• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General Question
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Not blasting another boardies name on here. But let just say seller has items insured, never had issue with postal office items were sent from or way sent. Buyer never optioned for shipping preference, then the same day books arrive buyer claims damage to books, images of items are suspicious (all damaged in same spot) and ask buyer to give me a day to investigate. See about filing claim, then buyer demands a partial refund or full refund without giving me ample time to view damage. Consult the shipping partner or anything else. Is it just me or does this just sound like buyers remorse after the fact, especially when buyer has purchased from seller before. Items were shipped and packaged same way with no complaint.

On 12/8/2022 at 10:58 PM, longshot975 said:

Not blasting another boardies name on here. But let just say seller has items insured, never had issue with postal office items were sent from or way sent. Buyer never optioned for shipping preference, then the same day books arrive buyer claims damage to books, images of items are suspicious (all damaged in same spot) and ask buyer to give me a day to investigate. See about filing claim, then buyer demands a partial refund or full refund without giving me ample time to view damage. Consult the shipping partner or anything else. Is it just me or does this just sound like buyers remorse after the fact, especially when buyer has purchased from seller before. Items were shipped and packaged same way with no complaint.

It would be normal for a buyer to claim damage the day the books arrived.  I don't see that as a red flag.

If books were damaged in shipment the damage would typically be in the same spot.  I don't see that as a red flag.

The buyer demands a refund and it's reasonable for you to take some time reviewing the photos and/or contact the shipper.  Don't be pressured into making a decision quickly.

Items were shipped and packaged the same.  Just because some packages get through without damage doesn't mean that they all get through without damage.  If the buyer has purchased from you before and didn't complain that would suggest he's a reasonable buyer and not a scammer.

Can I ask how you're packaging your comic shipments?

Edited by thehumantorch

On 12/8/2022 at 9:58 PM, longshot975 said:

My mind-reading equipment is on the fritz due to the weather, but it seems to me it could be buyer's remorse, but it could also be a panic reaction if the books actually were damaged.

On 12/8/2022 at 10:58 PM, longshot975 said:

I'd really like to think that people here would not purposely damage books they bought to get out of owning them.

I have probably sent out at least 600 packages this year (sold my record collection in it's entirety) and I only had one USPS damaged box in all of those. They dropped something pointed on the box and shattered the record, that was packed between a couple pieces of cardboard before it was boxed. Solid packing on my part, but with enough force to cause damage. In my experience, with proper packing USPS can mishandle a box quite a bit before damage happens, but every now and again, the best packing process can't stop the occasional someone from driving a forklift fork through the box.

As for the other stuff, I would also like to think that Boardies would have patience to let the process work it's way through. I mean, this isn't Ebay (thank god) so the whole Amazon-get-my-money-back-in-24-hours concept doesn't really fit the way we buy and sell in this community.

It sounds like you're doing your part as seller - nothing you're describing seems unreasonable in regards to timeframe.

• Administrator
On 12/22/2022 at 1:23 PM, longshot975 said:

I was going to just delete it CGC Mike I have gotten the feedback i needed regarding the issue

I would prefer to leave this thread up in case the buyer wishes to chime in.

On 12/22/2022 at 11:23 AM, longshot975 said:

I was going to just delete it CGC Mike I have gotten the feedback i needed regarding the issue

I just took a look at your shipping/return policy - and I think I see where there could be a "hassle factor". For instance, you insure a $15 book and say "no returns since everything is insured." - you are likely better off taking that extra $2-$3 you will spend on insurance and spending it on packing materials (more cardboard, bigger box, extra postage to send Priority while using their materials, etc) to ensure less of a chance of damage happening in transit. The "hassle factor" being that because you don't offer returns means you have to mess around with the claims process - which for me - is valuable time spent dinking around for a $15 claim.

Now, I don't know how much the cost was of the buying scenario you laid out, but that's my 2¢.

Edit: I just looked at the Probation Discussions and photos therein, and you definitely need more packing material in there to keep books from being damaged. Based on the photos, I sincerely don't think he had buyer's remorse - those books could have easily been damaged in transit.

I am not 100% sure, but Media Mail travels the entire journey via truck, while 1st Class and Priority travel via Air to delivery truck - which leaves a lot of room for damage potential when items are sent Media Mail without solid packing.

Edited by Dr. Balls

• Administrator
On 12/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, longshot975 said:

well i was going to delete it and move it to where others were saying it should be

I have already moved the thread to comics general for you, as it was in the hey buddy can you spare a grade section.  In addition, you have a thread about this in marketplace probations.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:46 AM, Dr. Balls said:

All I want for Christmas is a Friday thread.

gif-king-56bc51d8eb2d8b977d8079e0f484e270.gif

This thread, and its shotgun other threads, is a great, flaming dig-your-own-grave tutorial.

On 12/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, lizards2 said:

This thread, and its shotgun other threads, is a great, flaming dig-your-own-grave tutorial.

I know, right? We're right there. It's like we're edging on a Friday thread. I can't take the suspense. Will it happen? Won't it? We'll see!