• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade Dropped 0.4 After Resubmitting + CCS ???

18 posts in this topic

Top right corner in your before slab...seen that a dozen times: looks like the cover is higher than the interior, this is due to how the book was slabbed, possibly tightness or it sticking, and results in the cover and interior pulling apart during shipping/handling/shaking. Basically small rips near the staple and pulling...I have it on a 9.6 book that I know won't regrade as such (and if I tap the case I can 'reset' the interior into the cover wrap)

any notes?

Edited by Sauce Dog

The original label says "signed by Liefeld" and now your submission says "signed and sketch by Liefeld."  I could be missing it, but I don't see a sketch in your "before" photo.

Maybe you are getting back a different book?  Maybe someone at CCS decided to add a quick sketch to your cover at no extra charge? :jokealert:

On 12/8/2022 at 4:05 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Top right corner in your before slab...seen that a dozen times: looks like the cover is higher than the interior, this is due to how the book was slabbed, possibly tightness or it sticking, and results in the cover and interior pulling apart during shipping/handling/shaking. Basically small rips near the staple and pulling...I have it on a 9.6 book that I know won't regrade as such (and if I tap the case I can 'reset' the interior into the cover wrap)

any notes?

light spine stress lines to cover
light, multiple crease right center of front cover

Ouch, that's a rough one.

It's weird that they are the only ones to touch a comic when it's slabbed and the only ones to touch it re-slabbing, yet won't keep the original grade.

I wish CGC would stand behind their product.

On 12/9/2022 at 12:57 PM, Lothran said:

Ouch, that's a rough one.

It's weird that they are the only ones to touch a comic when it's slabbed and the only ones to touch it re-slabbing, yet won't keep the original grade.

I wish CGC would stand behind their product.

would you be happier if they didn't grade it independently of who pressed it?

CCS should probably do a better job, and perhaps CGC grading should be more consistent overall, but what you're suggesting makes no sense.  Keeping a grade simply because the sister company did the pressing would ruin the integrity of the entire grading system.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:15 PM, JollyComics said:

I missed ol' days.  We usually reused the grade labels after the signatures.  Not anymore.  Too much risks to lose the grades and money.

What do you mean?

On 12/9/2022 at 4:38 PM, revat said:

would you be happier if they didn't grade it independently of who pressed it?

CCS should probably do a better job, and perhaps CGC grading should be more consistent overall, but what you're suggesting makes no sense.  Keeping a grade simply because the sister company did the pressing would ruin the integrity of the entire grading system.

If you send something in for pressing, of course you expect the grade to change. I was referring to sending something in for signing and coming back lower. It seems there is a bit of variation in grading and to me, it would be nice if they stood behind their previous grades if they are the only ones that accessed the comic.

On 12/9/2022 at 4:35 PM, Ryan. said:

What do you mean?

For example, I cracked four cases. All of them had two 9.4, one 9.6 and one 9.8. I made the windows for Neal Adams' signatures.  I put the label in each bag. CGC witnessed Neal Adams signed my four books.  All came back with SAME grades.  That was in 2012.  Today, CGC doesn't do that anymore so it's not worthy to crack the case for the signatures.  They don't use the old labels anymore.  Once you open the case, the book must be re-graded.   How disappointment, they went to the different approach so I am no longer to open the cases and don't want to risk the grades.  Now from on, I will buy the raw grade copies for the future signatures but not much (after Stan Lee passed away and Neal Adams increased his signature prices which was outrageously insane).  I had hot sells of 9.8 copies but all of a sudden, it became a cold sells for the 9.8 copies. It already hurts my sales. That is how CGC changes the approach which I don't like very much.

On 12/9/2022 at 6:13 PM, JollyComics said:

For example, I cracked four cases. All of them had two 9.4, one 9.6 and one 9.8. I made the windows for Neal Adams' signatures.  I put the label in each bag. CGC witnessed Neal Adams signed my four books.  All came back with SAME grades.  That was in 2012.  Today, CGC doesn't do that anymore so it's not worthy to crack the case for the signatures.  They don't use the old labels anymore.  Once you open the case, the book must be re-graded.   How disappointment, they went to the different approach so I am no longer to open the cases and don't want to risk the grades.  Now from on, I will buy the raw grade copies for the future signatures but not much (after Stan Lee passed away and Neal Adams increased his signature prices which was outrageously insane).  I had hot sells of 9.8 copies but all of a sudden, it became a cold sells for the 9.8 copies. It already hurts my sales. That is how CGC changes the approach which I don't like very much.

Someone else can chime in but I think you’ve misstated the policies in 2012.  Your comics were regraded, they just happened to get the same grade after the signatures. 

now maybe staff were more careful back then, or graders were more consistent, but I’m pretty sure your comics were regraded

the fact that you included the labels is just an administrative benefit to cgc

Edited by revat

On 12/9/2022 at 6:52 PM, Lothran said:

If you send something in for pressing, of course you expect the grade to change. I was referring to sending something in for signing and coming back lower. It seems there is a bit of variation in grading and to me, it would be nice if they stood behind their previous grades if they are the only ones that accessed the comic.

In the case of a signing, they are not the only ones to handle the comic, and that's not even considering the damage that can happen while shipping comics in a hard case that can never be perfect for an object made of multiple folded and stapled sheets of paper.

On 12/10/2022 at 9:53 AM, revat said:

Someone else can chime in but I think you’ve misstated the policies in 2012.  Your comics were regraded, they just happened to get the same grade after the signatures. 

now maybe staff were more careful back then, or graders were more consistent, but I’m pretty sure your comics were regraded

the fact that you included the labels is just an administrative benefit to cgc

In the early days of the SS program, you’d get the same grade at worst if you sent in a blue label slab.  CGC purposely maintained grades in order to foster confidence in resubbing blues for yellow.  It was a given.  Even if you cracked the book, you would include the label to get a credit towards your SS submission(updating the census in the process).

Edited by THE_BEYONDER