• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spiderman Interior by S. Larroca. Is this degration of inks or nothing to worry about?

4 posts in this topic

I received this page in the page the other week. It's from the main Amazing Spider-Man title, circa 2008. The artist is Salvator Larroca. First off, I love the page. I think he does a great rendition, the lines are super tight and clean and sharp and what's not to love?!

I did notice, though, that when looking at the page through light there's a red hue apparent in several portions. It looks like he used two different types of inks and the red appears where he used one type. Not sure if it's the one type of ink degrading in some way?

I vaguely recall hearing that artists were experimenting using different mediums during the 80s and 90s, some of which were... not very archival. And there are stories from that period where the inks have turned from black to brown/red over time. Or in worse cases faded dramatically.

IMG_5008.thumb.JPG.b3a6e9bee2d37d917e85bab3fe07a822.JPG

IMG_5069.thumb.JPG.11f653491297669090f60fd0966e1569.JPG

IMG_5073.thumb.JPG.63be6ab08dad563c8b3719a726a3d2f9.JPG

IMG_5072.thumb.JPG.131e05b191703f510b310d4bf65cafba.JPG

On 12/9/2022 at 4:07 PM, Unca Ben said:

Marker?

I have a couple Gil Kane pieces where the marker has faded a bit.  Turned red / brown. 

:(

Is there a consensus on whether this happens naturally (slowly over time) despite conditions. Or is it accentuated by relative daylight?

Not positive but from what I can see it's very likely marker. So there's a combination of archival inks and non-archival inks at play here from what I'm now gathering.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:48 AM, Phill the Governor said:

:(

Is there a consensus on whether this happens naturally (slowly over time) despite conditions. Or is it accentuated by relative daylight?

Not positive but from what I can see it's very likely marker. So there's a combination of archival inks and non-archival inks at play here from what I'm now gathering.

I keep mine in a drawer away from light.  I wouldn't' hang then on a wall.  That being said, I imagine time plays a factor as well.  That being said, mine haven't seemed to fade much more than when I got them.

It's a shame because I'd love to display them.  Maybe someday I'll make copies.