Pitch Me On A D-Lister
1 1

55 posts in this topic

Anyway, to make a real contribution, or attempt to, I first thought of the Shroud as an underutilized Marvel bronze guy, but then I remembered they retconned him as Moon Knight’s mentor. (I wasn’t a big fan of Miller’s Stick Schtick in DD either) so I soured on my own idea.

But I concur with @shadroch on DC’s Stalker. Very inventive little run that ran only 4 issues; great art by Wally Wood and Steve Ditko. I finished reading it thinking he would make a great hero in present times. Didn’t know someone brought him back as a villain. What JSA run/issues, do you recall? I’d love to check out what they did with him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2022 at 5:08 AM, Readcomix said:

Anyway, to make a real contribution, or attempt to, I first thought of the Shroud as an underutilized Marvel bronze guy, but then I remembered they retconned him as Moon Knight’s mentor. (I wasn’t a big fan of Miller’s Stick Schtick in DD either) so I soured on my own idea.

But I concur with @shadroch on DC’s Stalker. Very inventive little run that ran only 4 issues; great art by Wally Wood and Steve Ditko. I finished reading it thinking he would make a great hero in present times. Didn’t know someone brought him back as a villain. What JSA run/issues, do you recall? I’d love to check out what they did with him. 

I believe the series was called The JSA Returns In it ,he isn't a villian. He is The Viliain, moving thru time and space to destroy all life everywhere.

There is also a strange story arc in Wonder Woman where a younger version of Stalker teams up with Claw the Unconquered and Beowulf( two other short lived DC Bronze Age heros) to fight an older version of himself, or something. I found it very confusing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2022 at 11:37 PM, shadroch said:

I believe the series was called The JSA Returns In it ,he isn't a villian. He is The Viliain, moving thru time and space to destroy all life everywhere.

There is also a strange story arc in Wonder Woman where a younger version of Stalker teams up with Claw the Unconquered and Beowulf( two other short lived DC Bronze Age heros) to fight an older version of himself, or something. I found it very confusing.

This is correct, it's JSA Returns. He's not in it as much as you'd think, though. The series mimics the way the JSA stories originally were told; we start with the whole team, then they pair off for duo tasks that will help them take out the villain, and then reunite to take on the big bad. He is the big bad in it, though. 

Fun series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I understand the original post, you want a D-list character reinvented in some way that would intrigue you (and not just a recommendation of a D-list character in a series that was a decent read)?

My idea….Razorback. That lame Spidey villain that appeared in Spec Spidey back in the 70s. Follow his life and fun adventures as a trucker/crime fighter in the Deep South.  Have him become the laughing stock over the course of the series to the point where it breaks him internally and sets him off, turning a lovable big oaf guy who was trying to be a hero and help into an enraged psycho who starts causing harm and damage. A pig gone wild if you will…and who will stop him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obnoxio the Clown - a slovenly, vulgar, cigar-puffing middle-aged man in a torn and dirty clown suit with a dyspeptic and cynical attitude. He was a mascot in Crazy Magazine and had a one shot vs the X-Men.  If done right, would be a fun read.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2022 at 8:37 AM, s-man said:

Obnoxio the Clown - a slovenly, vulgar, cigar-puffing middle-aged man in a torn and dirty clown suit with a dyspeptic and cynical attitude. He was a mascot in Crazy Magazine and had a one shot vs the X-Men.  If done right, would be a fun read.

Written by Alan Moore.

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, 'Treatment is simple. Great clown, Obnoxio, is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up.' Man bursts into tears. Says, 'But doctor, I am Obnoxio.'

Underworld robots, lost pets trying to find their way home and an unexpected McGuffin - all in this limited series published by Malibu.

Illustrated by Frank Brunner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about the League of Failed Backdoor Character Intro's from a Superman title?

And NOW the characters you saw on the cover and wondered, 'who's that?', TOGETHER for the first time.  None of them could hold a story by themselves, but together can they defeat Cauldron?  The most 90's Super-Villian ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Gangbuster as the human of the team, and general all purpose discount punching bag
Random former Team Luthor Member as the disgruntled former oblivious henchman with a heart of gold, also every team needs someone in a techno suit.
Agent Liberty as the government stamp of approval, and possibly also for tax assistance and discount car insurance
Sinbad as the reluctant teen member of the group, for angst and stuff
Alpha Centurion as the general 'super-guy' and alien in residence (also the best named of the bunch)
Rampage as Hulk Smash! err Rampage Smash! (may be too good for this list, but I generally recall her as being written one note, but with potential [for a lawsuit if nothing else])

I kept it to characters who actually have appeared on a cover, apologies if any of these get into C list territory (or go the other way).  A few have one-shots, all are largely forgotten (except Rampage).  Each was in at least two story arcs (just two for Sinbad and Alpha Centurion if I recall correctly).  Cauldron actually does have a second appearance, somewhat ruining the 'most 90's' label.  Gangbuster and Agent Liberty had longish sub-plots at one point.

act672s.jpg

adv492s.jpg

adv516s.jpg

LegacyofSuperman.jpg

act681s.jpg

act695s.jpg

Edited by kenaran
Typo Fixes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gordon, (the American), Prince, (the Englishman) and Horst (the German) - deserters from the French Foreign Legion operating as "The Mercenaries".  I don't know who else loved those guys, but I did.  I don't even know if they lasted more than 10-15 issues in G.I. Combat but they were awesome.

Love to see them come back in some form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2022 at 1:41 AM, kenaran said:

How about the League of Failed Backdoor Character Intro's from a Superman title?

And NOW the characters you saw on the cover and wondered, 'who's that?', TOGETHER for the first time.  None of them could hold a story by themselves, but together can they defeat Cauldron?  The most 90's Super-Villian ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Gangbuster as the human of the team, and general all purpose discount punching bag
Random former Team Luthor Member as the disgruntled former oblivious henchman with a heart of gold, also every team needs someone in a techno suit.
Agent Liberty as the government stamp of approval, and possibly also for tax assistance and discount car insurance
Sinbad as the reluctant teen member of the group, for angst and stuff
Alpha Centurion as the general 'super-guy' and alien in residence (also the best named of the bunch)
Rampage as Hulk Smash! err Rampage Smash! (may be too good for this list, but I generally recall her as being written one note, but with potential [for a lawsuit if nothing else])

I kept it to characters who actually have appeared on a cover, apologies if any of these get into C list territory (or go the other way).  A few have one-shots, all are largely forgotten (except Rampage).  Each was in at least two story arcs (just two for Sinbad and Alpha Centurion if I recall correctly).  Cauldron actually does have a second appearance, somewhat ruining the 'most 90's' label.  Gangbuster and Agent Liberty had longish sub-plots at one point.

act672s.jpg

adv492s.jpg

adv516s.jpg

LegacyofSuperman.jpg

act681s.jpg

act695s.jpg

90s Superman was generally quite readable, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2022 at 2:23 AM, roach04 said:

Gordon, (the American), Prince, (the Englishman) and Horst (the German) -

Glad you added English, as the first thing I thought about was one of my favourite musicians of all time, Prince Rogers Nelson, reimagined in comics as an ex-Foreign Legion mercenary.

Edited by Ken Aldred
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2022 at 3:25 AM, the blob said:

Rocker Racer! And not because I have 15 copies of his 1st app...

 

Rocket Racer?

And, let’s not forget The Big Wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1