• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you post all your art on caf or just select pieces?
4 4

116 posts in this topic

I have a caf account and I’ve posted maybe 50 pieces over the past few years, but I’ve been lazy or reluctant or both or neither to post more. Not really sure why, can’t quite put my finger on it. 

my question is, do you post everything or keep some/most/little private? And why?

I've posted about 1/2 of my stuff (right now, that's about 350 plus pieces). I've thought about doing the other 1/2 and I might do that sometime when I have nothing else better to do. I don't do very many big (expensive) things these days, although if the right piece came around that wasn't priced out of current FMV, I might pull the trigger. 

I post for me. Like Andahaion, I do it for record keeping and easy access viewing. Most of my collection doesn't garner many views, but I'm perfectly okay with that. I like what I like and choose more for the artist than for the character. I like OA because at one point of time, the artist held the piece in their hand and put pencil to paper. That's the true excitement and joy for me. I don't worry about keeping things private, but I understand why others do. 

I stay on top of posting mine for two reasons, (I've added probably 6-700 pieces). I think there are so few people in real life who appreciate the art at least a few people will online and then if there was ever a fire, hurricane or theft I would have visual proof of all the pieces I own to go with my spreadsheet for insurance purposes.

I have posted about 90% of my art collection on CAF.  The pieces I have not posted are either very minor (in my opinion) or adult-oriented (about 2-3 pieces) and do not think they would be appropriate for CAF.  However, of those 3, one is a Dan Brereton piece which I feel may be acceptable to post the more I ponder on it.

Of the art I do posts, why do I do it?  Perhaps there are people who would appreciate some of those pieces in my meager collection as much as I do.  Also, my collection may help draw people who may have similar pieces that they may wish to offer to sell to me.

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel

Zero , but once upon a time I did have about 40% of my collection displayed in my now no longer available gallery.

Back when I displayed I had occasions where folks did not understand nothing was for sale. It got "uncomfortable" one too many times for me.

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/10/2022 at 2:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

Back when I displayed I had occasions where folks did not understand nothing was for sale.

It's funny, considering the size of my collection, I have yet to encounter the personalities you describe.  Don't know if that's just luck, or the obvious focus of my collection, or whatever.

As for how I post, my CAF gallery doesn't reflect my entire collection by a long chalk.  I used to feverishly post whatever I got once it arrived, but have backed off that pace considerably. 

Any chance at my proceeding within the hobby with subtle discretion has long since passed, that lady has sung.  I wish I'd known better when I first started out, would have spent less money, and my collection would probably be larger.  A pity, really.

Generally speaking, I now try to post one thing a week on Fridays.  Doesn't need to be a Big Deal piece.  Just a weekly drumbeat, helping promote the titles I'm collecting.  So I guess my posting habits are pretty self-serving. 

I do like to use CAF as a visual reference, easier for me to look online at (most of) my own collection than drag out the Itoyas.

Edited by thethedew

On 12/10/2022 at 4:23 PM, thethedew said:

It's funny, considering the size of my collection, I have yet to encounter the personalities you describe.  Don't know if that's just luck, or the obvious focus of my collection, or whatever.

It may be more obvious on your gallery that you do not sell?  Or simply luck. 

On 12/10/2022 at 2:39 PM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

I have posted about 90% of my art collection on CAF.  The pieces I have not posted are either very minor (in my opinion) or adult-oriented (about 2-3 pieces) and do not think they would be appropriate for CAF.  However, of those 3, one is Dan Brereton piece which I feel may be acceptable to post the more I ponder on it.

Of the art I do posts, why do I do it?  Perhaps there are people who would appreciate some of those pieces in my meager collection as much as I do.  Also, my collection may help draw people who may have similar pieces that they may wish to offer to sell to me.

Ditto on all counts, except the Brereton detail.

On 12/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, Twanj said:

I like seeing what people got, I hope they enjoy seeing what I have. I try to post everything.

I agree it's cool to know what still exists out there!

So you subscribe to the “I’ll show you mine if you show me yours” philosophy.  I feel as if I’ve heard that, albeit in a different context. 😉

"Fresh to Market".  I'd imagine some collectors may eventually sell some of their collection.  If/when, artwork that has been sitting in a black hole without any eyeballs on it might do better than a piece that everyone can go visit regularly.

But on the flip side, the Mona Lisa seems to be doing great with all the posters, postcards, t-shirts, etc that she appears on.

(shrug)

On 12/10/2022 at 1:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

Zero , but once upon a time I did have about 40% of my collection displayed in my now no longer available gallery.

Back when I displayed I had occasions where folks did not understand nothing was for sale. It got "uncomfortable" one too many times for me.

Did you get tired of people asking, or did they start to get pushy?

i will sometimes come across a piece that is NFS, but I’ll ask anyways - who knows if they are looking to find another piece. But I also do it to keep tabs on a piece I would absolutely be interested in, just to have a reminder in my inbox.

On 12/10/2022 at 12:52 PM, G.A.tor said:

my question is, do you post everything or keep some/most/little private? And why?

What's CAF? (shrug)

On 12/10/2022 at 6:14 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Did you get tired of people asking, or did they start to get pushy?

i will sometimes come across a piece that is NFS, but I’ll ask anyways - who knows if they are looking to find another piece. But I also do it to keep tabs on a piece I would absolutely be interested in, just to have a reminder in my inbox.

That is fine and very welcome at times, in fact some of my best comic art hobby friends were met that way.  What drove me away was far more than that with an "incident" at a con.

Edited by MAR1979