray said:

Today, I can now say that I have 26 pedigrees represented in my collection.  So, I still have a long way to go, but this has been a fun journey, and yes, I am actively looking for others - budgetary considerations have to follow.

Being a long time comic book collector myself, definitely an admirable goal to try to shoot for and one which I have thought about myself.  (thumbsu

Looks like you are well on your way with 26 of them already, including the biggie in terms of a book from the Edgar Church collection itself.  :applause:

From looking at you list of pedigrees collected to date, it looks like the toughies are going t be a copy from the Allentown and Denver pedigrees since those are of very limited size in terms of only 135 and 153 existing books respectively within these two highly desired pedigrees.  :cloud9:

"Second" that this is a great collecting goal.  What I like about the Pedigrees - and even the "from the collection ofs" is that they are unique books.  In most cases there is no other book that's the "D Crippen copy" of Book X.  I'm not actively seeking them as you are, but have picked up a couple here and there.  Congrats.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:51 AM, PDGray said:

So, today I realized I just hit a milestone in my collecting.  I decided to post this here since most of my own posting is in the GA Forum.  Some of you in this forum have been extremely kind to me in my search for "Pedigree" status books and I am grateful for your help.  My end goal is to own ONE book from each of the pedigrees.  I know this is an extremely unlikely goal for me to hit, but it's what I am working toward.  

Today, I can now say that I have 26 pedigrees represented in my collection.  So, I still have a long way to go, but this has been a fun journey, and yes, I am actively looking for others - budgetary considerations have to follow.

For your entertainment I have books from each of the following pedigrees:

Bethlehem

Boston (Added since my initial post this morning - 5 DEC 2022)
Bowling Green
Circle 8
Crowley
Curator
Davis Crippen "D"
Edgar Church/Mile High
Eldon
Green River
Lost Valley
Mass Copy
Mile High II (ok, so not considered a Pedigree anymore - so ding me one if you like)
Northland
Nova Scotia
Oakland
Ohio
Promise
River City
Rockford
Rocky Mountain
Savannah
Twin Cities
Western Penn
White Mountain
Winnipeg

A few of these I have managed to pick up a couple from that pedigree, but this has been some of the most fun in my collecting history.

PDG

Congrats! Kewl goal! This idea has been tossed around on occasion and always enthusiastically.  Also, this is a more reasonable, less frustrating self-challenge for grade collectors than trying to put together runs, ...and it's a lot of fun.

:cheers:

26 of them........that's impressive. There's like 61 now according to the website.

Quite a goal to endeavor (endeavour for those up north and across the pond). I bet only a few people have actually accomplished it, if any. Probably a few but I'm sure a very few.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:58 PM, Professor K said:

26 of them........that's impressive. There's like 61 now according to the website.

Quite a goal to endeavor (endeavour for those up north and across the pond). I bet only a few people have actually accomplished it, if any. Probably a few but I'm sure a very few.

Well, to be honest, the Mile High II isn't recognized as a pedigree any longer, so 25 really.  Most are ones I have found relatively inexpensively, so no really HUGE books among my pedigrees, but I am pretty happy to be the caretaker of these books for the next generation.  I am in discussions for a Larsen, but am not overly optimistic at the moment.  

If anyone knows of a non-camp Okajima, that would be a nice one to add, or any other relatively non-expensive, non-key issue pedigrees - let me know!!

PDG