• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most expensive Bronze age comic book
3 3

41 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2022 at 4:03 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

There's been a tendency here one the cgc boards over the years to diminish these non canons and other foreign books because they are not in English. 

A few years ago i posted for sale here on the boards a Cuentos de Brujas 37 (mexican chamber of chills 19) . I think i was asking $500 . Nobody wanted it . I even got a comment from a boardy telling me something like this: "cool book you should get it signed by the Misfits and maybe it will be sold"

That book now is easily a $5000 or more . Now i get pm's from time to time from boardies asking me if i have a copy. 

Same thing with Non canon spideys i posted 3 years ago a beautiful lot . It was sold in two days . All the buyers where from outside of the board not a single boardie purchased a book. 

American books are cool but silver , bronze , cooper and modern where produced in very large quantities . If you want a Hulk 181 you can go to ebay and choose any grade you like... If you want a foreign edition even if you have the money you will probably have to wait years to find a copy. 

I thought I bought a non canon Spidey from you a few years ago but it must have been a different thread or different seller.

On 12/6/2022 at 12:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why would I be upset ? ???

I’m genuinely curious why someone would pay so much for the book. 

I had to ask. Normal response to foreigns in here is I oNlY rEaD iN eNgLiSh. Its an amazing piece of international comic history. To think another country deviated from Marvel when Gwen Stacy was supposed to die and kept her alive. Never been reprinted snywhere. Not sure anyone even knows if La Prensa ever actually got permission to do these non canon stories. It's a coveted piece. Very hard to find in higher grades. Most who have this issue will never sell it so it will rarely pop up on the market even as the value climbs. Only 7 copies on the CGC census. This being the 3rd highest. 

Top bronze age comics by highest recorded sales include the following:

• Hero for Hire #1
  • Star Wars #1
  • Green Lantern #76
  • Marvel Spotlight #5
  • Incredible Hulk #181
  • Giant-Size X-Men #1

Some of the above have seen highest graded copies sell for six figures.  From what I've read, the highest recorded sale of all is of a cgc 9.8 copy of Spotlight #5 for $264,000.

Edited by namisgr

On 12/8/2022 at 5:02 PM, namisgr said:

• Hero for Hire #1 (Luke Cage First Appearance)
  • Star Wars #1 (Rare Variant of First Issue)
  • Green Lantern #76 (Green Arrow Team-Up)
  • Marvel Spotlight #5 (Ghost Rider First Appearance)
  • Incredible Hulk #181 (Wolverine First Appearance)

Some of the above have seen highest graded copies sell for six figures.  From what I've read, the highest recorded sale of all is of a cgc 9.8 copy of Spotlight #5 for $264,000.

But none break $35K in 6.5

I believe that’s the argument here for this being the most expensive BA book. 

On 12/8/2022 at 5:02 PM, namisgr said:

• Hero for Hire #1 (Luke Cage First Appearance)
  • Star Wars #1 (Rare Variant of First Issue)
  • Green Lantern #76 (Green Arrow Team-Up)
  • Marvel Spotlight #5 (Ghost Rider First Appearance)
  • Incredible Hulk #181 (Wolverine First Appearance)

It is the most paid for a CGC 6.5 Bronze Age book. What do the books you mentioned sell for in a CGC 6.5?  $35,000?

On 12/8/2022 at 5:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

But none break $35K in 6.5

I believe that’s the argument here for this being the most expensive BA book. 

I understand that.  None come close to reaching that price in 6.5 condition.  But the sales of highest graded copies of different issues can be compared directly without consideration of what that highest grade might be - after all, we can only compare comic books that are actually known to exist.

To me personally, it doesn't make sense to refer to a $35,000 sale of a 6.5 copy of an issue as being the most valuable BA comic when a different issue has a recorded sale of $264,000.  Your mileage may vary.

Edited by namisgr

On 12/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, namisgr said:

I understand that.  None come close to reaching that price in 6.5 condition.  But the sales of highest graded copies of different issues can be compared directly without consideration of what that highest grade might be - after all, we can only compare comic books that are actually known to exist.

To me personally, it doesn't make sense to refer to a $35,000 sale of a 6.5 copy of an issue as being the most valuable BA comic when a different issue has a recorded sale of $264,000.  Your mileage may vary.

The title of this post was not accurate. The CGC article states it is the highest value paid for a CGC 6.5 Bronze Age book. Not that it is the most valuable Bronze Age comic. 

On 12/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, namisgr said:

I agree.  The question is really this: 

Were an unread copy found & it graded 9.8, would it sell for more than $264,000?

On 12/8/2022 at 5:19 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Were an unread copy found & it graded 9.8, would it sell for more than $264,000?

There is a 9.2 copy on the census. I doubt that copy will ever be beat

Just what i was about to post.  There are many reasons why it might not.

It is worth debating what a CGC 9.8 Detective #27 would go for, when one doesn't exist?  You sort of need to scale and compare best available copy to best available copy, 1:1.

That said i have no problem with the argument or the thread title.  It's correct that it's more valuable per grade point. There are two ways to define what's most valuable.

Edited by Heronext

I can’t answer that, but I suspect that if 9.8’s start surfacing, 6.5’s won’t sell for $35k anymore.

Not as much as an Action #1 in cgc 9.8, or a Hulk #181 in cgc 10.0.

Speculating about the value of comic books that are not known to exist is a weird undertaking.

Edited by namisgr

On 12/11/2022 at 8:57 AM, Off Panel said:

I can’t answer that, but I suspect that if 9.8’s start surfacing, 6.5’s won’t sell for $35k anymore.

Assuming higher graded copies cant move for more, sure. Also 9.8s of this book aren't just going to start appearing. You're talking about books from countries that didn't have a massive collector mentality like here in the U.S.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

So is collecting books with dudes in spandex, but here we are....

I would have referenced the comparing a bronze age book to an Action Comics #1 myself but I like your reply better 🤣

Edited by JGeezy87