• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you post all your art on caf or just select pieces?
4 4

116 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2022 at 12:37 PM, Will_K said:

I don't recall seeing comments re: price on CAF.  Definitely not as much as on these boards. 

I meant comments made on this board yes

there is clearly a large element of crossover, so what said here certainly can apply there

On 12/11/2022 at 6:05 PM, G.A.tor said:

I meant comments made on this board yes

there is clearly a large element of crossover, so what said here certainly can apply there

I believe the crossover is only large in one direction. Most of the people who talk in the original art forum here are certainly members of CAF, but I'd wager theres only a small number of total CAF users who are also members here. 

edit: After rereading your comment a few times, I'm actually not sure anymore this is what you were trying to say. Apologies if I read your message wrong lol 

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/11/2022 at 4:15 PM, All-Star Squadman said:

- and I don't necessarily want to be held for ransom - "e.g., I'll only trade you this piece if _____ in your CAF gallery is part of the deal"

A very good point!

I display select pieces, probably a bit more than half my collection.

Yes, I am finding the above to be true more and more frequently.  I have also found people see dollar signs and an easy target based on what I show. 

Here is a peek behind the curtain...  I entered the hobby a few years back and saw a small window of opportunity to scoop up a lot of pieces I personally enjoyed, but also believed I would be priced out of the market if I didn't act quickly.  This proved to be true, so I am grateful for the timing.  I sold my comic collection during the pandemic when prices on books were crazy high, thinking books couldn't sustain because of quantity and art would because of the rarity.  My strategy with certain art pieces was  to overpay slightly in particular situations in which it was necessary to sweeten the pot enough to entice reluctant sellers in hopefully a win-win for both.  This was a deliberate strategy for a season with the awareness it was not sustainable long term unless the art market continued to grow exponentially.  I reluctantly sold a few big pieces to cover my initial seed capital in respect to both comics and OA and now enjoy a zero-debt collection.  

I think I have around 50% of my collection posted, but I made the decision to save new uploads for reveal during the live shows I sometimes do with Bill and Dinesh.  Dinesh's reveals are typically epic, so I need to ensure I have some way to be relevant  when we all get together virtually.  :roflmao:

Even in light of the above, I still plan to post the majority of my pieces at some point.  I like sharing and connecting with people who share similar enjoyment whether it be first appearance collecting or specific characters involved.  

In response to one of the other mentioned of "overpay posts", I have definitely seen a few of those regarding pieces I've grabbed; but I love what I buy and research a ton.

On 12/12/2022 at 12:05 AM, Xatari said:

I think I have around 50% of my collection posted, but I made the decision to save new uploads for reveal during the live shows I sometimes do with Bill and Dinesh.  Dinesh's reveals are typically epic, so I need to ensure I have some way to be relevant  when we all get together virtually.  :roflmao:

I don't see the appeal to those shows to be honest, I imagine it's supposed to have the same feeling as Youtube unboxing videos, which I never really understood either. But it was during one of your recent shows that I tuned in for a bit just to mingle in the chat and learned that the Notes app has a scanner and I've been using it ever since, so I thank you for that :cheers:

On 12/11/2022 at 9:28 PM, JC25427N said:

I don't see the appeal to those shows to be honest, I imagine it's supposed to have the same feeling as Youtube unboxing videos, which I never really understood either. But it was during one of your recent shows that I tuned in for a bit just to mingle in the chat and learned that the Notes app has a scanner and I've been using it ever since, so I thank you for that :cheers:

"The More You Know!"  

They aren't for everyone for sure, but I enjoy chatting art with Bill and Dinesh for a few hours several times throughout the year.  I find that rhythm helps keep me on track to post and keeps me accountable.  Additionally, I am grateful for what Bill has done for the community, and it's a nice way to give back with new content.

Edited by Xatari

On 12/12/2022 at 12:41 AM, Xatari said:

"The More You Know!"  

They aren't for everyone for sure, but I enjoy chatting art with Bill and Dinesh for a few hours several times throughout the year.  I find that rhythm helps keep me on track to post and keeps me accountable.  Additionally, I am grateful for what Bill has done for the community, and it's a nice way to give back with new content.

Well when you put it that way, I guess I do understand the appeal of those shows then lol It is nice to just hop in and chat about art 

💯 

I find it a bit stale if we are always talking about the same topics, but when I see new art in those shows, I really enjoy it.

Sometimes there will be a piece that goes on auction only to appear on a CAF show and the community gains some understanding/insight and maybe even newfound appreciation when seeing it through the new owner’s eyes. 

In the past I posted pretty much my entire collection on CAF, although sometimes with delays. With one exception because the piece has personal significance for me. But about a half a year ago I stopped collecting and stopped posting or on even visiting CAF. I am resumed collecting, but am much more selective about what I pick up. I occasionally visit CAF to see what some of the collectors I follow have gotten, and if the piece moves me enough I will leave a comment. I suspect at some point I will get around to posting the pieces that have not yet made it to CAF.

While in the past I was very much into sharing my collection on CAF, I understood why some do not. Some are very private collectors who only have an interest in interacting with other collectors that share their particular niche. As someone who for a long time also had a narrow collecting focus that was not a popular one (Simon and Kirby) I get that. Some buy into that fresh to market philosophy and want their art to have as high a value as possible when it comes time to sell any. And they are not entirely wrong because as long as there are some who believe in fresh to market, pieces that have been hidden for long enough are likely to get some sort of bump  in price.

And yes there are those who those who dislike getting asked to sell pieces that are marked on CAF as NFS. Personally I am not bothered by emails asking if I would sell something (all my CAF pieces are marked NFS, and I mean it). I answer with a polite sorry not for sale, even when it is a low ball offer. With one exception for someone who would not take no for an answer. Even then I just stopped replying to his emails.

I pretty much post everything I own to CAF. Great way to catalog my art and look at it while I am at work. Also I don't mind people reaching out to me to inquire about buying or trading pieces. I have made some good sales and trades via people on CAF reaching out to me. Also NFS for me just means I am not shopping a piece but for the right price it may be available. I only have around 10 truly NFS pieces.

On 12/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, Nate Hartz said:

I post everything on CAF. I just like sharing the artwork with others. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and like the interactions with other collectors. 

Amen to that. I am in the same type of situation - and these boards and CAF are a great resource and outlet for those of us far and away from comic conventions or get-togethers.

I definitely do NOT post everything on CAF. I used to when I first started collecting but then I made a trade I immediately regretted. After that I decided I would no longer post art I was not willing to trade or sell. This last year I decided I would start posting once again but with the caveat that I would price my art for sale at a price point I would be comfortable receiving in order to let go of the art (mostly very expensive prices except on those pieces I really want to sell or out of my collection). I am sad to report this has not deterred CAF members of making low ball offers.

Additional reasons which I will not go into have led me to stray off CAF again and also from the YouTube videos which I eagerly looked forward too previously. I never thought I would say this but I think I am very worn out of collecting original art partly because of how the market has outpriced me on the art I would most love to have and in a big manner by some of the people in the community.

I will say something positive that I have made several dear friends from this hobby that I have been pleased to meet in person and talk and enjoy art with. One of those such persons I've yet to meet in person but look forward to do so this coming year.

I hope some time away from the hobby will help me fall in love with it once again.