• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question with graded notes on one of my grail books.
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a Fantastic Four #48 CGC 9.2 WP. The grader notes state the following. I'm not sure if these grader notes are normal for this type of book? What are your thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325441640958

Grader Notes
Right Center Front Cover Small Tape Pull Breaks Color
Right Top Front Cover Small Crease Breaks Color
Edited by Pboned

On 12/7/2022 at 11:04 AM, Pboned said:

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a Fantastic Four #48 CGC 9.2 WP. The grader notes state the following. I'm not sure if these grader notes are normal for this type of book? What are your thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325441640958

Grader Notes
Right Center Front Cover Small Tape Pull Breaks Color
Right Top Front Cover Small Crease Breaks Color

Not sure what your question is.  Assuming you're asking if the comic is graded correctly:

I see some damage to the top right corner and a very small tape pull.
Spine looks very nice and the corners look pretty good.
I might go with 9.2 based on those defects but I do see what looks like large, numerous horizontal creases around the Four in Fantastic Four.  The apparent creases worry me, they may be an optical illusion but the book may have been pressed incorrectly and reverted or something else is going on.

I also see several comments about poor communication and he didn't reply to those comments.  While his feedback isn't awful that's a moderate concern.   I want to deal with a seller who communicates well and replies to negatives and tries to address problems, especially when buying a book like this.

Looking at the seller's items sold and items for sale I see nothing recently sold or for sale that's worth anywhere near the value of this book.  That's not necessarily a concern but it does make me wonder if the seller is selling a bunch of cheaper items to set up a large scam.

I also see he's posted pics of the four corners of this book.  Perhaps he does that for every graded book he sells, not a bad idea, or perhaps he knows the book has reverted and he's doing it to cover his arse and make it harder for the buyer to return this book.

I'd pass on this book.  

On 12/7/2022 at 2:01 PM, thehumantorch said:

Not sure what your question is.  Assuming you're asking if the comic is graded correctly:

I might go with 9.2 based on those defects but I do see what looks like large, numerous horizontal creases around the Four in Fantastic Four.  The apparent creases worry me, they may be an optical illusion but the book may have been pressed incorrectly and reverted or something else is going on.

I also see several comments about poor communication and he didn't reply to those comments.  While his feedback isn't awful that's a moderate concern.   I want to deal with a seller who communicates well and replies to negatives and tries to address problems, especially when buying a book like this.

Looking at the seller's items sold and items for sale I see nothing recently sold or for sale that's worth anywhere near the value of this book.  That's not necessarily a concern but it does make me wonder if the seller is selling a bunch of cheaper items to set up a large scam.

I also see he's posted pics of the four corners of this book.  Perhaps he does that for every graded book he sells, not a bad idea, or perhaps he knows the book has reverted and he's doing it to cover his arse and make it harder for the buyer to return this book.

I'd pass on this book.  

I appreciate all your information.

I've never bought a older book (Mostly Modern books), I wasn't sure if the grader notes were bad or normal for this type of book. I also seen his previous reviews and was wondering why for the negative reviews and lack of comments.    

On 12/7/2022 at 1:01 PM, thehumantorch said:

I'd pass on this book.  

What is also concerning is this specific seller has also sold this book 2x already,,,,,   ( cgc certs match) 

image.thumb.png.93b344cb2940fd5b4977bec195087baf.png

On 12/7/2022 at 2:16 PM, W16227 said:

What is also concerning is this specific seller has also sold this book 2x already,,,,,   ( cgc certs match) 

image.thumb.png.93b344cb2940fd5b4977bec195087baf.png

I actually mentioned that to him. He stated the last 2 people fell through with paying. When I was watching the last auction, I had a feeling that someone was just bidding to raise the price. Not sure if it was the owner of the comic or someone else to mess around with possible buyers.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:15 PM, Pboned said:

I appreciate all your information.

I've never bought a older book (Mostly Modern books), I wasn't sure if the grader notes were bad or normal for this type of book. I also seen his previous reviews and was wondering why for the negative reviews and lack of comments.    

Well - the notes are normal for older books - but you also need to take a good look over the book to see if you like that book with the specific defects in that grade....  

example - same age book - 9.2 grade I just got back 

Comic Description:
Fantastic Four 49 4/66 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
light tanning interior cover
light, multiple crease front cover breaks color
very light wear all corners

now - these defects are very light - but some might see the tanning and skip/ not pay top dollar for the comic based on this specific defect. 

On 12/7/2022 at 2:23 PM, W16227 said:

Well - the notes are normal for older books - but you also need to take a good look over the book to see if you like that book with the specific defects in that grade....  

example - same age book - 9.2 grade I just got back 

Comic Description:
Fantastic Four 49 4/66 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
light tanning interior cover
light, multiple crease front cover breaks color
very light wear all corners

now - these defects are very light - but some might see the tanning and skip/ not pay top dollar for the comic based on this specific defect. 

That's true. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes. 

What's the small tape pull? All I see is a common printing defect that many of these FF 48's have. 

Book without ink loss defect...

476474997_fantasticfour48cgc8_edited.jpg.75fe222aab61b8aff1a27c2fcf196557.jpg

Book with ink loss defect...

371552773_fantasticfour48cgc9_edited.jpg.86908d2faac0dd1f142d63798cae7ca4.jpg

ebay book in question, has same ink loss in the same place, that is not a tape pull unless I'm missing something else.

2059067633_fantasticfour48ebay.jpg.afa31741af78ee24af6879e19348abe6.jpg