• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pick Six Comics
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I think he means the boards, which would seem obvious for his books, but has been a temptation, of me as well, to beginners who may not know their "interests" or what they would consider "keys for themselves.

Newish submitters could look at comics with a vague memory and ask themselves, "do I submit this?"

This was a common question when I joined lol

Like why submit? The market wasn't as crazy, not too many flippers, or they were more apparent.  In other words they'd ask if they should, and a typical thread would go on to, are you a flipper, speculator, collector? All with self reflecting reasons. Lol

This sounds old hat, but if your on cgc then submitting would be talked about in such fashion.

1st thought I had was of the next books to be questioned? We'd see moderns that aren't read, and we would be expected  to tell them if they had "substance" or any of the other reasons I rambled on about lol

:roflmao: ramble on Led Zeppelin  haha idk I'll see myself out ha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/7/2022 at 10:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think he means the boards, which would seem obvious for his books, but has been a temptation, of me as well, to beginners who may not know their "interests" or what they would consider "keys for themselves.

Newish submitters could look at comics with a vague memory and ask themselves, "do I submit this?"

This was a common question when I joined lol

Like why submit? The market wasn't as crazy, not too many flippers, or they were more apparent.  In other words they'd ask if they should, and a typical thread would go on to, are you a flipper, speculator, collector? All with self reflecting reasons. Lol

This sounds old hat, but if your on cgc then submitting would be talked about in such fashion.

1st thought I had was of the next books to be questioned? We'd see moderns that aren't read, and we would be expected  to tell them if they had "substance" or any of the other reasons I rambled on about lol

:roflmao: ramble on Led Zeppelin  haha idk I'll see myself out ha

Exactly. Actually thought think this would fit better in the newbie section, hit post a bit to quickly.  Possible movement @CGC Mike?

Either way good opportunity to give advice. 

On 12/8/2022 at 3:25 PM, BlackOut21 said:

Exactly. Actually thought think this would fit better in the newbie section, hit post a bit to quickly.  Possible movement @CGC Mike?

Either way good opportunity to give advice. 

Amen. I don't blame you. People have different interests and all that, when it gets into motivation it can be dicey. Basically I use the spare a grade section sometimes for that. :shy:

Used too people would also say to only slab if the value was over a certain amount, but that too is not one size fits all.

Basically when this gets moved, my offering is at least make it worth the cost to slab, otherwise it's a pinup picture in a case. That might be suitable for some, but that gets into too much of a novelty trinket territory for me. :)

That might even suit some  :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/7/2022 at 5:16 PM, BlackOut21 said:

Pick six comics. It doesn’t matter what you choose. 1picture 10pictures 100pictures. 

Ask cgc if it would be worth getting it slab. 

I’ll go first. 

you want me to post 100 pictures of the same six books? huh?

whatever you're going for, there might be some benefit to rephrasing the question.

But also, if you personally are trying to decide what to get slabbed, you'll have to provide some personal criteria, as it is extremely subjective on whether something is 'worth it' for any given individual.  And then even after you've found that criteria, you can probably do your own research.

If you have more specific criteria about what others might consider or how to research something specific, you should probably ask those questions specifically.

Make it easy for people to respond and help (if that's what you're looking for).

Also, whether something should be graded generally is impacted by the value of the comic, which is hugely impacted by the condition of the comic, which can only be judged (if imperfectly) over the internet with pictures.  So providing a picture where most of the comics are largely covered is largely not helpful.  But again, I'm not 1000% sure what you're going for, so maybe its fine.  BUT if you are currently at the point in your comic collecting where its not clear that condition and value are correlated (or know but don't care), you should either be submitting all of your comics (because congrats you're rich and our economy could use the boost of your dollars) or submitting NONE of them.  

Edited by revat

On 12/9/2022 at 12:34 PM, revat said:

you want me to post 100 pictures of the same six books? huh?

whatever you're going for, there might be some benefit to rephrasing the question.

But also, if you personally are trying to decide what to get slabbed, you'll have to provide some personal criteria, as it is extremely subjective on whether something is 'worth it' for any given individual.  And then even after you've found that criteria, you can probably do your own research.

If you have more specific criteria about what others might consider or how to research something specific, you should probably ask those questions specifically.

Make it easy for people to respond and help (if that's what you're looking for).

Also, whether something should be graded generally is impacted by the value of the comic, which is hugely impacted by the condition of the comic, which can only be judged (if imperfectly) over the internet with pictures.  So providing a picture where most of the comics are largely covered is largely not helpful.  But again, I'm not 1000% sure what you're going for, so maybe its fine.  BUT if you are currently at the point in your comic collecting where its not clear that condition and value are correlated (or know but don't care), you should either be submitting all of your comics (because congrats you're rich and our economy could use the boost of your dollars) or submitting NONE of them.  

Thank you.  I normally only get a book slabbed to reduce possible damage especially if its older or valued over a certain amount.  I may also slab a book if I want to trade or sell it to avoid questions about the condition or to maximize its value. 

As for the picture quantity, it was meant to be inclusive.  Meaning feel free to take multiple photo angles if that is what you need, a photo of each book if you need less insight, or in my case a group shot as I was hoping to take a step away from focusing so much on the grade and value and needed a bit of a nudge to just get the books slabbed because, well, I wanted to.  

Hopefully I answered your questions?