• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learning experience
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, jas1vans said:

Some of the books in the sale have been separated and are going up for bids; high bid takes it, no knowledge of other bids. That's not a game I'm too interested in playing. It makes me think that the books weren't really part of the "estate" and are just getting tacked on.

The books that caught my eye, but weren't ones that I have been looking for were Blue Bolt 112, Planet 66, and Out of This World 1; amazing books!. There was a Journey Into Fear 1 and Strange Adventures 8 that I wouldn't have minded adding to my collection as well. There were a few others as well, but those were the ones that I thought were the best of the bunch.

At the very least, I got a little work looking up book values and I got to see some books that were off my radar. I'm also going to save a lot of time and hassle by skipping the estate sale.

Here's a link if anyone is interested: https://www.estatesales.net/WI/Elm-Grove/53122/3507936

I hope this can help someone find something they have been searching for!

Agreed; it's a bidding approach to reach the highest possible amount (if the right people show up) and also stick the highest bidder at his/her max instead of 1 increment over the next highest bid.

2 people bid on Comic X. Bidder 1 really wants it and bids $500; Bidder 2 just wanted to throw a bid in and bids $10. Instead of Bidder 1 winning the comic around $15, now he's paying $500.

However, you never know what will happen -- especially as they are closing the bids at 2pm on a Friday; maybe not a lot of people will remember or get bids in. If it's not far from you, and you can inspect the comics in person (like the back covers, rust, page count -- as I'm assuming the seller will not do this or let anyone know if something is wrong), it's worth a shot.

Some of these books may never pop up in your area again for years.

On 12/7/2022 at 5:18 PM, Scrooge said:

Jumping in will result in some mistakes for sure but these are inevitable no matter how much homework you'll do.

I paid easily too much for the following three books when I started buying GA but so (shrug) I needed to learn. Setting your sights on smaller books first might help - I still own all 3 :)

On 12/8/2022 at 8:59 AM, buttock said:

The best way to learn something is to do it.  Accept you'll make mistakes, but mitigate those and accept them as part of the process. 

This was the first book I picked up after making a list of the books I want in my collection. It started at $160 (on MCS) and I didn't feel comfortable. I've never spent that much on one book before. It got down to $110 and I didn't want to wait any longer and decided I'd rather have the book and be a little uneasy about the cost than watch it go. I was likely never going to find THIS book again. It stays forever for a number of reasons now.

(The whites are not quite that white. My phone makes it look a bit brighter than it actually is.)

20221010_161013.jpg

On 12/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, jas1vans said:

Some of the books in the sale have been separated and are going up for bids; high bid takes it, no knowledge of other bids. That's not a game I'm too interested in playing. It makes me think that the books weren't really part of the "estate" and are just getting tacked on.

The books that caught my eye, but weren't ones that I have been looking for were Blue Bolt 112, Planet 66, and Out of This World 1; amazing books!. There was a Journey Into Fear 1 and Strange Adventures 8 that I wouldn't have minded adding to my collection as well. There were a few others as well, but those were the ones that I thought were the best of the bunch.

At the very least, I got a little work looking up book values and I got to see some books that were off my radar. I'm also going to save a lot of time and hassle by skipping the estate sale.

Here's a link if anyone is interested: https://www.estatesales.net/WI/Elm-Grove/53122/3507936

I hope this can help someone find something they have been searching for!

I saw that sale previewed last week and considered driving up to see them, but as you said it would just be a waste of time.

This is a salient part of an email I received from them today;

We typically do not ship, however if the high bid was significantly higher than the next bid we will consider shipping. 

How do they expect to get bidders from beyond their locality if they won't ship?  Not sure I want to pull the trigger on anything now.

On 12/8/2022 at 9:29 PM, fifties said:

This is a salient part of an email I received from them today;

How do they expect to get bidders from beyond their locality if they won't ship?  Not sure I want to pull the trigger on anything now.

You’d bid on those from a single group

shot five feet away through a ziplock bag? 

On 12/7/2022 at 7:20 PM, Yorick said:

That Planet Comics is a good one.  There's also a Classics Illustrated Lorna Doone later release (not a first release, but still entirely drawn by Matt Baker).

You'll notice at the end of the grouped photos, the seller has some close-up additional photos of specific comics.  What generally is happening when I see this kind of thing, is that there are a bunch of knowledgeable collectors asking about those higher value books, and the seller posts additional photos of them.  You are not the only one who had noticed that auction.

I see a couple in there I wouldn't mind having for sure. 

Whenever I've tried a couple of these estate sales locally I've nearly been trampled by a rush of people stampeding into the open who instantly spread all over the house from basement to attic.  Once my comic book sniffing radar hones in on the key spot I care about I'm greeted by a small cadre of like minded individuals with sharp elbows, steely-eyes and cat that caught the canary grins.  At the end of the day I start feeling for whomever used to live here and then note that the prices realized are above what I probably would have paid here on the boards lol.

Edited by path4play

On 12/9/2022 at 4:17 PM, jas1vans said:

I had a little time and it wasn't too far so I figured I'd pop by the sale and at least take a look at the books. They were all a little nicer than I'd expected, but then the Blue Bolt really delivered. There's no way my bid even came close.

20221209_130911.jpg

20221209_130937.jpg

Double cover!  Damn, get me a ticket to the Wisconsin airport and a rental to Elm Grove. Get that if you can!

Edited by path4play

On 12/9/2022 at 3:17 PM, jas1vans said:

I had a little time and it wasn't too far so I figured I'd pop by the sale and at least take a look at the books. They were all a little nicer than I'd expected, but then the Blue Bolt really delivered. There's no way my bid even came close.

20221209_130911.jpg

20221209_130937.jpg

Wow; I wonder how many people noticed that -- most likely not any phone bidders -- that's why you have to go in person (as well as to check to see if the back cover is there or not).

I also wonder if the winner has been notified, since it's 3 hours past the cut-off...

On 12/9/2022 at 4:17 PM, jas1vans said:

20221209_130911.jpg

20221209_130937.jpg

How much for the carpet? :insane: