• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that had back cover folded!
3 3

12 posts in this topic

I have a number of Silver age comics from 1964-1966 that had the back cover fold in half so there is a crease from top to bottom!

My first thought was it was a way for the retail stores to "destroy" the unsold books. Why would anyone do that? Has anyone else seen this or knows why it was done?

Finally, even if the front of the books are from a 7.0 to 9.2 but the back is creased like this, how does this affect the grade?  Some are in the white and can't be seen all that well but still reduces the integrity of the book and will show when handled by the grader. Some cause noticeable color break. Thanks in advance.

c1.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

Edited by phantomdj
Add pics

On 12/9/2022 at 4:23 PM, phantomdj said:

Is there a max grade then like @Funny Books mentioned?

If your books were all 9.8 NM/MT aside from the full-length, color-breaking, back cover subscription crease, we could give you a ball-park maximum.  But, even without seeing 'em, I'm willing to venture that they're not.  If you want feedback on a specific book, consider assembling a complete set of images and then requesting opinions via the Spare-A-Grade (PGM) Forum.  Good luck!   :foryou:

On 12/9/2022 at 9:19 PM, JollyComics said:

Matt Nelson once told me (he was with WW Comics before joining CGC). It doesn't matter if the book is in the excellent condition with the subscription crease.  It will get 5.5 period. That's what he said.

What he said no better than 5.5 because of the sub crease

On 12/9/2022 at 6:23 PM, phantomdj said:

That very well may be the answer. Is there a max grade then like @Funny Books mentioned?

It is the answer and, yes, a subscription crease will result in a lower mid-grade cap no matter how nice the rest of the book looks.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:26 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I've seen subscription creases get a 7.0 max.

7.0?

I would hope not.

An otherwise NM book with a sub crease should max out at FN- 5.5 

I max out a book at 7.0 if a CB crease is more than an inch long.